Do fast cars provide long term satisfaction?

Soldato
I had an A5 SLine as a rental for a week a few months back and the ride was absolutely fine.

Probably don't feel it as much as a driver. But after about 30 miles or so of constantly crashing over every imperfection in the road I had to get out and have a word with myself.

It was a while back though and one of the earlier cars. They were still quite new at the time.

Soldato
Probably don't feel it as much as a driver. But after about 30 miles or so of constantly crashing over every imperfection in the road I had to get out and have a word with myself.

I was a backseat passenger in a 420D GC not long ago and although thankfully never car sick, could see why some people might be. I felt it was never really settled, giving a sort of choppiness to the ride or a strong jolt for any potholes or similar. May have been better in the front, but poor in the rear. It was in M Sport trim with the largest wheels they put on them (19") I do believe.

Sgarrista
Commissario
It depends on you as a person. If it was viable I'm sure most people would love a new car every 3 months.

It shouldn't take you more than that to get bored and want something different. However that isn't really viable unless you like setting fire to money.

There is a business that could be made from this. Say you have 50 cars and timeshare them between 50 people. Where they can't book the same care more than once and they have them for a week at a time. So they have to go through all 50 cars of varying class and power.

You could also have an elite membership where they get an even better selection of 50 cars.

Wouldn't be cheap plus it's likely the demand wouldn't be enough here would need to be in a major city with a lot of rich people with money to burn. London and the footballers scene would be a good one to crack.

I'll sign you up, https://www.autovivendi.com/ https://www.axsupercars.co.uk http://p1international.com etc etc etc

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
A bit of a strange title, I'll try my best to explain my question.

When you first get a faster car, it feels great right? The push in your back, the noise etc, its makes mundane journeys something to look forward to.

I've never had what I would class as a "properly fast" car. My last 2 have been more what I would describe as "pretty quick" Currently I'm driving a Subaru Legacy 3.0R spec b. ~250BHP 1500-1600KGs.

Its a great car, but already, I'm finding myself wishing I had more...

I'm not even sure why. I guess its for those few times you can actually use full throttle at high revs like slip roads etc? I just want a bigger push in the back I guess lol.

I'm not a rich man, and I'm not actually going to change the car as its fantastic and probably about at the limit of what one can afford to run on a small budget, but still, I want to know from those who have gone big how the experience was for them.

Does it eventually after years become the norm, and you get desensitised to that bigger shove in the back? I cant imagine something with savage acceleration feeling mundane, but does it?

With the modest power I have available to me now, I already often feel frustrated by how little I get to use it. I guess that becomes more of an issue?

Thanks

Everyone has an opinion on what is fast. Everyone is both right and wrong. Because there is no right or wrong.

Every car delivers power differently. Some high BHP cars don't feel fast because they're sedate or too refined. Some low low powered cars feel faster than their specs would suggest because they're so nimble and inspire you more with confidence in the bends, more usable power as a takeaway, too.

Depends totally on the driver, it's subjective.

I've had the E46 M3 for nearly 5 years now and it still puts a smile on my face. I've done nearly 70k miles in it so you'd think anyone would be desensitised to the feel of driving it to acceptable limits etc but the noise and how the engine and gearbox feel is something that never gets old and knowing that there won't ever be another combination like it being made makes it all the more enjoyable. It's not a fast car compared to say the numbers an A45 AMG is capable of or a bunch of other extra hot hatches out there. But it doesn't need to be either!

But.... A manual gearbox, 8000rpm with ~360HP is probably enough usable power for my needs right now anyway, and probably for the foreseeable future too :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Come join me in the Mini revolution! :D

I've never known any BMW to handle horrendously through corners. What spec was this? I'm guessing an msport right?

I can confirm it won’t be a mini! My mate has one and I insult it (JCW) on a daily basis, without fail :p

M sport 340i with stock suspension, on the standard Michelin run flats. I’m recalling mainly in damp conditions it was twitchy af,

Soldato
I managed with my 996 turbo (~415hp/1500kgs) for 4 years and i still didn't find it boring. I've had my e92 M3 for a year and i want something quicker lol, i miss turbo power (and strangely the m3 is quieter than my 911). I'm holding out for the new M3, should keep me going for a while with rumours saying its 500hp:eek:. I don;t know how you lot can say you cant use the power much, just find better roads. I always take back roads if i can, much more fun.

Soldato
I'm just about to sell the Z4M, which I've had for 6 years and that straight 6 pull still puts a smile on my face. Having the top down plays its part, but the whole experience is raw and involving. I'm 1 week into M235i ownership. It's equally as powerful but feels more detached, as I'd expect a slightly more relaxed coupe vs an M power sports car. It is also my first automatic box and I've not ventured into using the flappy paddle manual mode yet so I feel less involved. Ultimately, I wouldn't buy a car for myself that has under 200hp per tonne.

Man of Honour
I took the Corrado out for the first time in about three months today (MOT). After the Peugeot 206 diesel it felt like a precision instrument; everything tight and responsive, low down seating position with small hugging seats, sunroof open, VR6 singing. As it's an old car it's relatively light and everything is connected mechanically rather than drive by wire.

I had a big grin on my face the whole drive.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Your not kidding the e46 msport i had was absolutely terrible. Very very stiff suspension and it didnt handle well regardless, prob due to the 1600 kilo kerbweight again.
The E46 was notorious for twitching with mismatching front/back or inefficient tyres.

A good set up on an E46 Sport / M-Sport makes it one of the best handling, most enjoyable cars BMW has made.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I can attest to quality tyres and a refreshed bushes setup on an E46. The stock tyres aren't up to modern day spec but many people wil never know the difference MPSS have that internet hero legacy to them which I don't quite understand. I had Supersports on mine for a year or two before upgrading and the SS would regularly twitch or light up DSC if applying moderate throttle leaving a junction or if the weather was wet or cold. Pilot Sport 4 S tyres however have none of this and just endlessly grip and provide much better feedback on the road.

Refreshing all bushes is paramount to how a car behaves on the road though, probably even above tyres.

Soldato
Soldato

It was a while back though and one of the earlier cars. They were still quite new at the time.

Did you drive B8 or B9? B8 is quite bad, B9 much better for ride - certainly less harsh than a 4 series M sport

Associate
Most folk out there equate a fast car with a sports car, this is not the case. There are plenty of fast cars out there but precious few real sports cars that put you at the centre of the action.

The old e46 M3 yep, cars like the Gt86, Mx5 and the new Alpina are all cars that put driving as the no1 priority.
Modern M cars, and M sport cars just seem to be fast, they have lost something over the years. Audi has a huge problem with this as most of its fast car line is just.... boring.
Hothatches wise its the same, the Fiesta ST is prob the best. Yes there are much faster Hot hatches out there but its not all about how quick it goes down a road... 4wd and massive turbocharged grunt aint the gig.

Suppose its what you want, but i want the act of driving to be a priority hence my current motor.

Man of Honour
Most folk out there equate a fast car with a sports car, this is not the case. There are plenty of fast cars out there but precious few real sports cars that put you at the centre of the action.

The old e46 M3 yep, cars like the Gt86, Mx5 and the new Alpina are all cars that put driving as the no1 priority.
Modern M cars, and M sport cars just seem to be fast, they have lost something over the years. Audi has a huge problem with this as most of its fast car line is just.... boring.
Hothatches wise its the same, the Fiesta ST is prob the best. Yes there are much faster Hot hatches out there but its not all about how quick it goes down a road... 4wd and massive turbocharged grunt aint the gig.

Suppose its what you want, but i want the act of driving to be a priority hence my current motor.

Lot of those older fun cars are rear-wheel drive - front is OK but sometimes there is a satisfaction from that rear wheel push you don't get with a lot of modern front wheel drive - though front wheel is probably a bit smoother for day to day driving.

Soldato

Sports cars are just performance cars. Motorsport vehicles (what sports cars are trying to pretend to be) is simply about eking out the last tenth.

So I'm not sure about your definition. You'd basically rule out any Mclaren for example.

Sounds like you are just defining what a "fun" car means to you.

Back
Top Bottom