Is this possible ?

Soldato
Just moved into a new flat and have had phone lines sorted etc.

The engineer has put the main socket at one end of the flat, the living room is at the other end. I mentioned to him about the fact it seems far away and signal issues. He mentioned a solution but to me it doesn't seem viable. Here it is : MK8V85M.jpg

Apparently there is a cable to take the RJ11 ?? to Ethernet. Plug that into the the hub that feeds the whole flat. Move the router into the middle of the flat and do the reverse, Ethernet to RJ11 and into the router. Here's a pic if it is of some use.

To me thought this doesn't seem to make sense, surely the phone signal isn't going to get sent through the Ethernet ? or perhaps im a bit of a dullard. Perhaps a wireless extender of some sort ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Associate
Er yes simplest thing ever.
Its only a cable, phone cables only use 2 core.
If you have an rj45 network port in a better location and the other end of that cable is near your phone line then yeah just send the phone line down the network cable to the router on the other end of the cable.
Now i dunno about convertors for this like your chap said, i just cut the bare wires and solder them to move my master socket to a new location but i would guess they are on rainforest cheep as chips.

Associate
what? send the vdsl signal through a hub and all around the flat to all lan sockets? no dont do that, that is the wrong way to do it.

Associate
Er what? as far as i can make out all the op wants to do is take the incoming phone line and pass it through to a network port in a better location via cat 5 or 6 RJ45.
This is a piece of... piddle. its just a bit of wire.

No hub was talked about :confused::confused:

Soldato
What cabling do you already have installed? Is there ethernet throughout the flat? Or is the router where it is in the photo and nothing else?

When I had VDSL installed the master socket was a long way from the location I wanted the router.

I bought some CW1308 (2 pair telephone cable) and installed the cable into the rear of the faceplate (A & B terminals which are filtered) on the Mk4 I think the IDC puncdown terminals were replaced with a toolless conector.

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/MK4VDSLNTE5Cinstructions.pdf

Then you run the cable to a location of your choice. I terminated this cable into an RJ45 faceplate fitted to a single gang box (use the connectors 4 & 5)

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/vdslextensionkitinstructions.pdf

Then you plug the router into this RJ45 port (RJ11 works fine in RJ45 iirc). And you have your router closer to where to want it.

Reason I did it this way was there was not enough room to have the router at the master socket and it was easier to route the telephone extension cable than Cat5/6 etc.

But as said above, if you already have ethernet installed, you can use that to act as an extension, although it might be better to disable wifi on the router and buy an AP if you have ethernet ports in better locations?

Soldato
OP
So forgive my stupidity. There are ethernet ports on the walls through out the flat. The router is where it is in the photo connected to the master phone socket in the flat. This is why i was wandering i can pass the signal down the ethernet through the flat and out at some where more convenient and then re plug it into the router in the adsl port.

Failing that I could just get a pi, hook it into the ethernet and at as a wireless extender ?

Soldato
Should work fine then, you can use RJ11 plugs in RJ45 sockets, but I believe the larger pieces of plastic on the outer edges of the RJ11 can push down the outer copper contacts of the RJ45 socket, potentially leading to damage.

The port on the MK4 faceplate apparently is RJ45 so you could just use an ethernet cable between the master socket and the ethernet port, then on the other side just use either an RJ45 > RJ11 or the RJ11 > RJ11 into the router, taking into account the above warning regarding potential damage.

That should work, it's basically how I had mine setup bar a few differences.

Associate
If you want to move the router to somewhere more convenient then just use the cables you started with.
If you want to extend the wireless lan then thats something else, you could put an AP on the other end of the network cable - the one you were going to use in the lounge for instance - and then connect that back in the cupboard to the router.

Thats getting more technical though that just connecting pieces of wire, if the routers enough then just move it.

Soldato
Presumably the other end of the ethernet sockets throughout the flat are in the cupboard where the bt master socket is?

If so, once you have the Plusnet router where you want it, if there's a twin ethernet wall socket there you can connect one of the LAN ports to the other wall port and that will connect the Plusnet hub back to the cupboard. You could then put a network switch in the cupboard to connect to the rest of the network sockets throughout the flat.

Back
Top Bottom