Assetto Corsa Competizione

Soldato
The ultimate test for me was "is it gonna convert me into liking GT3s?" and it passed :)
I've only done hotlapping, want to break 1:55 at Nurb before starting the career...
The best way to compare the physics and the FFV is to try the Blancpain Lambo in AC1 on the Nurb vs the same combo in ACC. ACC is just the better experience- visceral sounds, ffb with no deadzone, the gorgeous visuals... Top marks from me so far.

PS VR is a big minus though, this is a single monitor game only.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aside from ruining my 80 odd safety rating over the last few days because of those deadly curbs, I am happy in general. Nothing about the game has taken a backward step to what I thought of it before release, though some glaring problems weren't addressed, despite Kunos being made aware of them during EA.

My only concern is where priorities lie with Kunos, I was a little taken back that that the critical multiplayer crash fix was differed to an announcement in their forum and caveated with 'we don't want to disrupt the E-sports series taking place' and dumped on to the beta branch. Not the best considering it hard locks your system in most cases, and basically imo nothing less than a two fingered salute to the customer to be blunt about it!!

Multiplayer seems to be more accessible now, which was my primary gripe over the last few days, though they've still not fixed the shimmering bubble effect when people join the server (a VR thing?) which excludes jumping on quick join servers. It seldom happens when a race is in progress, and wouldn't be a problem in a locked race.

Trying to talk about the VR thing is like treading on egg shells for me in it's current state, the issues others are having I don't which makes it difficult. I too suffer from the we haven't bothered VR menu and UI interface approach from Kunos, and would be as dismissive as people generally are being were I still trying to run it on my old 4970k 1070 setup, why Competizione sat in my steam pile being ignored with 2hrs on it for months.

All I will say if you've a computer you have invested a few thousand in, then despite Kunos's naivety with the Unreal engine and their lack of experience they've eluded too, there's a good time to be had in VR. Some tracks do have performance problems. Nürburgring around the stadium area is the standout on that but from the last few days, Brans, Barca, Spa, have joined Misano, Ricard, Hun, and Monza in running perfectly well. I have it looking good (ss 2.0) and smooth on frames.

Some great races yesterday though, topped off with a 5 car bumper to bumper battle around Barcelona for 13 consecutive laps.. which is just awesome in VR in the Lexus with cars scaled like tanks in front of you and the roar of the engine in ACC.

Imo... hopefully* things will get better with fixes and patches for the good of everybody.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
im sure with tweaks it will get better and better. its not quite at where the original was yet but how could it be with the differing amount of time in development.

Soldato
They've improved it slightly in the last 2 releases, a little less sharp but fewer jaggies. I ran a full load of AI at Spa, not a single frame drop or glitch.

Now we can chat, the refresh buttons work, and there's more consistency in multiplayer servers showing. They fixed the joining glitch too, the most annoying performance issue for me.

The speed thing, VR negates it a little, track depending, and my fancied rides mirror my rl drive, a car on the deck McLaren, 488, or lambo. I get the line of thinking, cars seem smooth and slow on some of the larger more expansive tracks which was something that turned me off in the early beta, but when it's tight and quick at places like Zolder, even driving a lump like the old Bentley about it feels like your break necking it.

Some great info on the game and the state of it this week in the RD podcast.

Associate
^ no stuttering here in VR, at least when I can maintain 45FPS for ASW 2.0 which works wonders in the Rift. The driving part of this is probably the best I've come across but unfortunately the bugs, in career mode at least, are something else! Hopefully by the time they release the 2019 content update they'll have everything straightened out.

Soldato
^ no stuttering here in VR, at least when I can maintain 45FPS for ASW 2.0 which works wonders in the Rift. The driving part of this is probably the best I've come across but unfortunately the bugs, in career mode at least, are something else! Hopefully by the time they release the 2019 content update they'll have everything straightened out.
VR ?.....I wasnt talking about VR :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just tried this again for the first time in ages and am really liking it!

I need to give it a proper blast with my wheel but while I'm using my Xbox gamepad, is there any way to change the accelerate and brake to the right analogue stick rather than the L2 and R2 buttons??

Soldato
Just tried this again for the first time in ages and am really liking it!

I need to give it a proper blast with my wheel but while I'm using my Xbox gamepad, is there any way to change the accelerate and brake to the right analogue stick rather than the L2 and R2 buttons??

So if you have a wheel, why are you using a gamepad surely a wheel is the much better option ?

Soldato
Finally had a blast with my wheel and by God it's tough to stop yourself drifting!?!?!

I'm fairly competent with the pad (driving an Audi something or other) but I'm finding that I have to be going ridiculously slow coming out of corners otherwise I just slide and spin! (and not once have I ever ended up facing in any direction other than 100% the wrong way!?!?)

My wheel is a Logitech G29 - does anyone have any tips or settings to try and reduce this from happening?

Also, are you supposed to do anything during pit-stops or are they automated? I went into the pits in 7th and came out dead last!?!?

Back
Top Bottom