Should women's sports have separate websites on BBC Sport, Sky News, etc.?

Caporegime
OP
Front page of BBC Sport is plastered with the Women's Football World Cup at the moment :(.

Here's a good one showing a suitable number of empty seats ;) along with three other articles that almost nobody cares about but that we're all forced to pretend we do.

B5EYxBQ.png

Completely agree.

Show me a mainstream website that has so much women's sports coverage that you would even consider separating them. Usually mainstream websites have a separate tab for women's sports. Those that are interested know where to go, and those that aren't don't have to bother. Simple as...
Non sequitur much? ;)

Soldato
ront page of BBC Sport is plastered with the Women's Football World Cup at the moment :(.

Here's a good one showing a suitable number of empty seats ;) along with three other articles that almost nobody cares about but that we're all forced to pretend we do.
When the county cricket scores are one of the top articles, you know it's a slow sports-news day. It's entirely appropriate that the Women's World Cup is getting a few slots.

Associate
That sounds like segregating and hiding female sports.

There should be a tab and tag for female sports and they should have some presence on the front page, though it does not need to be half.
Women are pretty popular to watch in swimming, volleyball, tennis, golf and many other sports.
I personally think they have fewer viewers because women's sports have less coverage and marketing.

Soldato
Front page of BBC Sport is plastered with the Women's Football World Cup at the moment :(.

B5EYxBQ.png
aye, very few people give a flying **** about somerset losing davies (he probably ****** off to play the more fun version of rounders) rain ruining a game of rounders or the warriors edging the raptors in a game of bouncy ball

Associate
I personally think they have fewer viewers because women's sports have less coverage and marketing.

I think they have fewer viewers because people like to watch people at the top of the game. Perhaps it's not pc to say but for many sports men have a physiological advantage and so are faster/stronger and so it simply looks more exciting.

For sport where strength/speed aren't important (snooker for example) I have no problem watching woman compete. But I won't watch woman's football, cricket etc because it's just not at the same level as the mens game and therefore, to me, not as exciting. Your mileage may well differ.

Associate

B5EYxBQ.png

Non sequitur much? ;)

"At the moment" being the key phrase there. :D ;)

Soldato
I have no issue with women's sports being given equal billing on the general sports pages, the interest will only grow with more exposure.

Though I do wish, for example on the BBC site, they would split their pages to Men's Football and Women's Football so when you're scrolling down the Sports home page you can see which the story relates to before you click through.

Soldato

B5EYxBQ.png

That seems completely the wrong PC message - female spectator for the Swedish team (I guess the LGBT rainbow is standard on the shirts),
or is the BBC adopting reverse psychology .. not a swedish male in the viking kit.

Caporegime

B5EYxBQ.png

Non sequitur much? ;)

Agreed. But let’s make it fair. Remove lol football form the main sports page.

Soldato
If you think the BBC have been disproportionate with their reporting of the world cup check out Charlie Hebdos satitical cartoon. - an own goal, one might say

Soldato
Women's sport holds zero appeal for me, it's not even second class to men's sport, more like tenth class.

Each to their own obviously, if you get enjoyment from watching it, all well and good.

Personally, my viewing time is limited so I strive to watch the best in sport so that leaves women's sport out.

Back
Top Bottom