• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA: We’ve Had Sharpening in NVIDIA FreeStyle for Quite Some Time

Caporegime
During AMD’s keynote at E3 2019, the ‘Red Team’ announced more than just the next line of CPUsand GPUs. On the software side, they revealed a few technologies that are meant to improve graphics fidelity and input lag in games that implement them.

• Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) – Restores clarity to in-game images that have been softened by other post-process effects. RIS combines with GPU uspcaling to provide sharp visuals at fluid frame rates on very high-resolution displays and works across DirectX® 9, 12, and Vulkan® titles.
  • FidelityFX – An open-source developer toolkit available in the coming weeks on GPUOpen that makes it easier for developers to create high-quality post-processing effects that make games look beautiful while offering a balance of visual fidelity and performance. FidelityFX features Contrast-Adaptive Sharpening (CAS) that draws out detail in low-contrast areas while minimizing artifacts caused by typical image sharpening routines. Developers plan to integrate CAS into a number of popular games, and Unity Technologies plans to integrate it into its real-time 3D development platform.
  • Radeon™ Anti-Lag – Optimized for eSports, Radeon™ Anti-Lag improves competitiveness by decreasing input-to-display response times by up to 31 percent, delivering an experience similar to higher framerates.

The announcements shared by NVIDIA are still under embargo, but we also had the chance to speak with Justin Walker, Director of Product Management at NVIDIA, specifically about AMD’s newly revealed technologies. On sharpening, he pointed out how NVIDIA Freestyle allowed gamers to tweak that ever since it was introduced in early 2018.

[…] they announced a bunch of technologies, Radeon Sharpening, which is fine. But you know, if you want to go compare that we’ve got, we’ve had sharpening in NVIDIA Freestyle for a very long time. NVIDIA Freestyle has got a whole suite of filters, one of which is sharpening. But there’s also things like HDR toning, and color vibrance, all that stuff. So if you want to play around with sharpening, just keep in mind, you don’t have to wait.

That’s not the only way PC gamers can do it, anyway. ReShade, the popular post-processing injector, also allows sharpening and many other similar tweaks to graphics.

Moving on to the Anti-Lag subject, Walker had this to say:

I think it’s something similar to what we call maximum pre-rendered frames, which is actually something we’ve had in our control panel for some time.

Basically what happens is during the graphics pipeline, the CPU will start processing frames and send them into the pipeline. Now, if you allow it to buffer frames, meaning to see if you just go as fast as you can even if the GPU is not ready, it may send a few frames in the pipeline. You do that to get the max performance, then you can guarantee the GPU is never waiting for the CPU. Because if that happens, you may have to wait a little for the CPU to process before it needs a GPU. So a lot of times, you’ll buffer up a few frames in there, which is great if you’re worried about just straight up performance. However, if you’re sensitive to latency, which if you’re an eSports fan you are, then any mouse movement you make will not affect frames already in that buffer. So if I make a movement, it’ll go into the next frame. But that gets in line behind like a full frame already sitting there in the buffer. And so that can introduce, you know, depending on your frame rate, maybe 20 milliseconds of lag. Now, you can go to our control panel and set it yourself. And I think this is what they are doing, setting the maximum pre-rendered frames to one. And that won’t do any buffering, which may affect your performance a little bit, but it’ll take your latency away.
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-weve-had-sharpening-nvidia-freestyle/

AMD still playing 'catch-up'?

Permabanned
Pre rendered frames 1 on a gsync panel at 240hertz is 11ms total lag chain on Nvidia assuming your monitor and inputs run at 1ms max. So AMD have no toggle or what? I like the sound of the sharpening too but i already use DSR with uncappes framerates.

Something AMD can not do 4k downscaled at 240hz with pre rendered frames 1 for 11ms in total. This is why i do not buy AMD VSR is half an attempt.

Soldato
Not sure why Nvidia feel the need to get all up in this tbh if they can do it good on them.

Not sure why we just can not wait till July 7th to see this tried and tested and then we can have a discussion about it.

bru

bru

Soldato
Thank you Greg for posting that up.
I for one am interested in this tech and what NVIDIA'S response was going to be. Personally I cannot understand why people would not want to know what the other side is doing when it comes to new feature's, seeing as this is an enthusiast's forum and all that.

Soldato
A new feature of AMD that NVidia can already do. If you feel that way, why bother posting? I put this here for those interested and not those who are not!

Because you wrote 'AMD still playing 'catch-up'?' in your first post. It made this seem like a childish attempt at saying Nvidia has a feature last year that AMD have just got. Implying AMD are so behind ..

Seemed like a childish sort of thread. Not really needed? If your trying to say you want to make people aware Nvidia have similar features, it would come across better without the dig at AMD.

That aside.

Nvidia and AMD both have similar feature set for this. Good stuff...

Caporegime
OP
Thank you Greg for posting that up.
I for one am interested in this tech and what NVIDIA'S response was going to be. Personally I cannot understand why people would not want to know what the other side is doing when it comes to new feature's, seeing as this is an enthusiast's forum and all that.

No probs. I always enjoy seeing what is coming out and who can and can't do something but hey, we are happy for it, whilst others are not clearly.

@tommybhoy

If it's good enough for me it's good enough for you.

The quote was from leaked benchmarks... Tommy being his usual self and quoting part of a post. Oh well, funny that he has so much time on his hands to search my posts. I am flattereed :D

Caporegime
OP
Because you wrote 'AMD still playing 'catch-up'?' in your first post. It made this seem like a childish attempt at saying Nvidia has a feature last year that AMD have just got. Implying AMD are so behind ..

Seemed like a childish sort of thread. Not really needed? If your trying to say you want to make people aware Nvidia have similar features, it would come across better without the dig at AMD.

That aside.

Nvidia and AMD both have similar feature set for this. Good stuff...
Not going to change the websites statement to suit you Pal. I took it as it was but I forgot there is a few sensitive types here :D

Man of Honour
I'm wondering whether Radeon™ Anti-Lag is just flip queue length or whether it is a more adaptive/application tuned approach - their old option equivalent to nVidia's max-prerendered frames control was taken out awhile ago IIRC and never worked quite right for some reason. The current nVidia option is pretty bruteforce though it mostly just works.

Soldato
I'm wondering whether Radeon™ Anti-Lag is just flip queue length or whether it is a more adaptive/application tuned approach - their old option equivalent to nVidia's max-prerendered frames control was taken out awhile ago IIRC and never worked quite right for some reason. The current nVidia option is pretty bruteforce though it mostly just works.

Am also interested in this feature and how it works. Although not sure if I reading or understand this correct it seems to be aiming at 60fps and the higher the frame rate the less effect it has on input frame lag.

"It should be noted that Walker wasn’t entirely sure AMD’s Radeon Anti-Lag technology was indeed based on this very concept. We’ll have to wait for Anti-Lag to become available to discover whether this is actually the case."

Soldato
@tommybhoy

If it's good enough for me it's good enough for you.

Dodgy!

Tommy being his usual self and quoting part of a post.

Says the guy that quoted the pro Nv stuff and purposefully left the juicy bit out:

Basically what happens is during the graphics pipeline, the CPU will start processing frames and send them into the pipeline. Now, if you allow it to buffer frames, meaning to see if you just go as fast as you can even if the GPU is not ready, it may send a few frames in the pipeline. You do that to get the max performance, then you can guarantee the GPU is never waiting for the CPU. Because if that happens, you may have to wait a little for the CPU to process before it needs a GPU. So a lot of times, you’ll buffer up a few frames in there, which is great if you’re worried about just straight up performance. However, if you’re sensitive to latency, which if you’re an eSports fan you are, then any mouse movement you make will not affect frames already in that buffer. So if I make a movement, it’ll go into the next frame. But that gets in line behind like a full frame already sitting there in the buffer. And so that can introduce, you know, depending on your frame rate, maybe 20 milliseconds of lag. Now, you can go to our control panel and set it yourself. And I think this is what they are doing, setting the maximum pre-rendered frames to one. And that won’t do any buffering, which may affect your performance a little bit, but it’ll take your latency away.
It should be noted that Walker wasn’t entirely sure AMD’s Radeon Anti-Lag technology was indeed based on this very concept. We’ll have to wait for Anti-Lag to become available to discover whether this is actually the case.

Oh well, funny that he has so much time on his hands to search my posts. I am flattereed :D

You post so much pro Nv/negative AMD it's not very hard taking a whole 5 secs using the forums search:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/search/37766127/?q=wccftech&o=date&c[node]=3&c[user]
=3&c[user][0]=72041'][0]=72041

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom