Cycle RAGE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
the next question - if the poilice prove ineffective (they couldn't identify their own driver that side-swiped my bicycle)
is ... OC need to design an maximum impact advertising strategy to identify the guy ?

... assuming neither the 'special set of skills' guy, or Denzel Washinton are available for a crowd sponsored contract

Soldato
I would never ride in a cycle path. They are mostly just an after thought that are stupidly conceived (as many in the twitter link above demonstrate), and very poorly maintained (never swept, covered in glass, holes etc).

Man of Honour
But many use bikes which are for competition and track use, not road bikes. Like that **** who killed someone because he couldn't stop.
Shock as bikes not designed for use on the road shouldn't be used on the road :confused:

Your original point was those "flimsy" road bikes shouldn't be used on the road because delicate, which is rubbish.

Soldato
coincidentally - https://www.transport-network.co.uk/Substandard-infrastructure-making-cyclists-less-safe/15935

Chris Boardman Greater Manchester’s Walking and Cycling Commissioner
Monday 17 June 2019
Dear Secretary of State for Transport,
Across Britain, hundreds of millions of pounds have been spent and continue to be spent on road ‘improvement’ projects which involve only painted cycle lanes as a gesture towards catering for cycling, which evidence now confirms is insufficient to make people feel safer. In fact, recent studies show it can actually make people less safe.
apparently the painted sections even mean drivers see those, as opposed to the cyclist in them, so it's not just a feeling

Man of Honour
coincidentally - https://www.transport-network.co.uk/Substandard-infrastructure-making-cyclists-less-safe/15935

Chris Boardman Greater Manchester’s Walking and Cycling Commissioner

apparently the painted sections even mean drivers see those, as opposed to the cyclist in them, so it's not just a feeling

There is one that annoys me on the my way to work:

hajqrWS.png.jpg

Most drivers park on the right perpendicular to the road rather than parallel to fit more cars in so making an already narrow road narrower as they stick well out into the road and there is barely enough space for anything other than small cars to manoeuvre around the corner if there is traffic both ways (it is worse than the image makes it look) without someone encroaching on the painted cycle lane anyhow and while it would take a little reworking of the junction before and possibly after (which I guess costs money...) plenty of space to provide a dedicated cycle path on the left bypassing the lights even.

Associate
In the 'summer' months I drive to work once a week (7-a-side in the evenings) and weather-permitting cycle the other 4. This is from St Ives (no, not the nice one...) to Cambridge (17ish miles). Most of the route is down a off-road, paved cycle/pedestrian/horses shared cycle path alongside a guided busway, which is fantastic, but to get to my destination at both ends requires using existing roads. I try to use cycle paths or lanes wherever possible but the issues I've encountered this year alone doing so are:

• Cycle lanes littered with glass, sharp stones and other debris which could cause a puncture or worse
  • On-going construction work for a segregated cycle lane, taking ******* months, and having one-way traffic control during construction (with the old cliche of one man working, 3 supervising etc.) which I *do* stop for
  • Moronic 'fellow cyclists' cycling the wrong way up/down these segregated cycle lanes, effectively on the wrong side of the road, even with their young kids in tow, towards me, causing avoiding action to be necessary.
  • Phone zombies shambling along a shared use cycle path and regular path, with a dividing line and 'red' side for the cycle path, randomly wandering into the designated cycle side, and often having (big) headphones on so they cant's hear my bell ringing
  • I can often reach a speed on my bike (hybrid with some tread on my tyres, not a 'road bike') which I (and the highway code) would deem unsafe to be on a cycle path, especially around schools
These are several reasons why at times, using the road is preferable. I try to be courteous, conscientious and law-abiding, and yet still often get dog's abuse from drivers, often 'tradesmen' in vans and Audi drivers I note. I regard a lot of fellow cyclists with contempt for their behaviour, and am not afraid to call them out about it!

Soldato
OP
I remember when Op said he did nothing wrong whatsoever and had never even seen the cyclist before :p

Ha, you guys are a laugh.:D The police have identified and contacted the cyclist. He was a member of the local bike club. Not his first time either. Just have to see where it goes from there.

Associate
Fair enough, I'd never advocate vandalism or taking my rage out physically on another road user.

On the flip side, this morning I was almost wiped out by a fuel truck at a roundabout. I was more than half way across when he decides that he doesn't want to stop coming from my left-hand side. It reminded me how vulnerable you can be on a bike versus a whacking great lorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom