• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Soldato
Asmedia aren't making the X570 chipset.

This might relate to the X590?

edit:

"
ASMedia Technology is going full throttle to finish tape-outs for its PCIe 4.0 solutions by the end of year with the hope of winning AMD's heart over again after the company went with its own chipsets for the first X570 motherboards.

A recent DigiTimes report confirms that ASMedia has received orders from AMD to produce the chipmaker's upcoming B550 and A520 chipsets. However, orders for X570 chipsets are pretty much up in the air. If there are no setbacks on ASMedia's PCIe 4.0 tape-outs, the Taiwanese integrated circuit maker is likely to land the orders for the X570 chipset as well."

Considering X570 is NOT asmedia... I dunno wtf tomshardware are on about. So no... your statement is correct. Can't be accurate.

Associate
Yet now that we finally have progress in the form of more cores per CPU, people are whining and moaning about 12c/24t for $499, that will sit on a motherboard (with socket) that you could have owned for 2 years already, and may last another generation, and then how ever long after before it is retired.

2016 - Mainstream Desktop - 4c
2017 - Mainstream desktop - 8c
2019 - Mainstream desktop - 16c

Bigger gap in the last two, but it proves the point that people are complaining about progress, because they personally have no use for it. I remember when I got my 200MMX, cost a small fortune, but man it was a huge upgrade from my Pentium 120. :)
One difference is that when CPUs were all single core and the performance of the next generation went up by 100% pretty much all software that was bottlenecked would see large gains including Windows. Whereas now, adding more cores becomes an irrelevance in many cases.
As for 16C being mainstream in 2019, that is bogus as a £750 CPU is not mainstream today regardless of the socket.
Even if it was 64C at £750 it's still irrelevant to the majority of mainstream users as they wouldn't consider paying that much and would rarely benefit from the extra cores.
And comparing today's prices to those of 10 or 20+ years ago is irrelevant as people's budgets and expectations are based on recent data.

I still think £750 for a 16C that fits a mainstream socket is a bargain relatively but only because prices have been so high in recent years.
But they have priced it almost the same as their HEDT 16C which has extra features so it's hard to see it as anything but over priced from that perspective.
Overall though I'm not complaining but the pricing has taken the gloss of this launch unless the performance turns out to be at the higher end of expectations.

Soldato
They are only pricing there due to a complete lack of competition at that level of performance. IMO it is still a mainstream part, but irrespective of the semantics of definition and that software has not properly utilised the power available this trend for far more powerful CPU's is awesome for users.

Soldato
Pre-Brexit, it was $1.50/£1.00, so;

3800X $399 ~= £266

+20% VAT = £319

A premium of ~£62.

Thanks brexit...

Haha!!!...this person actually believes that when the £ was worth $1.50, prices reflected it.:rolleyes:

They didn't....and never have. Whenever the exchange rate was favourable, retailers like OcUK just used it as a means to make free extra profit. $ to £ prices were usually around 10% less than the price in dollars. They never,ever came close to matching the 50% difference.

Associate
Haha!!!...this person actually believes that when the £ was worth $1.50, prices reflected it.:rolleyes:

They didn't....and never have. Whenever the exchange rate was favourable, retailers like OcUK just used it as a means to make free extra profit. $ to £ prices were usually around 10% less than the price in dollars. They never,ever came close to matching the 50% difference.

i7 2600k was $317
Plus VAT would be $380
I paid £246

Actual exchange rate was bobbing around 1.55 to 1.6 at that point, which would translate to £245-£238

Soldato
One difference is that when CPUs were all single core and the performance of the next generation went up by 100% pretty much all software that was bottlenecked would see large gains including Windows. Whereas now, adding more cores becomes an irrelevance in many cases.

But again if you bothered to read the discussion we were having, we were taking increases in CPU technology, just because it is now cores not MHz makes little difference. Not sure if anyone who runs a large DC or server cluster would agree, we are talking macro analysis not a few people on a forum who play games or edit the odd video. I'd say some one like Amazon owns more CPU's that every single individual in the entirety of the UK does, and that is one company.

As for 16C being mainstream in 2019, that is bogus as a £750 CPU is not mainstream today regardless of the socket.

Invalid argument, the mainstream platform is 1151 or AM4, and regardless if you, me, or Bob next door will pay for it, it is on the mainstream platform. Are you going to tell me that the Athlon 1000MHz wasn't mainstream too?

And comparing today's prices to those of 10 or 20+ years ago is irrelevant as people's budgets and expectations are based on recent data.

In your opinion. Apparently some people are coming from X58 systems, and Z68, now looking at the price of those boards on release in 2008 (10 years ago) for X58 $250-400 seemed to be the range, and Z68 about $200-300. I won't adjust the prices for inflation just in case I upset you in some way.

------

No point in arguing any further than this, since your view and my view are entirely different on this/these matter(s).

Back
Top Bottom