1080p on 4k displays, is it garbage?

Soldato
I've 3 X 24" 1920*1200 displays at the moment so no experience with 4k displays. Looking to get another display for secondary use, not for desktop stuff, and wondering if getting a 4k panel. Might use it for next gen consoles for example. I'll be using lots of devices that either can't output 4k or will have trouble doing it (RPie for example) as well, is it worth getting a 4k display?

Soldato
I've 3 X 24" 1920*1200 displays at the moment so no experience with 4k displays. Looking to get another display for secondary use, not for desktop stuff, and wondering if getting a 4k panel. Might use it for next gen consoles for example. I'll be using lots of devices that either can't output 4k or will have trouble doing it (RPie for example) as well, is it worth getting a 4k display?

Why would you buy a a monitor for a console that isn't out for another 18 MONTHS?? If you can't even use it properly for anything else in the meantime, I see no point.

Man of Honour
Some 4K displays can output 1080p with little to no scaler distortion - though most seem to soften the image slightly. Depending on monitor and setup you might get some induced latency with a non-native input/GPU scaling.

Soldato
OP

no
/thread

1080p looks terrible when you could have 4k

Why would you buy a a monitor for a console that isn't out for another 18 MONTHS?? If you can't even use it properly for anything else in the meantime, I see no point.

Because that's in the future and not too distant one at that. I don't understand your level of dissarray? :confused: Also mentioned that would be a secondary/tertiary use.

I guess from the responses I'll try get a matching 1200 Dell monitor or something 1080. Image quality is higher on my list than resolution

Soldato
Because that's in the future and not too distant one at that. I don't understand your level of dissarray? :confused: Also mentioned that would be a secondary/tertiary use.

I guess from the responses I'll try get a matching 1200 Dell monitor or something 1080. Image quality is higher on my list than resolution

18 months is a long time... we are more likely to have affordable 4K 120Hz by then and that perhaps even includes HDMI 2.1, which would be necessary accompaniment for the 120FPS capable next gen consoles, so it's absolutely daft to be buying one now for that purpose, unless you'll really use it elsewhere.

Image quality in what sense? Resolution is very much tied to image quality in respect to sharpness and clarity, although the quality of the panel will determine colours, viewing angle etc. IPS may be the preference there, depending on your use case.

Soldato
OP
For me 18 months is not a long time, I've had my current monitor setup for nearly 4 years and no interest in updating it. Console windows don't look magically better in higher resolution. Buying a new one is simply because I'm finding it inconvenient to lose a display when I have something else needing plugging in. Having a 4th standalone screen would be handy for other content/ devices.

By image quality I mean, my IPS Dells have a very nice image, realistic colours and even backlight. They are just nice to use. I've seen various panels at work and wonder how people can spend all day looking at them

Soldato
For me 18 months is not a long time, I've had my current monitor setup for nearly 4 years and no interest in updating it. Console windows don't look magically better in higher resolution. Buying a new one is simply because I'm finding it inconvenient to lose a display when I have something else needing plugging in. Having a 4th standalone screen would be handy for other content/ devices.

By image quality I mean, my IPS Dells have a very nice image, realistic colours and even backlight. They are just nice to use. I've seen various panels at work and wonder how people can spend all day looking at them

Your perception of time is meaningless and irrelevant. Unless you need, and will put to good use, a 4K monitor NOW, you would be best served waiting, as better and cheaper options WILL be available before next gen consoles arrive. Otherwise, just get any decent monitor that serves your purpose... and it seems you have identified an ideal candidate with the Dell's you already have experience with. That is unless you can see you will put 4K to good use now.

Soldato

I wonder how many of the earlier respondents have actual experience?

My experience is "It depends." What is the size of the monitor? How far are you sitting from the monitor? Which monitor?

I have a 24" 4K Dell Ultrasharp monitor and 1080p displays just fine at desktop viewing distance.
I have a 27" 4K Samsung TN monitor and 1080p shows pixellation (quad pixels) at desktop viewing distance.
I have a 27" 4K Acer Nitro IPS monitor and 1080p displays just fine at desktop viewing distance.

Caporegime
I wonder how many of the earlier respondents have actual experience?

My experience is "It depends." What is the size of the monitor? How far are you sitting from the monitor? Which monitor?

I have a 24" 4K Dell Ultrasharp monitor and 1080p displays just fine at desktop viewing distance.
I have a 27" 4K Samsung TN monitor and 1080p shows pixellation (quad pixels) at desktop viewing distance.
I have a 27" 4K Acer Nitro IPS monitor and 1080p displays just fine at desktop viewing distance.

Yep, not all pixel arrays are the same, and some don't do so well with scaling.

Back
Top Bottom