OcUK Dadsnet thread

SMN

SMN

Soldato
One thing I have learnt over the last 10 days, do not go on holiday with a 2 year old. Absolute ******* nightmare!
I feel you, i learned that the hard way. I think it was more around 'nap times' that caused my stress and headache, so the 2nd holiday i took my son on at.. 7 months old, i made sure we booked an AirBnB villa so we could just stick him in his cot, baby monitor by the private pool, job done. The first holiday was a european city break and it was a bloody nightmare, we had to sit in the hotel room in the dark for 2 hours on saturday and sunday trying to get him to nap, ugh.

Soldato
Anyone got any recommendations on bottle feeding?

We've a 12 week old - he breastfeeds well and often. We got him on the bottle fairly early on as a trial and it worked a charm. We've then completely ignored it for a month or so... safe in the knowledge that he takes the bottle. Having just gone back to it we've since found out that he is really very displeased with being bottle-fed and we're having to start from scratch again, with mixed results.

He kicks up a right fuss when my wife uses the bottle, but generally settles down somewhat and has an interrupted feed. However, whenever I have a go at feeding him he completely loses his **** and flips out. It's very annoying, as it essentially means my wife has a two hour time limit to go out and get a break, but with a few trips abroad planned later in the summer we've now got to get him fully comfortable on the bottle. My wife expresses as often as she can, so we've got a steady supply. He's a big lad - very comfortably at the top end of the 99th percentile for height, and therefore eats like it's going out of fashion!

Any tips or advice on how to get him to calm down/take a bottle from someone who isn't my wife would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
OP

We've a 12 week old - he breastfeeds well and often. We got him on the bottle fairly early on as a trial and it worked a charm. We've then completely ignored it for a month or so... safe in the knowledge that he takes the bottle. Having just gone back to it we've since found out that he is really very displeased with being bottle-fed and we're having to start from scratch again, with mixed results.

He kicks up a right fuss when my wife uses the bottle, but generally settles down somewhat and has an interrupted feed. However, whenever I have a go at feeding him he completely loses his **** and flips out. It's very annoying, as it essentially means my wife has a two hour time limit to go out and get a break, but with a few trips abroad planned later in the summer we've now got to get him fully comfortable on the bottle. My wife expresses as often as she can, so we've got a steady supply. He's a big lad - very comfortably at the top end of the 99th percentile for height, and therefore eats like it's going out of fashion!

Any tips or advice on how to get him to calm down/take a bottle from someone who isn't my wife would be greatly appreciated.
Can't comment on the bottle bit as we were never able to get Riley to breast feed, but wrt losing their **** and then getting nowhere, one thing that worked for me was essentially "resetting" by picking up and walking around (or even rotating slowly in a circle to keep the view changing). The key here being to distract by changing what they are looking at (distraction) then once chill trying again. May help, may not.

Soldato
Can't comment on the bottle bit as we were never able to get Riley to breast feed, but wrt losing their **** and then getting nowhere, one thing that worked for me was essentially "resetting" by picking up and walking around (or even rotating slowly in a circle to keep the view changing). The key here being to distract by changing what they are looking at (distraction) then once chill trying again. May help, may not.

Thanks - I've been trying a resetting pattern, to shift things around a bit and to bring his mood back to normal. However, the second I then sit in any type of feeding position he knows what's coming, and kicks off again. We've had some luck with my wife starting the bottle feed and then handing him over to me, but the second he clocks on that I'm feeding him he knows he's been cheated and gives me the most suspicious look :p

Associate

Patience & persistance, you'll get there. Then once you've nailed this the next issue will rear its head :D

Our youngest took a while to start taking her bottle.

From memory some bottle ends were more successful than others.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Heh, absolutely useless imo.

If my son got a hold of that it would be ontop of him in bits.

He's 11months old now and can pull the gate off the door frame. And that's not exactly loose...

Yesterday he pulled his jumperoo over... That thing weighs 8KG!...!
That one is supposed to be screwed into the wall.
We also have 2 Babydan gates that use pressure to fix in a door frame and they’ve been faultless in 3 years of daily abuse. And my 20kg 3-year-old plays with it every day.

Associate
So my wife is 24 weeks pregnant tomorrow, yesterday i got a fathers day card from the 'bump' and although we've had all the scans and midwife appt's it really only sunk in when I opened the card. Very weird and overwhelming feeling.

Also started work on the baby's room this week. It's starting to get a little real!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
So my wife is 24 weeks pregnant tomorrow, yesterday i got a fathers day card from the 'bump' and although we've had all the scans and midwife appt's it really only sunk in when I opened the card. Very weird and overwhelming feeling.

Also started work on the baby's room this week. It's starting to get a little real!
Good for you :)

Soldato

Wrap the bottle in your wifes t-shirt or something she has worn. Her scent from the clothing will calm him as he feeds.

Soldato
OP

I don't think it really sunk in, properly I mean, until I saw my little girl for the first time and held her in my arms. Nothing prepares you for that. Amazing feeling. I'm excited for you! I just remember it getting progressively more real and then bam, very real.

Soldato
I don't think it really sunk in, properly I mean, until I saw my little girl for the first time and held her in my arms. Nothing prepares you for that. Amazing feeling. I'm excited for you! I just remember it getting progressively more real and then bam, very real.

The drive home from the hospital was the weirdest bit for me. Everything you learn, leads up to that point, then all of the sudden you own a human, and you're too sht scared to go around a roundabout too quickly, and you have no idea what to do from that point onwards.

Soldato
Patience & persistance, you'll get there. Then once you've nailed this the next issue will rear its head :D

Our youngest took a while to start taking her bottle.

From memory some bottle ends were more successful than others.

He took the bottle fine yesterday morning, went nuts when I tried last night, and then took it again this morning in a husband-wife effort. Think I may take the above advice and wear some of my wife's clothes... might even try wearing them when breast feeding too.

Soldato
He took the bottle fine yesterday morning, went nuts when I tried last night, and then took it again this morning in a husband-wife effort. Think I may take the above advice and wear some of my wife's clothes... might even try wearing them when breast feeding too.

Can see this ending well:D.

daz

daz

Soldato
I feel you, i learned that the hard way. I think it was more around 'nap times' that caused my stress and headache, so the 2nd holiday i took my son on at.. 7 months old, i made sure we booked an AirBnB villa so we could just stick him in his cot, baby monitor by the private pool, job done. The first holiday was a european city break and it was a bloody nightmare, we had to sit in the hotel room in the dark for 2 hours on saturday and sunday trying to get him to nap, ugh.

AirBnB is really good with kids so you don't have to go to bed at the same time as them as well as having washing facilities and so on, but would yours not sleep in their buggy during the day for an hour or so?

Back
Top Bottom