Kindle question

Soldato
Got an older Kindle Paperwhite with only 2 GB onboard and have hit my storage limit
Have deleted as much as i can but still only have about 150MB free (prefer to keep my books on device rather than on Amazon due to crap BB here )
latest models have 8 or 32 GB

Also quite like the look of the newer Oasis but i think it is a bit expensive,Am liking the page turn buttons though (like my original E-Book from many years ago)

Opinions of the Oasis if you have any please :)

Commissario
I don't have the Oasis but have the voyager which looks like it's the direct ancestor and it's really nice, a better feel imo than the paperwhite and generally nice to use.

Having seen the Oasis I suspect that'll be what I go for when my current one goes, especially as I'm starting to use audio books a fair bit on my phone (I've found they're great for decorating and tidying up).

Caporegime
Not the Oasis, but I upgraded from gen 1 paperwhite to the new one and am very happy. Lovely screen, very lightweight and plenty of storage. I think it has 8GB. I don’t see how anyone could need more e-reader storage than that.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i have the old paperwhite with only 2 GB? it think
I find it easier to read with than paper books now :D
While i like the look and features of the Oasis i am leaning towards the new paperwhite with 32 GB as you can never have too much storage and the price of the Oasis over the paperwhite is a bit much for just a slightly bigger screen and a few buttons)
Just wish they made a Kindle with SD storage (Its so easy to get books from Amazon with a Kindle if i like a book,click and i have the sequel :))

Commissario
3g may be more energy efficient, or they may be using a SOC that has 3g and the necessary bits for the audible etc but not be available at the same size/cost/energy use for 4g.

I suspect given what it's used for 4g may not have much of a real world advantage over 3g in an ereader.

Soldato
OP
Wish there was a shop nearby so i could pop in and have a feel ooo err:eek::D
Been reading that the paperwhite (new version) is a bit slippery to hold,any views on this?
Just dug my old Be Book out of the cupboard,tried it with a few books but no go all files nowadays are too big and crash it every time :(

Caporegime
Wish there was a shop nearby so i could pop in and have a feel ooo err:eek::D
Been reading that the paperwhite (new version) is a bit slippery to hold,any views on this?
Just dug my old Be Book out of the cupboard,tried it with a few books but no go all files nowadays are too big and crash it every time :(
No. The front is slippy, but the rubberised back gives great grip.

Soldato
OP
Talked myself into the Oasis 32 GB Wifi:D
Been here a few days,its nice to have soooo much storage
Device IS a bit slippery,so got a casebot case for it,much better grip and automatically turns the Oasis on and off with the cover

Commissario
Good to hear that you seem to be happy with it:)

I'm going to try and keep it in mind when my Voyager dies, which hopefully won't be for a couple of years at least (my Sony 505 lasted about 6 years, my voyager is about 3 old).

Soldato
OP
Just to point out that the battery life is poor on the Oasis,as has been talked about online,
I can confirm this to be true
4 days with BT off,Wifi ON about 4 books read,Brightness @ 11 and auto
Not a problem for me as 90% of the time i read at home but something to be aware of if you read away from home.Take a power bank :)

Soldato
OP
Update
Am finding the buttons really useful
Have set bottom button to go forward as it fits my thumb position perfectly
and when you change hands holding the Oasis the buttons reverse automatically too :D

Back
Top Bottom