• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Uprgades and AMD RX 3080XT.

Associate
Hi all,

So I was awaiting the most recent announcement in hope of a AMD RX 3080. Looks like this is not happening soon, unless I missed something. Basically I was hoping for something in the £200-£300 segment.

I am currently without a graphics card, my rx 470 died after a lot of mining (reference blower), I then sold my 1050ti just before the replacement came out, I just felt it was poor at the price point.

So my fall back plan is Vega 56, I have a budget of £250-£300 I figure a Vega 56 with good cooling solution will be better than a stock 64 blower such as https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...ress-graphics-card-stand-alone-gx-18v-pc.html

By better I mean more quieter possibly more reliable etc!

Associate
Can't beat V56 at that price point.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-193-pc.html

Thing is, unless you're desperate there's a lot happening in the next month or so, there's Navi out next month and NV are refreshing their lineup soon. I'm itching to upgrade but I know I'd regret diving in right now.

If Navi is going to follow the modern pricing trend of $1 = £1 (UK consumers always seem to get the shaft), then the Vega might well be the better deal out of the two.

Associate
Don’t wait on Nvidia refreshes, their prices haven’t gone down on previous generations after new releases for years now.

Soldato
Don’t wait on Nvidia refreshes, their prices haven’t gone down on previous generations after new releases for years now.
2060 and 2070 need a drop as that's what navi is competing with, also super cards to cover the performance at both points too

Associate
OP
Can't beat V56 at that price point.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-193-pc.html

Thing is, unless you're desperate there's a lot happening in the next month or so, there's Navi out next month and NV are refreshing their lineup soon. I'm itching to upgrade but I know I'd regret diving in right now.

This is sort of the reason I was posting to get other views. My view is Navi is out of my budget with the cards that were announced, I was hoping on something slotting into that £200-£300 range.

why not a 2060?

I actually had not thought of this, assumed overpriced the answer is a bit daft, the main thing about my 1050ti I disliked was having to sign into that Geforce app to update the drivers, could never remember password.
Will check performance though as I won't roll out it out for that.

If Navi is going to follow the modern pricing trend of $1 = £1 (UK consumers always seem to get the shaft), then the Vega might well be the better deal out of the two.

I figured after the announcement Navi was out of my budget range, was hoping for a lower card.

Soldato
This is sort of the reason I was posting to get other views. My view is Navi is out of my budget with the cards that were announced, I was hoping on something slotting into that £200-£300 range.

Maybe the 2060 'Super' will be the answer? I'm not buying anything with less than 8GB VRAM, I know that much. New 2060 rumoured to have 8GB, it's basically a 2070 apparently.

Soldato
Its so sad we're at the stage where £300 is still kind of in budget card territory. For £300 you sure as hell should be getting a future proof level of VRAM.

Just like for the money I paid for my 2080, I should have got tonnes of VRAM.

Caporegime
I'd go with that Vega64 blower personally, undervolt it set the fan to 2000rpm max and a touch of overclock and sorted :cool:

Just make sure your case cooling is good :)

Soldato
Its so sad we're at the stage where £300 is still kind of in budget card territory. For £300 you sure as hell should be getting a future proof level of VRAM.

Just like for the money I paid for my 2080, I should have got tonnes of VRAM.

It's staggering that you only get 8GB with that card, the 1080ti's had 11GB!

I can see this being my final upgrade cycle. I'm done after this.

Soldato
I disliked was having to sign into that Geforce app to update the drivers, could never remember password.
You don't have to do use gefart experience to update your drivers. In fact you don't even need to install geforce experience unless you want to record gameplay. I use this page to get drivers as it's the least faff and tells you the changes made in each driver version.

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk

Associate
OP
You don't have to do use gefart experience to update your drivers. In fact you don't even need to install geforce experience unless you want to record gameplay. I use this page to get drivers as it's the least faff and tells you the changes made in each driver version.

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk

Sweet, will do this on the laptop as those drivers are ahem very out of date now.

Back
Top Bottom