• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
Finally got my Vega 56 after Yodel lost it and refused to help so I went to the local franchise owners instead.

Defiantly worth the wait, really good price for performance stock, Will have a go at undervolting once I've done a bit of homework.

Associate
Vega 56 is a brilliant card. Too many Nvidia snobs saying it's crap when it's a tinkerers dream for tweaking and playing with. Great fun.

If the pricing had been more competitive from day one, then I think the Vega would have a better reputation than it enjoys today. It's a great card, but AMD dropped the ball on marketing it.

Soldato
Only reason I never got a Vega, was that I didn't want to upgrade my PSU. It isn't the best. A more efficient card is what I wanted, but didn't want to get into Nvidias pricing game. Navi is very interesting, but too much for me right now for what it offers. A 5800 starting at that 5700xt price would have been an available purchase, and I would upgrade for that. If I get another PSU as part of my daughters PC purchase, I may still get Vega though, it does pretty darn well.

Last edited:
Associate
Only reason I never got a Vega, was that I didn't want to upgrade my PSU. It isn't the best. A more efficient card is what I wanted, but didn't want to get into Nvidias pricing game. Back is very interesting, but too much for me right now for what it offers. A 5800 starting at that 5700xt price would have been an available purchase, and I would upgrade for that. If I get another PSU as part of my daughters PC purchase, I may still get Vega though, it does pretty darn well.

I would 100% upgrade your PSU either way if it's lacking, a good PSU will outlive the next generation of components.

Associate
Only reason I never got a Vega, was that I didn't want to upgrade my PSU. It isn't the best. A more efficient card is what I wanted, but didn't want to get into Nvidias pricing game. Back is very interesting, but too much for me right now for what it offers. A 5800 starting at that 5700xt price would have been an available purchase, and I would upgrade for that. If I get another PSU as part of my daughters PC purchase, I may still get Vega though, it does pretty darn well.

I ran my Vega on a sub 600w PSU for a while, without any issues. Sure, overclocking was basically out of the question, but it ran just fine with stock settings. It's not recommended of course, but if you know your rig's full load power draw, then you can get away it.

Soldato
If the pricing had been more competitive from day one, then-
In fairness the pricing was very competitive from day one, hence Nvidia launching a new GPU (1070ti) to try and counter it. The problem was day seven when word started getting around that the Vega 56 could outperform every GPU on the market at crypto mining and demand went to the moon sending prices following lol.

Associate
In fairness the pricing was very competitive from day one, hence Nvidia launching a new GPU (1070ti) to try and counter it. The problem was day seven when word started getting around that the Vega 56 could outperform every GPU on the market at crypto mining and demand went to the moon sending prices following lol.

I must have missed the pre-mining prices that week, and they certainly can't have lasted long! :p

Associate
Hi guys

Looking for some help with my Vega 56 crossfire

Has anyone noticed their Vegas overboosting from set clocks? I'm having an issue with mine which is resulting in consistent black screens the last few months?

On Sims 4 p7 gets locked in at nearly 40 mhz more then set in wattman but I think after a while this causes destabilising after a few hours, not sure if it's able to provide set voltage levels for these clocks or what but I'm ripping my hair out now! My Vegas seem to hate light loads for no reason what so ever!

Cheers
Migs!

Soldato
Hi guys

Has anyone noticed their Vegas overboosting from set clocks? I'm having an issue with mine which is resulting in consistent black screens the last few months?

On Sims 4 p7 gets locked in at nearly 40 mhz more then set in wattman but I think after a while this causes destabilising after a few hours, not sure if it's able to provide set voltage levels for these clocks or what but I'm ripping my hair out now! My Vegas seem to hate light loads for no reason what so ever!

Cheers
Migs!
Are they overclocked and undervolted?

Soldato
Hi guys

Cheers
Migs!

Have you tried using Chill feature in the game to limit your FPS to a certain range? That way you'r enot putting any undue stress on the card?

Associate
They are both under volted and overclocked, and chill seems to.ignore Sims 4 for some reason, eve online is prone to the same shutdowns too!

Edit:

Sorry this is wrong, they are undervolted only, using stock clocks for the targets.

25% power target, 1090 MV P7 1080 MV P6

1622 target clock p7 state, 1665 actual during Sims (locked at p7) believed to be becoming unstable due to voltage at light load even though can run under heavy load fine

Power kernel event 41, bugcheck 234

Dxkern and atimkdag (don't quote me on exact ATI driver reference it occasionally changes)

1200 superflower platinum psu, my 850 handled the two cards great at full load but again black screened like crazy, is a lot better now I have the 1200watt but is occasionally still doing it, temperature range 65-72C, HBM common temp 78 max usually. Both cards great under really heavy loads, it's driving me mad!

Last edited:
Associate
Anybody else have this issue?
If I install above 19.3.3 update, I lose the ability to select 120hz for my Samsung monitor connected through HDMI to DVI.
It only shows 60hz.

It's frustrating that it takes a few tries and crashes installing Radeon drivers the best of times, however this means that I can only install the April update should I wish to keep 120hz.

Only other alternative would be a new monitor so I could use Display Port. However that would mean my Vega 56 and i7 2600k is going to struggle with a monitor above 1080p (I think)

Associate
Anybody else have this issue?
If I install above 19.3.3 update, I lose the ability to select 120hz for my Samsung monitor connected through HDMI to DVI.
It only shows 60hz.

It's frustrating that it takes a few tries and crashes installing Radeon drivers the best of times, however this means that I can only install the April update should I wish to keep 120hz.

Only other alternative would be a new monitor so I could use Display Port. However that would mean my Vega 56 and i7 2600k is going to struggle with a monitor above 1080p (I think)

Use this program to remove all drivers and
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

This will remove motherboard also if your using AMD Proccy and board

In this order:
Disconnect from internet before boot if possible after driver uninstall.
Reinstall motherboard drivers
Reinstall GPU drivers
Report back.

Update into my issue,
First 12 hour light load stress test completed fully. Continuing to run another 12 hours under increased load.
Looks like infinity fabric/CPU destabilisation causing the gpu outings ? Starting to look like 80C isn't good enough for my 2700x? Either that or voltage regulation is sending very disruptive spikes on my system, locked loadline on the CPU with a minor CPU undervolt. Will report back!

Associate
Okay so latest update!

Test passed 24 hours, then lost 1 gpu but for once it wasn't the primary card ! It was the slave, it may be down to running out of ram though as I put Sims into unlimited Sims mode or the fact that crossfire was activated for a game that doesn't support it,

Long story short. Aio ordered as I have doubts my CPU cooler is making great contact regardless of what temps show, it idles fairly high so it's quite bad personally,

Picture of the twins ! And one failed pstate indicator :p
IMG-20190618-204543.jpg

If it isn't down to core stability then maybe the vrms somewhere are too hot ?

Associate
I've upgraded my monitor to an Asus MX34VQ (3440x1440 - 100Hz Freesync) and I am looking to try and get the Vega to run it better. At the moment, I have it boosting to 1600MHz @ 1060mv with Power at 30%. Temps seems to get to about 70-73c. I've not touched the memory - is this worth doing? The games I am playing are Div 1, Div 2 and Wildlands. Wildlands in particular is a tough game to run at 3440x1440, even on medium settings, I am seeing drops to about 40fps!! Division 1 and 2 also seem to really heat up the card.

Couple of questions:

1) Generally speaking, what fan % can you get away with before it's starting to get loud?
2) Worth overclocking memory? I've got Samsung.
3) Temp wise, anything under 75c good?
4) It's hard to find benchmarks for 3440x1440 but it seems a much harder resolution to drive than regular 2560x1440! Guess I should start looking at a Vega VII if I want smooth gameplay!?

Soldato
I've upgraded my monitor to an Asus MX34VQ (3440x1440 - 100Hz Freesync) and I am looking to try and get the Vega to run it better. At the moment, I have it boosting to 1600MHz @ 1060mv with Power at 30%. Temps seems to get to about 70-73c. I've not touched the memory - is this worth doing? The games I am playing are Div 1, Div 2 and Wildlands. Wildlands in particular is a tough game to run at 3440x1440, even on medium settings, I am seeing drops to about 40fps!! Division 1 and 2 also seem to really heat up the card.

Couple of questions:

1) Generally speaking, what fan % can you get away with before it's starting to get loud?
2) Worth overclocking memory? I've got Samsung.
3) Temp wise, anything under 75c good?
4) It's hard to find benchmarks for 3440x1440 but it seems a much harder resolution to drive than regular 2560x1440! Guess I should start looking at a Vega VII if I want smooth gameplay!?

1) I'd say this is subjective, test it out for yourself and see what you think

2) Absolutely. If you have Samsung memory I'd actually advise you to look into flashing the bios. The extra voltage really helps with memory OC & memory oc itself really helps.

3) yup

4) Kinda, esp if you target 100 fps. Frankly, you might actually need a 2080 ti to really keep it steady at this res & frame rate.

Don't worry about Wildlands, it's very difficult to run no matter what & doesn't run super well on AMD in the first place. Your core OC sound good to me if that's the real clock you maintain. Just gotta work on memory now.

Back
Top Bottom