Europa Universalis IV

Associate
To be fair Poland and Austria being allied was one of my restart scenarios, although it didn't see it happen that often, only maybe once or twice.

The additional manpower and force limit is great, just can't take advantage of it due to my income being so poor at the moment!

Man of Honour
Yes, I haven't got IR but I'm under the same opinion. I will invest one day but not until all the juicy bits have been fleshed out. I am actually really enjoying EUIV at the moment. I've got a stupid amount of hours played and nearly all the DLC. When you look at how much money you need to spend to get to that level, it's quite shocking really. I tend to wait until the DLC are on sale, wihch has helped a lot of course. But you need the patience of a saint.

Soldato
Yes, I haven't got IR but I'm under the same opinion. I will invest one day but not until all the juicy bits have been fleshed out. I am actually really enjoying EUIV at the moment. I've got a stupid amount of hours played and nearly all the DLC. When you look at how much money you need to spend to get to that level, it's quite shocking really. I tend to wait until the DLC are on sale, wihch has helped a lot of course. But you need the patience of a saint.

Yeah I picked them all up in Xmas sale a few years back and just get the new ones when they come out now, somehow missed Mandate of Heaven though which I just realised today.

Soldato
******* hate this game at times.

Playing France, used the Maine event trick to take a territory in Ireland (to get around the British navy) and by mid 1500's I've basically got England finished bar about 7-8 territories. Huge army (110k standing or so) and navy and making around 15g a turn. All good.

Then for a reason I cannot figure, literally nothing has changed I can work out, I'm suddenly losing 25g a turn. My economy tanks, my ruler dies and is replaced by someone 0/0/2 so my progress stalls and the religious event fires because I have 5, yes 5, conversion centres sat on my border torching my religious unity.

I accept that things go bad in this game but the economy stuff is BS. I even downsized my army by 30k but hasn't touched the sides of the money I'm losing.

For all its a fun game I loathe it at times :p

Soldato
******* hate this game at times.

Playing France, used the Maine event trick to take a territory in Ireland (to get around the British navy) and by mid 1500's I've basically got England finished bar about 7-8 territories. Huge army (110k standing or so) and navy and making around 15g a turn. All good.

Then for a reason I cannot figure, literally nothing has changed I can work out, I'm suddenly losing 25g a turn. My economy tanks, my ruler dies and is replaced by someone 0/0/2 so my progress stalls and the religious event fires because I have 5, yes 5, conversion centres sat on my border torching my religious unity.

I accept that things go bad in this game but the economy stuff is BS. I even downsized my army by 30k but hasn't touched the sides of the money I'm losing.

For all its a fun game I loathe it at times :p

Relax. First of all show us the economic screen of income and outgoing. 25g means there are issues on the taxation/trade not the outgoing.
Maybe you pay a lot for reducing corruption or you have more colonies than the cap.

Just show me here the economy page and I can help

Soldato
Anyone going to the Grand Lan Party this November? Tickets are up on the 20th and I am going. Need to spend the next few months improve myself after the next big patch with map and mission changes. :D
Hoping can get a relative quite corner, and not be given a place in Italy where there is going to be slaughtering again this year.

Because last year the game seconds before started there was a cry "**** the Pope" and whole world broke loose. :D

Soldato
Relax. First of all show us the economic screen of income and outgoing. 25g means there are issues on the taxation/trade not the outgoing.
Maybe you pay a lot for reducing corruption or you have more colonies than the cap.

Just show me here the economy page and I can help

Only thing I could work out is that unrest (caused by religious disunity) effects tax income?

Everything else was steady and not changed. In the short term I paid out even more on religious conversion but that made me lose 28g and settled back to 25g. It topped at 42g recently before I turned it off in a huff and the only variable I can think of is the unrest effecting tax income if it does do that.

Soldato
Unrest effects the income per province effected I believe, so yes, that would play a big part.

Yeah I'm pretty certain thats the correlation as the worse my unity gets, the more unrest it causes and in turn the worse my income gets.

Its a death spiral in the game now though as I'm having to take loans to keep solvent, to keep armies, to stop rebellions but I can't keep a big enough army so the rebels keep stealing provinces which pushes up unrest/autonomy and the problem gets worse again.

The only way out is humanism ideas complete (take too long) or religious unity above 90% but that means spending a lot of time and money on conversions exacerbating all of the above :p

I can stay afloat but will drop behind a snowballing Spain which is frustrating.

Lesson learned is in a new game take humanist ideas early for France to avoid this in the first place.

Soldato
Humanism was one of the best idea groups last time I played for this reason.

You can also up autonomy in all newly captured provinces to help reduce rebellions, or even lower it to trigger them faster and get the provinces earning more quicker.

Another thing you can do is balance more vassal feeding early on. This way you won't directly eat the negative effects.

Lastly deleting unnecessary forts is a thing. The aim likes to spam them a bit too much.

Soldato
Only thing I could work out is that unrest (caused by religious disunity) effects tax income?

Everything else was steady and not changed. In the short term I paid out even more on religious conversion but that made me lose 28g and settled back to 25g. It topped at 42g recently before I turned it off in a huff and the only variable I can think of is the unrest effecting tax income if it does do that.

Burn the heretics.

Humanism was one of the best idea groups last time I played for this reason.

You can also up autonomy in all newly captured provinces to help reduce rebellions, or even lower it to trigger them faster and get the provinces earning more quicker.

Another thing you can do is balance more vassal feeding early on. This way you won't directly eat the negative effects.

Lastly deleting unnecessary forts is a thing. The aim likes to spam them a bit too much.

Humanism, pah. As France get Religion and convert the heathens. :D

Soldato
@HungryHippos I've got all the basic economic controls down pretty well. I think it was just the surge of how fast it happened that left me confused. The reformation centres sprang up and I went from 98% religious unity to 54% in about 10 years. It was so brutally fast and, IMO, with reformation centres being OP you can't touch what they convert so it's basically only going to end one way which is frustrating. Even embracing counter reformation and taking all the extra missionary points from ideas I couldn't even start to convert the reformed territories back as I didn't have the religious power.

Without Humanism I guess the only way to ride it out is just to convert when it hits critical mass :(

Soldato
@HungryHippos I've got all the basic economic controls down pretty well. I think it was just the surge of how fast it happened that left me confused. The reformation centres sprang up and I went from 98% religious unity to 54% in about 10 years. It was so brutally fast and, IMO, with reformation centres being OP you can't touch what they convert so it's basically only going to end one way which is frustrating. Even embracing counter reformation and taking all the extra missionary points from ideas I couldn't even start to convert the reformed territories back as I didn't have the religious power.

Without Humanism I guess the only way to ride it out is just to convert when it hits critical mass :(

Ah right you had centres of reformation spawn up. Sometimes it's worth just accepting the conversion.

I quite like going Protestant normally, if you're one of the first ones to do it yourself then you spawn a centre of reformation, you can convert pretty quickly.

If you wanted to stay christian then you should eat more catholic land to keep your unity higher, aka eat some Spain/Portugal up.

Soldato
I wonder how long this union would hold :D
08HP0B1.jpg
And to those who might question how Spain hasn't formed yet, is because Portugal, has Granada as vassal with Muslim faith. That prohibits the Iberian Wedding to fire, and Castile even if it gobbles the whole Aragon cannot form Spain.

Back
Top Bottom