Cycle RAGE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't understand the vitriol against cyclists in general. In all my experience when driving, when compared with all the other vehicles and road users, they are without doubt the least obstructive and disruptive group I witness. Of course there are bad ones, and especially mental ones (as with the OP one) about, but they wouldn't turn into a saint if you took them off the bike and put them in a car. Yet people are seemingly quick to complain about these idiots when they are on a bike, yet not so much if they are in a car.

That’s what I don’t understand as well, there is an incredible level of cognitive dissonance when it comes to these discussions on cyclists. I can only guess that because they are drivers themselves, they are more likely to turn a blind eye to the stupidity of other car drivers because they are things they see and do themselves. It’s easy to hate on a group they are not part of than a group they are actively part of. Seeing as a lot of cyclists are drivers as well, a stupid cyclist will almost certainly be an stupid driver (and probably drive an Audi ;)) as you intimated.

Man of Honour
That’s what I don’t understand as well, there is an incredible level of cognitive dissonance when it comes to these discussions on cyclists.

It is my experience and belief, that with all the incidents I've witnessed and discussions on OCUK and Facebook, that a lot of anger comes from the fact that cyclists don't pay an imaginary mythical Road Tax.

Soldato
The sort of flimsy bikes the lycra gang like to ride aren't really meant for our bumpy road surfaces, which is why they get damaged all the time. But of course they all think they are Bradley Wiggins, so that's what they ride.

I mean...I'd like to put slicks on my car, but in the UK that's stupid.

What kind of damage and what are these slick tyres you mention? What's flimsy exactly about the carbon fibre? The grade, construction method? I ride the type of bike you mention and have had no such issues in thousands of miles, some of which has been done carrying excess weight the bike wasn't designed for.

Man of Honour
I don't understand the vitriol against cyclists in general. In all my experience when driving, when compared with all the other vehicles and road users, they are without doubt the least obstructive and disruptive group I witness. Of course there are bad ones, and especially mental ones (as with the OP one) about, but they wouldn't turn into a saint if you took them off the bike and put them in a car. Yet people are seemingly quick to complain about these idiots when they are on a bike, yet not so much if they are in a car.

I think there is less room in general on the roads today to accommodate anything that doesn't keep up with the average traffic flow - though stuff like tractors are less squishy, usually more visible and more able to impose their bulk so generally leads to less close encounters and last minute situations - although I do get cases of people dangerously overtaking farm traffic, etc. dangerously but it tends to be a bit less than the people thinking they can swerve around a cycle with the risk being pushed to the cyclist if they can't complete the overtake.

Man of Honour
The sort of flimsy bikes the lycra gang like to ride aren't really meant for our bumpy road surfaces, which is why they get damaged all the time. But of course they all think they are Bradley Wiggins, so that's what they ride.

You don't half come out with some guff Nasher.

The "flimsy" bikes you are talking about are (wait for it) generally called Road Bikes because they are designed for the road. I've ridden road bikes over hundreds, if not thousands of miles and never had more than a puncture. People ride them because they are light, quick and easy to ride.

Your slicks comparison is just weird. The reason you can't put slicks on your car is that they are illegal. The reason they are illegal is that they have no ability to disperse water. None of this has any relevance to people using road bikes.

Soldato
OP
... eventually need a picture, or further elaboration, on the damage to mirror ...
kicking a mirror = vandalism, most folks would need to dismount, but , cycling past and brushing with hand, to cause it to flip, as a sign of annoyance ?
that mechanism can become stiff if not lubed, so, if you exchange mirrors with another car, you end up with broken glass/mechanism.

He booted it off. It's on cam. I can't post the footage though because things are "pending", which probably means nothings going to happen. Still, I've been advised not to. Regardless though, the guy was a tit and I hope I see him again.

Soldato
He booted it off. It's on cam. I can't post the footage though because things are "pending", which probably means nothings going to happen. Still, I've been advised not to. Regardless though, the guy was a tit and I hope I see him again.
Just post it as private link so only those who have the link can access it. Thread is all ifs and buts until we see the footage.

Soldato
[
can't find the original video .. thought VincentHanna posted it - but pictures of people abusing carbon bikes and showing their strength,
stronger/weight ratio than a car ? I think it was originally wiggins's same frame -ok it's top end so is maybe like a F1 Road Bike Party 2 - Martyn Ashton
(I imagine Froomes' bike survived) but I don't think cheaper frames will fall much shorter .. colnagos were/are made in the Lambo factory.
]

Soldato
You don't half come out with some guff Nasher.

The "flimsy" bikes you are talking about are (wait for it) generally called Road Bikes because they are designed for the road. I've ridden road bikes over hundreds, if not thousands of miles and never had more than a puncture. People ride them because they are light, quick and easy to ride.

Your slicks comparison is just weird. The reason you can't put slicks on your car is that they are illegal. The reason they are illegal is that they have no ability to disperse water. None of this has any relevance to people using road bikes.

But many use bikes which are for competition and track use, not road bikes. Like that **** who killed someone because he couldn't stop.

Soldato
and no vid.
Of course he shouldn't publish the video ... read the homophic attack evidence discussion thread
"you didn't think it was going to be that easy Yeah, for a second, I kinda did"

Majority of cyclists i come across are real muppets. They give all cyclists a bad name.
as a cyclist tend to agree - higher percentage of bad cyclists than motorists - lack of training,
maybe lack of complimentary driving experience, to know how they are exposing themselves, due to poor positioning, signalling, visibility.

One guy out of thousands isn't really many is it?
and his bike was illegal, w/o the brake.

Soldato

You know nothing about bikes. A road bike, whether carbon or aluminium is incredibly strong. You can actually use them off-road for most terrain that people think a mountain bike is needed.

https://youtu.be/gvL1agpqwvE

I drive, cycle and ride a motorbike. Cars are the things that slow me down on every journey. To get frustrated by a cyclist is absolutely ridiculous when most car drivers spend so much time in congestion....caused by other cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom