Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
I have one of those DeWalt multi-tools. Very nice piece of kit. I've used it like a chisel to cut into wood to remove rotten sections. Grinding grout out between tiles for re-grouting and as a detail sander. Although bit bulky as a sander compared to a small purpose made one. Also shares batteries with my impact driver and combi drill. All good.

Soldato
Very nice multi that DeWalt, I've got one myself and use it all the time. Probably one of my more used tools and very versatile. As already said, best to buy the 3rd party attachments as with most things DeWalt (if possible), as they are cheaper and quality is the same.

Soldato
Saxon blades seem to be pretty decent. Not quite as good as the top makes, but they are a lot cheaper and seem to hold up well.

Make sure not to overheat the blades, as this is one of the main reasons they blunt quickly. If your wood/metal cutting blade is turning blue from the heat, you have just destroyed the hardening of the blade. You need to keep moving the blade from side to side, so that the wood chips can be removed from the cut and don't put too much pressure on the blade.

Soldato
Titan are good for a rough heavy job that don’t need replacement parts.

Typically not great accuracy but sell on power.

Looks at the features (clutch etc) and ~2.7-3.2J hammer for house bricks. 6-8J is more brick demolition and if you have big stone..

Soldato
iArRDDF.jpg.png

Had a play with the DCD796 drill I got a few days ago and i'm really pleased with it so far. The chuck isn't anywhere near as good as the chuck on my old drill and seems to unlock when the brake kicks in from time to time. I might see if theres a way to swap the chucks out. Hopefully its built as well as the drill on the left as that has been dropped out of a bedroom window onto a patio TWICE and survived.

Soldato
Every one of those drills ive used the chuck randomly comes undone. Never worked out why!

And by every one im talking at least 10/15 of them over the last year or so including
My two personal ones.

Soldato
I think it's because the electric brake is so powerful, it goes from 2000rpm to 0 in a second and the shock loosens it. The chuck doesn't seem to be the best quality either, which doesn't help. The chuck on the one on the left is amazing. Made by Rohm and you just lightly tighten it and drill bits never come loose. I had a look a while back to see if you can buy them, but couldn't find anything :(.

@area51 Thanks, I thought there was supposed to be a philips screw, but there isn't one in the new chuck. It's just a round bolt, with a hole in the middle, but no way of un-screwing it from what I can see. I'll have a google tomorrow. Hopefully it can be removed without taking the shell apart and voiding the warranty.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not experienced any loose chuck issues on my 796 or 996. They've been solid in that respect. The only thing I don't like is how slack the batteries are when attached, as they just wobble a little too much. Not a huge issue though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mark A.
Don't forget the screws holding the chuck on are left hand thread - is the chuck on new one held in by a allen screw. - I change two of my chucks on Stanley for DeWalt key chucks - So much better quality - I couldn't grip keyless tight enough to tighten or loosen.
Nice drill that brushless - Neighbour has Stanley like mine but he left his battery in garage over winter and it died - he said it was more economical to buy a new Stanley brushless drill with batteries than a new battery'
Another neighbour has just had a B&D 18v drill (fathers day) and the batteries are almost Identical to my Stanley - just need to cut two tabs off to fit - same as DeWalt as well.

Soldato
Apparently they're just heavily torqued on and use loctite as well... It must be the same with my old drill as I can't see any screw for that either.

It says Rohm Supra on the chuck of my old drill and googling it they cost £80 new :eek:. I might just keep my eye out for a cheap spares or repair and buy it for the chuck.

I've not experienced any loose chuck issues on my 796 or 996. They've been solid in that respect. The only thing I don't like is how slack the batteries are when attached, as they just wobble a little too much. Not a huge issue though.

I think the 796 used to use a decent Rohm chuck, but it looks like they have switched it out with a no name metal chuck now. It could just be because it's new and needs wearing in a bit, or I am used to the very light tightening you need to do on my old self-tightening chuck and not tightening it up enough.

Its not a big issue really and this drill was roughly half the price I paid for the DCD925, so some compromises are to be expected I guess. I mainly got it for working inside cabinets etc as the 925 is a bit big for some smaller jobs, so it'll have a fairly easy life.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm thinking that some of these drill deals made for places like Toolstation are made to their buying budget, so compromises are made on some parts along the way? I could be wrong though. I bought mine from FFX, just the skin. I've not had any loosening or slips so far. I use mine daily for work and it's been well abused.

Soldato
Apparently they're just heavily torqued on and use loctite as well... It must be the same with my old drill as I can't see any screw for that either.

It says Rohm Supra on the chuck of my old drill and googling it they cost £80 new :eek:. I might just keep my eye out for a cheap spares or repair and buy it for the chuck.

I think the 796 used to use a decent Rohm chuck, but it looks like they have switched it out with a no name metal chuck now. It could just be because it's new and needs wearing in a bit, or I am used to the very light tightening you need to do on my old self-tightening chuck and not tightening it up enough.

Its not a big issue really and this drill was roughly half the price I paid for the DCD925, so some compromises are to be expected I guess. I mainly got it for working inside cabinets etc as the 925 is a bit big for some smaller jobs, so it'll have a fairly easy life.

As i said its not going to change with “wearing in” they are just rubbish chucks unfortunately.

Soldato
Mark A

If you have a impact driver put a hex shaft in it and put drill on the other end - fire impact driver up and it should unscrew the chuck - it worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom