• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Upgrade iPhone 6 now to XR or wait until announcement for new phones? Can’t imagine they’ll be that much different? Pretty happy with my iPhone 6 but thought it would be good to trade it in now before iOS 13 kills its value. Apple offering £120 now. Opinions?

Soldato
Upgrade iPhone 6 now to XR or wait until announcement for new phones? Can’t imagine they’ll be that much different? Pretty happy with my iPhone 6 but thought it would be good to trade it in now before iOS 13 kills its value. Apple offering £120 now. Opinions?

Just get a phone when you need it :)

The 6 won't devalue that much, and I can't see the new XR being much better. Perhaps it'll bring the telephoto from the XS.

I certainly don't think you'll be disappointed with the XR, and a new version won't take away the things that makes the current gen so good :)

The A12 is so fast now that I can't see the point of phones having a quicker processor. It munches on anything

Soldato
I'd wait if you are happy to pay RRP, the new one will be out in 3 months.

If you want a better price then buy now, XR contracts are being discounted as they are trying to shift them before the next one drops. The XIr will be more expensive that what you can buy an Xr for today even though the RRP is the same.

If you buy now just don't be disappointed when the new one drops with it's slightly better camera and CPU.

Soldato
one thing i've noticed on my xs max and ipad pro 11 to a certain extent is the screen dimming considerably when it gets hot, anyone else? Never had this so much that ive noticed on any of my android phones, quite annoying tbh, I took the phone into the store and they said nothing was wrong with it, that was before I read up a little on the thermal throttling

Associate
Soldato
A few have - Thread here. I won't touch it until it's GM time though.
I was bored so gave it a go. I typically always run the beta software.
If anything it was worth it for the revamped CarPlay interface alone. Being able to switch WiFi and Bluetooth connections from control centre is about damn time

Soldato
So the 2020 iPhone:
5.4", 6.1" and 6.7" screen size
5G in tow on the 5.4" and 6.7" models.
All to have OLED.

www.macrumors.com/2019/06/17/5-4-inch-and-6-7-inch-iphones-2020-kuo/

Presume with the new sizes there will be a change in design.
Don't care much for 5G but wondering whether I can hold out until next year with my 7, was planning to upgrade this September.
The 5.4" model is has peaked my interest.
5g will be the biggest marketing and selling point for phones towards the end of this year and into next year. It is suicide for Apple if the rumours are correct that the 2019 release won’t have 5g. With 5g increasingly available in cities towards the end of this year and all major competitors will have their 5g phones out it will be a challenging environment for Apple to compete. It is possible Apple realise this hence an earlier release time for the 2020 phone.

Soldato
5g will be the biggest marketing and selling point for phones towards the end of this year and into next year. It is suicide for Apple if the rumours are correct that the 2019 release won’t have 5g. With 5g increasingly available in cities towards the end of this year and all major competitors will have their 5g phones out it will be a challenging environment for Apple to compete. It is possible Apple realise this hence an earlier release time for the 2020 phone.

I disagree, 5G will not be a major selling point for 18 months. Remember when 4G came out? People were hit with huge early adopter tax and the phones were more expensive and had terrible battery life on 4g. For the first year it was a £10-£15/month premium over 3.5G, it was not that much faster and coverage was poor. The exactly the same thing happened when 3G came out and 3.5G.

The spec sheet for 5G is impressive but when its placed in to the small antenna, power, thermal, processing, and ram constraints of a phone you suddenly are not going to start rendering memes on Facebook twice as fast.

Your average iPhone user is are not going to notice the difference between fast 4G and 5G and your are not going to see 5G outside major population centres for some time. Early 5G phones will spend most of their lives on 4G.

Soldato
I disagree, 5G will not be a major selling point for 18 months. Remember when 4G came out? People were hit with huge early adopter tax and the phones were more expensive and had terrible battery life on 4g. For the first year it was a £10-£15/month premium over 3.5G, it was not that much faster and coverage was poor. The exactly the same thing happened when 3G came out and 3.5G.

The spec sheet for 5G is impressive but when its placed in to the small antenna, power, thermal, processing, and ram constraints of a phone you suddenly are not going to start rendering memes on Facebook twice as fast.

Your average iPhone user is are not going to notice the difference between fast 4G and 5G and your are not going to see 5G outside major population centres for some time. Early 5G phones will spend most of their lives on 4G.
5g is already out in many places and is extensive in Korea. None of these issues have occurred.

Soldato
I think you missed the point I was making and 3 of the points have no baring on what is happening in South Korea.

1) It will be a premium service in the UK and far more expensive than 4G.

EE, Voda etc. will price gouge you for early 5G, history tells us this is exactly what will happen. They still do it on 4G now (see EE essentials VS EE Max). Coverage will be poor for the first 18 months while they build out the network, again that is a fact.

2) Network speed isn't generally what dictates the overall speed something loads.

You will not see significant real world speed improvements on 5G vs good 4G on a 2019 phone because its still constrained by a low power SOC. There is already enough bandwidth to download a web page in a fraction of a second on 4G, it's the rendering on the phone which takes the time. Sure you'll see big numbers on speed tests but they are not real world.

For example going from 40mbps to 80mbps on FTTC doesn't make a noticeable difference to web browsing speed even though there is twice the bandwidth. It makes a noticeable difference when someone is streaming 4k, 2 people browsing and someone playing games but that isn't a use case you see on a phone.

3) Frist gen 5G phones will have less battery life because they need a discrete 5G modem and antenna modules on top of the existing 4G modem built into the SOC and standard antenna for cellular, wifi and bluetooth. The modems are physically as big as a Snap Dragon 855. So more components, more power usage and less space for batteries (or a bigger phone). Either way I am correct in saying the battery life will be less on a first gen 5G phone, its just history repeating its self over again with 3G and 4G.

Source:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/dont-buy-a-5g-smartphone-at-least-not-for-a-while/

4) Coverage IN THE UK will be poor for at least 18 months while they upgrade thousands of towers and upgrade the back haul. Due to the frequencies 5G uses coverage indoors will be poor. Most phones will still spend most of their time on 4G.

Speed for mobile phones is not 5G's biggest advantage, its capacity on the airwaves. 5G has much wider applications such as a fixed line alternative when you can stick a big antenna on it and a powerful modem/router that can handle gigabit speeds.

Back
Top Bottom