Dashcams!

Associate
I just put a Viofo A129 Duo in my car and I'm pretty pleased with it for the cost. It's only 1080p 30fps (front and rear) but the footage seems pretty good to me. I'm wondering if I should hardwire it with the 3 wire kit, but I have two usb ports in my glove box that are ignition live, not sure I'd get much use from the parking mode, I park on the road but the car isn't currently used enough to keep the cam running 24/7. Any thoughts on bothering to hardwire it?

Soldato
I just put a Viofo A129 Duo in my car and I'm pretty pleased with it for the cost. It's only 1080p 30fps (front and rear) but the footage seems pretty good to me. I'm wondering if I should hardwire it with the 3 wire kit, but I have two usb ports in my glove box that are ignition live, not sure I'd get much use from the parking mode, I park on the road but the car isn't currently used enough to keep the cam running 24/7. Any thoughts on bothering to hardwire it?
The choice is yours to make really. I hard wired my Viofo A119Pro. I just used a hard wire kit I picked up from Halfords (Realised afterwards I could have bought the exact same kit from FleaBay for half less than half the price..Doh!)
I just piggy-backed off the back of the fuse supplying the 12V socket. Reason I did it was to make it a neat/subtle installation. Having wires running here and there is not a good look.

Associate
The choice is yours to make really. I hard wired my Viofo A119Pro. I just used a hard wire kit I picked up from Halfords (Realised afterwards I could have bought the exact same kit from FleaBay for half less than half the price..Doh!)
I just piggy-backed off the back of the fuse supplying the 12V socket. Reason I did it was to make it a neat/subtle installation. Having wires running here and there is not a good look.

I'm thinking of placing a DPDT switch inbetween the ignition live and constant 12v, it would let me turn the parking mode on or off then so it either works with the cars ignition or it functions with the parking mode and voltage drop detection.

I'll probably do that, can always turn it on when I park it at empty end of the carpark and record someone inevitably reversing into my car (again). Agreed about having the wires hidden, has to be neat when I'm finished!

Soldato
Thinking of getting a front and rear dashcam. Like the look of the Blackvue 4k dashcam. Is that going a bit overboard?

Would be getting it fitted by them.
I'd go as high res and as best quality that I can afford to be honest. The ability to read reg plates at distance might prove invaluable in the event of an incident.

Associate
Going through the settings for my blackvue and I selected night vision on, why wouldn't you use this? Surely this should just be on by default as there's no reduction in quality in the day by having it on?

Video quality I just put everything on highest, so with two cameras that's only a couple of hours before it starts to record over the top with the standard 16GB card that it came with. I will order a 64GB at least I think.

Soldato
I used 32GB for 1080p60 recording which seems to last just under 24hours before having to start deleting the first recording.

What camera? Can't be recording at a particularly high bitrate if it can record for that long?? My Maisi M20 recording at 1080p30 fills up a 32GB card in 3 hours. Bitrate is at ~15Mbps.

Associate
Halfords have some decent offers on until tomorrow, half price module with nextbase dashcams +10% off, ended up getting me and the gf a 522gw + rear window camera each for just over £260

How`s the built in battery on your 522gw?

I followed the instructions for mine charged it up for 2 hours before hardwiring it in my Golf, my drive to work then back home is 90 minutes in total, its charging but never gets up to full capacity.

This is the second one that I have tried as I thought the previous one was faulty.

Running the same setup as you are with the rear window camera fitted as well.

Cheers all

Soldato
I just purchased two Nextbase 522GW cameras with the rear window camera and hardwiring kit last week. I fitted the kit to my car yesterday which took a couple of hours but was pretty painless.
I charged the camera up fully indoors on friday but turned off the auto power down feature yesterday and came out this morning to a flat camera. Driving to work this morning the camera was powering up and recording then powering off again. Hopefully it will be ok once fully recharged.

Will fit the second camera to my wife's car next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom