Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Man of Honour
Enjoyed the series. Not the best thing I’ve ever seen but very enjoyable.
I liked that they had Trevor from Eastenders as the head of the miners. Kept thinking he would freak out and want to pour gravy over everyone. Instead he just got naked... :eek:
That’s what happens when you send Trevor to a nuclear disaster: Chernobyl fallout.

Soldato
Well I’m up to episode 4 now and I’ve mighty impressed. Beautifully filmed, great cast and a solidly paced plot. Really captures the tension and the loss so well. Everything a good mini series should be. Sky should be so proud of this production, shows some real maturity as a production company.

Caporegime
Well I’m up to episode 4 now and I’ve mighty impressed. Beautifully filmed, great cast and a solidly paced plot. Really captures the tension and the loss so well. Everything a good mini series should be. Sky should be so proud of this production, shows some real maturity as a production company.

Nothing to do with sky it is HBO who did it.

Associate
Binge-watched this over the weekend. Yes, it's a dramatisation, but it's incredibly well-made and just straight-up one of the most engrossing and grimly fascinating things I've ever seen.

All the more chilling because it's dealing with an event that actually happened in my lifetime - I was 16 and in my first year at sixth-form when the reactor blew.

Soldato
Fascinating series, very well made, solid acting. Some incredible stories told within it, especially the work of the divers and miners to prevent what could have been a truly global disaster. You can only admire their courage.

Caporegime
I've always been absolutely mesmerized by Chernobyl. I didn't want to watch this because I feared it would have Hollywoodified the story with little reminder to how bad it really was. When I say mesmerized, I can remember reading books and watching videos on it yonks ago, despite it happening when I was two years old.

Boy did it deliver. What is arguably one of humanity's saddest moments and largest screwups in history has been done justice. They didn't cover the cold war / propaganda aspect and the political motives behind keeping it quiet but in comparison to what it did bring to light, it was pretty much a side story. A few little details threw me off but they were for the greater good and didn't really detract from the whole story, so I can't complain.

I've also learned so much already, naturally I need to verify every little detail due to my fascination with it and my ridiculous obsession with poking holes in everything but it's a 10 for me.

Absolutely spectacular and extremely sad at the same time.

Caporegime
So... I'm keen to see this because it's HBO and their production values are outstanding, but the poor science is bugging me like hell, and I'm worried that it'll ruin the whole thing.

Plenty of knowledgeable people have already picked it to pieces, but Thunderf00t's analysis is arguably the best:

I'm not a particularly scientific person, and even I could spot the laughable errors identified in the first 2 minutes of this video.

Caporegime
You should read the comments on that video, for once they are accurate.

He is misinterpreting what the show is getting at, and in a very condescending and annoying manner

Soldato
Show is accurate to the subject matter at the time, that's the science they believed and was reported back then. So show is correct for period.

The fact some of what was believed back then has since been proven incorrect doesn't mean the show is an incorrect representation of the incident.

Guys just jumping all over it for clicks.

Caporegime
Agreed, he’s really coming off as a bit of a bell end to be honest. As many point out in his comments, what we know now is vastly different to what they knew then, and he’s applying today’s logic and lessons to a disaster which is literally described in the show as “the first time something like this has happened on this planet”.

@Evangelion you’ll be selling yourself short by not watching it, the lessons taught and the accuracies far, far outweigh the inaccuracies.

Back
Top Bottom