*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
I would high recommend watching Riptoes starting strength videos that focus on the low bar squat (and also his book), he makes a convincing argument.

It is a different movement, so it is not a significant leap of logic. :)

There are three (main) factors in determining whether you front squat, high bar or low bar back squat:

1) what are you training for? A specific sport that benefits from overall strength or particular expressions of power? If you want to be a weightlifter, there is no point in low bar squatting, but there might not be much in it for rudgy (as an example)

2) what is your anatomy like? Short legs? Do whatever. Long legs? Low bar might be "easier;" because less mobility is required, etc.

3) Do you want to look awesome, or like some guy doing ego half reps? If it's the former, do high bar... ;) :D

Having done all three types of squat at varying points, the one thing I have found to guarantee causing knee pain is rubbish (potentially dangerous) form, or poor movement that causes guarding patterns (avoiding primary pain)... But that's my personal experience.

Soldato
Regarding the oil discussion earlier. Is it really necessary to consume extra neat oil, doesnt it get absorbed into the food as im cooking it? I added some to the chicken to roast in and i cooked the chilies in some.
Asks how to increase calories in diet without adding loads of extra volume food in, gets told how, questions why....

Man of Honour
That's probably because the only people who are going to be low bar squatting are those who've read SS/SL or are training for powerlifting so are aware of depth requirements.

'Tis true, unfortunately. :p

Most people learn to squat with a high bar "movement" and are coached to/or perform it badly (your average Joe in the gym), then wonder why learning to perform another movement with proper intent (and therefore form) makes them feel better... :confused:

As previously: the only thing guaranteed to make movement painful (assuming no medical or physiological/musculoskeletal abnormalities) is crap technique...

Soldato
Asks how to increase calories in diet without adding loads of extra volume food in, gets told how, questions why....

So im just supposed to take everything said at face value without understanding the intricacies? Surely if im going to adjust my diet for the better i need to ask questions and i need to question things if im wondering why something works and why it doesnt.

Soldato
So im just supposed to take everything said at face value without understanding the intricacies? Surely if im going to adjust my diet for the better i need to ask questions and i need to question things if im wondering why something works and why it doesnt.
Cooking in oil will add calories, but it is very had to know how much was absorbed due to water loss from the food, boil off and needing to weigh the oil left.
Adding neat oil to a food is easy to know how much you add, and can help with dryness without the need for calculating sauces

Soldato
Questions that you have already been given answers to, multiple times, and as this response confirms, have clearly ignored.

Soldato
You want to break at the knees first to help with the movement. Potentially widen the stance a little as well.

At the moment it looks like you are high bar squatting while trying to follow the movement pattern of a low bar squat.

Man of Honour
A few more weeks of squats, was hoping for some pointers. I think they're getting better but I'm very unsteady on the way down to depth and am not sure how to fix it.

Thanks!

You're using your back.

Drop the weight and learn to lift with your legs. If you imagine you're pulling your knees up a d out, that is one cue... the other is be to imagine you're placing your bum just behind your heels (with your shoulders back and down).

Man of Honour
Finally some beef in the gym, very entertaining. If only they put more energy into their workouts.

You're using your back.

Drop the weight and learn to lift with your legs. If you imagine you're pulling your knees up a d out, that is one cue... the other is be to imagine you're placing your bum just behind your heels (with your shoulders back and down).

Yup and the form drops as the reps go up.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Meh, just ask again if you're not sure or be brutally honest and say you want reaffirming.

I used to ask a lot when I first started and got the same response tbh, still do now, 'cuz delvis.

Keep at it, take on board what everyone is saying and do some further reading to further your understanding :)

Back
Top Bottom