How social is your workplace

Soldato
So in a team meeting of about 13 people one of the managers suggested a bbq at her place - she lives about 5 mins away from work, everyone else about 30-1 hr away. Anyway, i don’t mind going for a pint occasionally after work but this bbq has been suggested for a Sunday.

Just wondered if this was normal in other places?

Soldato
I'm in a pub quiz team with three other people from my dept. and I went away for a dirty weekend with one of the women from the offices, but beyond that I wouldn't know as it's a rather sizeable company with multiple locations across multiple countries.

Man of Honour
I work with about 60 people (maybe a little less now) - used to be fairly social when it was mostly younger people we would go out clubbing 1-2x a month and often do a pub run for birthdays, etc. but now a more mixed crowd and that has quietened down though there is a work BBQ in July but at a local beauty spot not at someone's house.

Soldato
We have (staff-organised non-mandatory) coffee roulette so you can meet people from other departments. We also have Friday Bar in the kitchen with some bottles of wine and beers etc. So lots of people choose to have a drink or two and hang out, sometimes a core group spills into a pub afterwards. Celebrations like product release anniversaries and milestones often involve drinks and pubs. 60-70 people in one site/company and you'll sometimes get 30 on a night out.

It's ace, so long as you don't mind a drink.

Caporegime
Depends on the company, and the people you work with

The first company I worked for when I was 17 I still have friends from there now and we used to go on holidays together lol, most other places since then I haven't really kept in touch with anyone.

Most recent place they sometimes go out for lunch on a Friday, then the odd evening out.

Soldato
Pretty social, we go out for meals/drinks multiple times - took my department to climb Snowdon last June, go away for a weekend for a company awards weekend etc so I would say very social. None of it mandatory.

Soldato
Used to be pretty social, some of my co-workers became some of my best friends, we used to go out together all the time. One is my girlfriend.

I took a promotion to another branch, many people have come and gone, I have kids now and have to drive to work. I don't really do much outside of work now, maybe a meal once or twice a year. I wouldn't class anyone I'm working with currently as my friend though, not to say I don't like them, I do, but it's just a professional relationship.

I guess I sold out lol.

Caporegime
Not at weekends no, meals and drinks after work during the week are commonplace.

I don't want to spend my free time with work colleagues, I see them all day at work so weekends would be a no go. My colleagues are the sort of people who would want to talk about code and 'job', thats not my cup of tea.

We have (staff-organised non-mandatory) coffee roulette so you can meet people from other departments

I detest this sort of thing, non mandatory is fine but I had someone head hunt me a few months back and they promoted a mandatory version as though it was a perk. Needless to say I didn't proceed.

Its absolutely quite possible I'm an anti social **** in the work place, I can live with that.

Soldato
Used to be 3-4 of us who all travelled back into town on public transport (office near LHR) and would stop for a pint or two a couple of times a week before going our separate ways on the Tube.

Apart from team meals near Xmas, that was pretty much it as everyone lived at least 30mins from the office and there wasn’t anywhere decent to eat nearby.

Soldato
When I first started work it was in the middle of Reading, everyone lived fairly locally (in fact I probably lived the furthest away) and we'd have an office night out every month. Complete mixture of ages from new grads to mid-fifties but everyone was happy to go out (some also went out every Friday lunchtime too).

Since then I've moved offices and the new office was a lot less sociable as a group. You had certain cliques of people (normally the grads) but other people lived far enough away that they tended to not want to go out except for the Christmas do. Further on from then I joined a team which was very spread out but several of us try and meet up socially a few times a year.

Now I am at a new company ... they seem to have a couple of office dos a year and various other get together when people from the other offices meet up.

Back
Top Bottom