Soundbar hdmi sockets not working after being above a log burner

Associate
Hi, my soundbar has been above a log burner and now the hdmi sockets are not working. If a samsung engineer looks at the soundbar will they be able to tell the heat damage was caused by something other than the device overheating. Cheers

Soldato
Doesn't sound like it was anything to do with the log burner? Solder melts at around 180c - there would almost certainly be other damage to the unit and walls and other objects around it if the heat from the log burner was enough to damage the sockets?

Permabanned
Engineer: Hmmm, don't suppose you've had this placed above a log burner have you?

You: No mate, why do you ask?

Engineer: It smells of burning logs mate.

You: I don't have a log burner mate.

Engineer: What's under that blanket over there then?

You: Not a log burner (nervous laugh). Fancy a cup of tea mate?

Engineer: Sure mate, 3 sugars please.

Caporegime
Doesn't sound like it was anything to do with the log burner? Solder melts at around 180c - there would almost certainly be other damage to the unit and walls and other objects around it if the heat from the log burner was enough to damage the sockets?

solder may melt at that temperature but the xbox 360 red ring debacle was consoles at room temperature breaking. so other parts will be weaker in the chain.

it may be a coincidence. wouldn't know until an engineer looked at it and even then would the engineer ask if it had been placed above a log burner?

my first question would be why did you think it was a good idea to have it above one in the first place?

Soldato
solder may melt at that temperature but the xbox 360 red ring debacle was consoles at room temperature breaking. so other parts will be weaker in the chain.

You're talking about 100s of tiny ball joints under a GPU in a console, it's not really the same thing as the soldering on a hdmi socket for a number of reasons, not least because hdmi sockets arent heated directly by the package sitting on top of them ...

Back
Top Bottom