Cycle RAGE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The argument goes that if people rode mountain bikes then they wouldn’t need to ride so far from the kerbs to avoid pot holes or would be more happier to ride on cycle paths which have lots of sharp debris without getting so many punctures, basically that delicate road bikes aren’t fit for purpose for riding on. Of course that argument could be used to reject any claim by a driver for any pothole damage to cars because they are driving the wrong sort of vehicle and what they are driving is not fit for purpose on your roads, which of course is a nonsense argument.

The sort of flimsy bikes the lycra gang like to ride aren't really meant for our bumpy road surfaces, which is why they get damaged all the time. But of course they all think they are Bradley Wiggins, so that's what they ride.

I mean...I'd like to put slicks on my car, but in the UK that's stupid.

Transmission breaker
Don
I am also struggling to understand what roads are unsuitable.
30mph, usually residential or city streets where traffic is slow and actually cyclists are generally able to move faster than other vehicular transport
Generally as speeds increase the roads become wider, and it becomes easier to deal with slower traffic due to the relative size of available road and speed differentials.
Road bikes are called road bikes because they are designed to work on the road, it's clear they are capable of traversing roads.

Caporegime
I am also struggling to understand what roads are unsuitable.
30mph, usually residential or city streets where traffic is slow and actually cyclists are generally able to move faster than other vehicular transport
Generally as speeds increase the roads become wider, and it becomes easier to deal with slower traffic due to the relative size of available road and speed differentials.
Road bikes are called road bikes because they are designed to work on the road, it's clear they are capable of traversing roads.

Malt, if you're ever up here I've got some shockers for you!
A road bike couldn't make it down my sister's street for example.

Associate
Reading this thread has made me wonder, around where I live and the surrounding villages there are plenty of cycle lanes off the road and pavement that are in good condition, to which my father uses on a leisurely retiree afternoon bike ride into town, however there are still a good number of cyclists that choose to cycle on the road. Could they be fined for this as they are not using the correct carriageway, a HGV driver would be fined/banned if caught using the outside lane on a motorway, I'm sure as hilarious as it would be a car using a cycle path would have similar consequences.

I do also think that there should be some cycling restrictions, such as wearing a hi-vis as some of them are impossible to see in the dark attire they choose to wear. Are there requirements of wearing a helmet? I also think they should have front and rear lights to improve visibility- I'm sure I heard somewhere that if they had one of their strobe effect lights that they had to have a light that is permanently on, I agree with this as sometimes seeing a flashing light could be misinterpreted as the lights on a car driving through (not literally!) hedges on a country road. I've also seen cyclists riding on the road using their mobile phone.

Soldato
Reading this thread has made me wonder, around where I live and the surrounding villages there are plenty of cycle lanes off the road and pavement that are in good condition, to which my father uses on a leisurely retiree afternoon bike ride into town, however there are still a good number of cyclists that choose to cycle on the road. Could they be fined for this as they are not using the correct carriageway, a HGV driver would be fined/banned if caught using the outside lane on a motorway, I'm sure as hilarious as it would be a car using a cycle path would have similar consequences.

This already happens. Cyclists get fined for using motorways. Now... how about let's ban cars from using anything but a motorway? Do you realise how stupid your point sounds now?

I do also think that there should be some cycling restrictions, such as wearing a hi-vis as some of them are impossible to see in the dark attire they choose to wear. Are there requirements of wearing a helmet? I also think they should have front and rear lights to improve visibility- I'm sure I heard somewhere that if they had one of their strobe effect lights that they had to have a light that is permanently on, I agree with this as sometimes seeing a flashing light could be misinterpreted as the lights on a car driving through (not literally!) hedges on a country road. I've also seen cyclists riding on the road using their mobile phone.

Is hivis really the magic fix you think it is? Check out how many hivis cars get hit.
JfCLNNY.png

Hivis is especially useless in the dark. Reflectives are much more useful then but still not magic.

As for helmets. There is no requirement but why should that make a difference? In case you hit a cyclist? It hasn't really been proven that cycle helmets have any notable effect. I still use one anyway but I think making it a requirement will just increase the barrier to entry for people to start cycling.

Lights. I kinda agree but it shouldn't be a requirement in the day. It is a requirement at night. I often run a front and rear flashing light during the day.

As for the mobile phone point. It's perfectly legal as long as they're still in control. Is it wise? Probably not. What damage are they going to cause if they have an accident due to being on the phone? Likely minimal compared to a motor vehicle crash caused by phone usage.

Last edited:
Soldato
No there is no requirement to ride on a cycle path, in fact if you ride over 18mph then you are advised to ride on the road instead of a shared dual use path for the safety of pedestrians.

No, helmets are not mandatory but most people I know wear one. Lots of cyclists do wear black clothing when on a bicycle which I think is stupid, being seen is a priority when I’m on the road so I wear bright coloured clothes and have flashing lights on in daylight. Even then I still have cars pull out in from of me, close pass me, left hook me etc. and I only ride at the weekends early in the morning when hardly anyone is awake as it’s safer, for example I was out at 6am this morning for a few hours.

The flashing light thing only applies to riding at night, so you should have a permanently on light, not only a flashing light at night. Many bicycle lights do both at the same time these days. I never ride at night as it’s just too dangerous.

Soldato
The sort of flimsy bikes the lycra gang like to ride aren't really meant for our bumpy road surfaces, which is why they get damaged all the time. But of course they all think they are Bradley Wiggins, so that's what they ride.

Road bikes look weak but are incredibly well built and sturdy. If the force is head on then they cant take lots of punishment with no bother. Check out the belgian cobblestones as an example.

Soldato

I’ve ridden over 10k miles on my carbon road bikes on the road and none of them have been damaged because of the roads. Punctures yes but bike damage no, but for sure some of the potholes certainly can damage a bicycle as they can a car.

Man of Honour
Well they keep complaining that cycle paths are unsuitable, the roads are worse most of the time...

Nonsense

I’ve ridden over 10k miles on my carbon road bikes on the road and none of them have been damaged because of the roads. Punctures yes but bike damage no, but for sure some of the potholes certainly can damage a bicycle as they can a car.

I live in Pothole City (Stoke on Trent) and I've never had trouble with potholes on my bike because I can get out of the way of them easier.

This is the part where the cyclist knocks off his wing mirror

tCVBV4i.gif

I had one similar to this on a roundabout.
I was on Gordon Banks roundabout by Bet 365 when a motorist came straight out on me, I heard screaming from the car and then he hit me.
I miraculously stayed upright but thought he had broke my arm because of a breaking noise I heard.
It ended up being his wing mirror on a brand new BMW.
He got out shouting at me when his mate who was screaming put him right and apologised to me and told me to go.
The driver still couldn't see it was his fault but his mate told me to go if I was OK.

And I've had a 4x4 driver do exactly to me what is in that video although I accept they didn't aim for me.
She overtook and then realised something was coming the other way so came back in where I was hit and ended up on the pavement.
Again I was unhurt but her car was in a mess and once again she was laying all the blame on me but I'd got about 30 witnesses all walking out from the hospital.

In fact I could just post scores of incidents I've had and not one has said it was their fault.
Most of these were in the first 6 months of commuting and now I've completely changed my commute to take in 90% paths/pavements/cycle lanes.

Associate
This already happens. Cyclists get fined for using motorways. Now... how about let's ban cars from using anything but a motorway? Do you realise how stupid your point sounds now?

Calm down, your point now seems stupid, how would cars get to the motorway? Purely motorway use is not my point, my point is that if there is a cycle path then they should use it.

Is hivis really the magic fix you think it is? Check out how many hivis cars get hit.
JfCLNNY.png
I wonder what other factors could possibly be involved with this, but then from a simple picture one would never know, police chases for example can have people try to get away resulting in similar situations.

Lights. I kinda agree but it shouldn't be a requirement in the day. It is a requirement at night. I often run a front and rear flashing light during the day.

With lights, I agree that they should be on at night, which I think anyone but an idiot would have to agree with. The question I was asking was that if they have a flashing light should there be a solid light to accompany it? Sometimes and I think there has been another thread on here about LED lights and how bright they are has covered the fact that the flashing lights on bikes are distracting to other motorists because of their brightness.

As for the mobile phone point. It's perfectly legal as long as they're still in control. Is it wise? Probably not. What damage are they going to cause if they have an accident due to being on the phone? Likely minimal compared to a motor vehicle crash caused by phone usage.

I consider it downright stupid in any circumstance, I'm sure cycling whilst holding a phone up in front of them, or talking on one pressed against their ear reduces reaction times. Could still cause damage, I'm sure a motorist could cause significant damage because they were trying to avoid a cyclist who was using a phone.

No there is no requirement to ride on a cycle path, in fact if you ride over 18mph then you are advised to ride on the road instead of a shared dual use path for the safety of pedestrians.

No, helmets are not mandatory but most people I know wear one. Lots of cyclists do wear black clothing when on a bicycle which I think is stupid, being seen is a priority when I’m on the road so I wear bright coloured clothes and have flashing lights on in daylight. Even then I still have cars pull out in from of me, close pass me, left hook me etc. and I only ride at the weekends early in the morning when hardly anyone is awake as it’s safer, for example I was out at 6am this morning for a few hours.

The flashing light thing only applies to riding at night, so you should have a permanently on light, not only a flashing light at night. Many bicycle lights do both at the same time these days. I never ride at night as it’s just too dangerous.

Around where I live there are cycle paths that are not for pedestrians, however cyclists still choose to use the road.

As for wearing a helmet, that makes sense, perhaps not a requirement and likewise most people I see wear one. That wasn't the point though, I was asking a question that should they legally, as it seems like a basic safety thing, through them falling off and hitting their head or an idiotic motorist that hits them, completely ignoring blame here as from this thread it has been established that motorists and cyclists both make mistakes.

Soldato
The sort of flimsy bikes the lycra gang like to ride aren't really meant for our bumpy road surfaces, which is why they get damaged all the time.

Where do you get this stuff? I've ridden hundreds of miles on road bikes over the last 6 years or so, over all sorts of roads....and usually I'm riding on rural roads, where they are worse. And most of those miles have been alongside friends riding similar bikes. Not once have any of us suffered any sort of damage as a result of the road surface, aside from punctures. Look up Paris to Roubaix then come back and tell us how flimsy road bikes are.

But of course they all think they are Bradley Wiggins, so that's what they ride.

You've obviously got an axe to grind about cyclists, hence stupid snide statements like this (and it's usually obvious as soon as you see phrases like "lycra gang"), but please stop making stuff up to suit your argument.

Your car is hardly the best choice for UK roads either, yet I wouldn't say you think you are Chris Harris for choosing to drive one when there's numerous faster, more comfortable and more efficient choices. Because that would be a silly thing to say.

Soldato
Anyway, back on topic.

Regardless of what the OP did or didn't do there is no excuse for deliberately damaging his car.

Absolutely. What's annoying about threads like this though, is they become an axe to grind about "cyclists" in general. The OP had an altercation with a complete ******** road user who happened to be on a bike. Suddenly, the thread is full of people claiming that bikes are unfit for use on UK roads, how cyclists in general are arrogant, selfish and thoughtless, etc.

I don't understand the vitriol against cyclists in general. In all my experience when driving, when compared with all the other vehicles and road users, they are without doubt the least obstructive and disruptive group I witness. Of course there are bad ones, and especially mental ones (as with the OP one) about, but they wouldn't turn into a saint if you took them off the bike and put them in a car. Yet people are seemingly quick to complain about these idiots when they are on a bike, yet not so much if they are in a car.

Soldato
... eventually need a picture, or further elaboration, on the damage to mirror ...
kicking a mirror = vandalism, most folks would need to dismount, but , cycling past and brushing with hand, to cause it to flip, as a sign of annoyance ?
that mechanism can become stiff if not lubed, so, if you exchange mirrors with another car, you end up with broken glass/mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom