Advice on this PC Build list

Associate
Hi,

Im looking to build a gaming pc. My spec is listed below. I was wondering if anyone could suggest me better parts for the same price range or is this overkill? The only game i will play on their is assetto corsa and maybe some other sim racing games. Other than that, it will be used for multi-tasking and surfing the web.

Motherboard- MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC PRO

CPU- Intel Core i5 9400F
(Will be using the standard CPU Cooler)

Case-Coolermaster H500M

Graphics Card- Nvidia GTX1070 8GB OC Used - R

RAM- G.Skill RGB 16gb (2x8gb) RAM

Hard Drive- Samsung MZ-V7S500BW 970 EVO Plus 500 GB Solid State Drive

PSU-Corsair VS550

Many Thanks!

Soldato
Hi welcome

I would go with a cheaper Z390 board as you can't overclock that cpu. A Gigabyte Z390 UD would still allow for an i7 and stock i9 in the future. No wifi though so you would have to add a cheap adapter if you wanted that.

The SSD could be changed for a cheaper SATA one. An NVMe won't make much difference for gaming.

I would also swap out the psu for something like a Bitfenix Formula 550W.

Also you not interested in Ryzen ? They have new cpu's out on the 7th July. If not in a rush then maybe wait and see what happens with current prices.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £244.03 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
OP
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I’ll definitely look into your suggestions. I’ve never heard of that PSU company is it reputable? Also, what would be a good gaming laptop for assetto corsa too please?

Many thanks!

Man of Honour
The Bitfenix Formula series is a much better quality PSU than the bargain basement Corsair VS series with it's cheap and nasty internals. You will get much more for your money with a AMD Ryzen based pc so it's worth waiting three weeks for the new cpu's to launch.

Soldato
CPU- Intel Core i5 9400F
(Will be using the standard CPU Cooler)

RAM- G.Skill RGB 16gb (2x8gb) RAM

Hard Drive- Samsung MZ-V7S500BW 970 EVO Plus 500 GB Solid State Drive
Intel is famous for chronically undersized coolers, if you care about noise or performance.
They basically size those coolers for Notepad use.

And Zen2 Ryzen would definitely give more for multi-tasking than Intel.
Unless were're talking about number of security holes in CPU.
Intel's public image of "reliable and secure" products is nowadays shipload of BS, because in their arrogance and greed they haven't done anything to fix design short cuts taken earlier.

You've gotta be more specific with memory.
There are simply so many different speed kits, that if you take the cheapest it's going to be handicap to some degree with any higher end CPU.

That super expensive per GB NVMe drive again is likely serious waste of limited budget.
In gaming use difference between standard SATA SSD and fastest NVME is from minimal to small.
And for getting advantages of NVMe protocol there are lot better priced NVMe SSDs with less marketing BS in price, like Corsair MP510

I’ve never heard of that PSU company is it reputable?
Most of Corsair's PSU line is made of standard cheap/average PSUs sold with brand image.
That particular VS series is basically dredged from the bottom sludge of quality barrel and only fit for very low end PC.
It would have been low end PSU already decade ago.
(and I think there are step up in quality PSUs for the price)

Unless making shoestring budget PC would consider Bitfenix Formula as good starting level.

Back
Top Bottom