F1 2019

Soldato
No, you need to buy pedals separately. Good Pedals are a better investment than a direct drive wheel tbh, you'll find more time in improved braking than you will from going direct drive.

Best cheapish pedals to get are the Fanatec Elite LC pedals, despite the price the brake is notably better than the brake on the more expensive clubsport pedal series (I've owned both as well as HE pro & ultimate pedals).

If you want to go all Fanatec id suggest this setup:

Fanatec DD1 + Formula Carbon rim (Cheapest F1 rim they do) + CSL Elite Pedals LC

That's about £1500 (ish)

Plus a rig to seat the DD Wheel on too ?

Associate
Yeh it's possible but the seating position is all wrong then,if you are spending all that money I would say it's silly not to plop that gear into a rig.

I'm am definitely getting a rig for my elite before I go dd.

Associate
Just preordered the standard edition. Released on the day I finish work for 9 weeks, sweet timing :)
I ordered the slightly fancier edition which also has 3 days early unlock...…….only to find out I will be away on a short holiday so wont get to play it till after the normal edition is released doh

Associate
Man I had no idea how expensive this can get...

600 eur for a csl elite with f1 wheel and pedals, then you can upgrade to load cell brake when you are ready, then if you decide dd is for you then you only need to upgrade the base as everything else will transfer over. and fanatec stuff holds its money second hand pretty well.

Soldato
G920 sounding more tempting now? :p

Yes Im beginning to think so lol!

600 eur for a csl elite with f1 wheel and pedals, then you can upgrade to load cell brake when you are ready, then if you decide dd is for you then you only need to upgrade the base as everything else will transfer over. and fanatec stuff holds its money second hand pretty well.

Thanks marko. But this is a belt drive system I take it? Is there a great deal of difference between this and a direct drive?

Lets say going from G920 to a belt drive and then a belt drive to a direct drive.
Would I feel significant difference in the former or latter?

This one you are refering to ?
https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels/csl-elite-f1-set-officially-licensed-for-ps4-eu.html

Soldato
The CSL is a belt driven wheel base, yeah. The difference between belt driven and DD is night and day. But consider that if you're only going to be playing F1 then spending a couple of grand for a DD along with load cell pedals, it's a bit like paying out for a brand new full set of golf clubs to go and play crazy golf.

Soldato
Ok think I got it folks, thanks a million.
Oh sorry one more! Load cell braking....
I understand it is do with how much pressure you apply on the brake... rather than travel distance?

Is my understanding correct?

Associate
yeh load cell measures the pressure rather than the travel.

yip that's the one in youre link, best value for money out of their packages.

csl elite is pretty much exactly in the middle between a 920 and dd, pretty big jump either way.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's right. The cheaper pedal sets use potentiometers which measure the angle you're pressing the pedal to. They tend to be 'spongy' at best, so you rely on lots of practice and building muscle memory to give you reliable threshold braking. They are nothing like a real car.

On the other hand a load cell is specifically designed to measure the force being pressed down on the pedal. These types of pedals are much more solid* and easier to be consistent with. They are more expensive though.

*The solid feel can be created through either the use of very hard rubber dampers (Fanatecs, Heusinkveld Pros, etc) or by hydraulics (Heusinkveld Ultimates, SimTag, HPPs)

Soldato
How little I knew... many thanks folks... real insightful info on this...

Do many of you rate VR whilst racing? I havent tried it yet myself but am curious if it does really add an edge or is simply adding to the experience?

Associate
Vr is without a doubt the best thing you can get for sim racing.....well after a wheel that is.

It both gives a edge and very much adds to the experience.
If I was on g920 without vr, i would be getting vr over a new wheel without any shadow of a doubt......its awesome.

Soldato
Vr is without a doubt the best thing you can get for sim racing.....well after a wheel that is.

It both gives a edge and very much adds to the experience.
If I was on g920 without vr, i would be getting vr over a new wheel without any shadow of a doubt......its awesome.

Racing games literally the only reason I want one. No idea which one though and playing mostly F1 and Forza not exactly the best for VR lol.

Associate
Ive got an Oculus Rift. I did get the Rift S but took it back as I didnt get a chance to play with it...

Which game is more VR friendly? AC? PC2?

From my own personal experience, I get best results/experience from Raceroom, then AC (not Competizione). Can't avoid having to tinker with settings/ini files/etc. with any game though. PC2 still gives decent results and, from memory, was a bit simpler to set up.

Back
Top Bottom