Games that you used to like but now dislike

Soldato
I recently installed a few old classics that I used to love playing. Back in the day I was a huge point and click adventure game fan, so I decided to go for Broken Sword 1 and 2, Maniac Mansion, Lure of the Temptress, The Dig and Beneath a Steel Sky. Damn, time has certainly changed my opinion of them for the worse.

The puzzles that I used to enjoy figuring out were horrifically contrived and annoying; "Use feather on cat to make fishing fly. Give fly to fisherman to get fish. Use fish on inner tube to get ball from cat. Use ball on reflective disk...." Ugh...I obviously have far less patience than I used to, because I found myself annoyed at the fact that, for example, the protagonist couldn't simply kick a door through rather than follow some utterly convoluted path in order to open it.

Anyway, anyone else found themselves loathing a game or genre that they previously enjoyed?

Caporegime
I used to be an avid battlefront player, but the thought of playing the game now makes me feel nauseous.

I don’t know if I actually hate the game or whether I’ve got some kind of strange gaming/Star Wars anxiety condition :p

Soldato
Cities skylines, I don't hate it, but I can't bring myself to play it as much as I used to, makes me feel weird or ill, like a bit like it's turning into a chore due to the fact the traffic won't act right.

Associate
Dopamine and dopamine burn-out.
Things would only go downhill after your first experience of jaw-dropping graphics and unique game play. Once your dopamine system becomes sensitized, it's hard to get those feelings back, even after a lengthy abstinence. It's the same with any stimulus. Also as you age, you've gained more experience and exposure to life thus those things that you once thought were great are now nothing more than a mere memory.

On a different note, how many people spend more time reading up about games and reading game reviews than actually playing the games? How many people fire up a game, only to stop playing after 5 minutes to go back to reading crap on the internet? For me to really get into a game today, i'd have to literally have no internet at all, which is why I probably could spend hours on the NES and SNES back in the day.

Associate
Cities skylines, I don't hate it, but I can't bring myself to play it as much as I used to, makes me feel weird or ill, like a bit like it's turning into a chore due to the fact the traffic won't act right.

Cities skylines was OK when released. After you've built a city or whatever though, where is the incentive to want to go back and do it all again? Dopamine again?

Associate
Well, with all the mods the possibilities are endless, you can build anything!

Yeah, mods might extend your useful time with the game, but then what? I think like anything, there is a shelf life. Same with TV - could waste time 20 years ago watching almost anything, but now i pretty much watch nothing as i've seen it all before.

Associate
Forza 7 and Horizon 4, love the games but have gone off them, think I overplayed them, I think Forza 7 at about 97% done but just can't be bothered finishing it

Associate
MMOs - specifically World of Warcraft and Eve Online. It frightens me to think how much time I sunk into them, and yet mastery of both was so incredibly satisfying once. If I login to either now I'm instantly bored and fatigued, quite content to character/ship spin and that's it, as there's nothing worth striving for compared with the achievements and experiences of the past.

Reminds me of the Q continuum as depicted in Star Trek Voyager:

Associate
Assassins Creed series. Not hate, just done. I used to eat, sleep and breathe the whole thing but now I can't even be arsed to keep up with where it is.

Soldato
Assassins Creed series. Not hate, just done. I used to eat, sleep and breathe the whole thing but now I can't even be arsed to keep up with where it is.
If you stopped playing before Origins I'd recommend looking into it again, the series has had a complete overhaul.

Forza 7 and Horizon 4, love the games but have gone off them, think I overplayed them, I think Forza 7 at about 97% done but just can't be bothered finishing it

A question about Forza 7, what is the career like? Is it like Gran Turismo/Forza 1-4?

Not played any since 4 on 360.

Associate
I got into LoL for a while, started really enjoying it. Then I was introduced to one of the most mean spirited communities I’ve ever seen in a game. The thought of playing it now makes me wish I had the ability to reach through my screen and slap people. It’s completely ruined the game for me.

Associate
If you stopped playing before Origins I'd recommend looking into it again, the series has had a complete overhaul.

A question about Forza 7, what is the career like? Is it like Gran Turismo/Forza 1-4?

Not played any since 4 on 360.

Very similar, certain era/group cars racing 1-3 races,see below not my image though, it's ok and gets you to use different types of cars. It's a very good game and would definitely recommend it

6w59z4fjbspz.png

Man of Honour
On a different note, how many people spend more time reading up about games and reading game reviews than actually playing the games? How many people fire up a game, only to stop playing after 5 minutes to go back to reading crap on the internet? For me to really get into a game today, i'd have to literally have no internet at all, which is why I probably could spend hours on the NES and SNES back in the day.

This is me. I do this with almost everything in my life however.

The biggest turn around for me that I can remember is Fortnite. It just stopped being fun and started feeling annoying. Inb4 "it was always annoying!!1!"

Soldato
Very similar, certain era/group cars racing 1-3 races,see below not my image though, it's ok and gets you to use different types of cars. It's a very good game and would definitely recommend it

I feel the itch coming on, Motorsport was always king. Do you have a garage and all that too? Thing I hated about Horizon was being in a top end Ferrari within an hour of play with no progression left and nothing to do!

Caporegime
I enjoyed it at first, but with all the thousands of available mods and possibilities, it gets extremely fatiguing. It ends up feeling like work rather than play.

Back
Top Bottom