A return to form: Say hello to Banana MK2, the Italian Prancing Horse (Ferrari 458 Italia)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So drove up too St. Andrews early Thursday morning, lots of rain but no traffic issues so arrived for midday, to be greeted, fed lunch and then head out in the Portofino for a drive on Scottish roads in the wet. For a RWD front-engine setup traction is remarkable, they were all fitted with Michelin MP4S which of course helps.

Ferrari state the 3.9l turbocharged engine is turbo lag free and has that Ferrari sound, though it is close, the engine is not lag free and though the sound is good, its not a patch on the 458, but albeit a lot better than say a 570S and with a lot less turbo lag. Traction was good, forget 1st gear in the wet, but 2nd gear if you modulate low down was able to put most the power down in 2nd in the wet, 3rd gear was rarely an issue. 4th gear feels so good as you get 100% torque as Ferrari limit torque in the first three gears for traction reasons.

With 600HP and a lot more torque, the car certainly feels quicker than my 458 (turbo torque), but the performance figures are more less identical with the 458 at 10.4s for 0-124mph and the Portofino at 10.8's for the same sprint.

On a dry track, which was the second day, the car had zero issues putting down all 600HP 1st gear upwards and it feels mighty fast out corners, again due to turbo torque, though you seem to be in gears quite a while, longer geared and does not rev as fast as 458.

To try and sum it up, the Portofino is a damn fine car, its a lot more GT car than the 458, but at the same time it has lost that Ferrari feeling in the process, if it was not for the badge on the steering wheel, you could be driving a Mercedes AMG or BMW M car, it is a very sorted, great car and the way Ferrari can setup a chassis is simply incredible the fact the car puts all 600HP down so well in the dry on the road, as I got to drive too and from the track also in the Portofino so was able to test it on road in dry.

Steering is not as good, lighter, not much sense of feel, but very direct, but that is hydraulic rack versus an electric rack for you, 458 is hydraulic and as such its steering feels better weighted, more feel, more connection and sharper in comparison.
Driving the Portofino to me felt like driving my F-Type SVR, it felt big, heavier and not as direct or connected but savage quick and rather effortless to drive, it hides speed and you want to push it.

In short, awesome GT car, even better convertible sports car, but not special, its lost the noise / sound, its lost that Ferrari feeling as the 458 if you jack the systems to max and you drive it beyond 5/10th's you feel like your driving a race car, something truly special that is also so capable on the road and can be relaxed to cruise to an acceptable standard, even more so if you specify a 458 with comfort seats, etc.
The 458 bucket seats don't have much padding and after 2-3hrs there is a little lower back pain requiring a get out, which is normally the case anyway as it will always want more fuel.

To me the 458 feels truly special!
The Portofino though fantastic just did not feel so special, my girlfriend absolutely loved it, then we got back in the 458 and was like I thought the Portofino sounded awesome with roof down, but your 458 puts it to shame, just imagine a Spyder version.

Anyway a picture of some of the Portofino's:

porto.jpg

The event as a whole was awesome, the service from Ferreri and their staff nothing short of excellent, incredible hotel room at Fairmont St. Andrews, fantastic breakfast, lunch and dinner along with all the booze you want to drink, all in all superb and even better FREE. :)

So after taking a coastal walk in St. Andrews on Friday, we got in the 458 and headed towards Loch Ness via the old military road and some other roads which were nothing short of insane with practically no traffic. We stayed in a cabin for Friday night, which the Mrs. absolutely loved and grabbed some fish and chips from local chip shop along with some treats and wine from local super market.

cabin.jpg

We then left Loch Ness and drove to Mallaig and then back down to Ayr where we stayed in a hotel near the beach, taking as many coastal routes and fun roads as possible, Then Sunday we made the journey home, again take the more fun routes until eventually having to join the M6, again the return trip was effortless. :)

Here are some more pictures:

andrews.jpg

backend.jpg

beach.jpg

beach1.jpg

hillsmall.jpg

rocks.jpg

sea.jpg

wet.jpg

OcUK Staff
OP
I’m assuming you mean the Nurburgring track? - it’s roughly 240 miles away from Nuremberg which is in Bavaria,The Nurburgring is in Rhineland.

Zero interest in the ring I am afraid, I far prefer making road trips, next one shall be NC500 and track wise I shall probably go visit Donnington at some point, just right now I am enjoying other things in life like the Mrs and travelling, but in honesty the ring has never interested me and never will.

Caporegime
Zero interest in the ring I am afraid, I far prefer making road trips, next one shall be NC500 and track wise I shall probably go visit Donnington at some point, just right now I am enjoying other things in life like the Mrs and travelling, but in honesty the ring has never interested me and never will.
Can understand that mate, plus after viewing countless videos of the ring over the years I’m not sure I’d want to risk such a beautiful car with some of the clowns who go around it!

Sounds like your priorities are spot on. :)

Soldato
I'm going next year. Want to hit Spa too.
I would love to do it one day, but every time I've briefly looked into it it's become very expensive very quickly.
1000 miles of driving + ferry + 2/3 hotel nights + trackdays (if not TF) + insurance =£LOL.

Happy to be proven wrong though if there is a way to do it a bit cheaper! I would certainly join in, most of my 'real life' friends have slowly become less and less petrolhead like over the years :(.

OcUK Staff
OP
Ferrari emailed me another invite this time to go all expenses paid to Maranello Universo Ferrari to check out a new model being released and an exhibition. Also time on Fiorano circuit and hotel and food covered.

The service is amazing but I have to decline as on holiday in Turkey, needless to say rather gutted but as a brand they keep delivering. :)

Soldato
I presume you're receiving these invitations because you've kept within the dealer network? I guess there's not really any other way to do it is there? Shame to miss out on Maranello, but I'm sure there'll be another one.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Well nearly a year on with Ferrari ownership, car has given zero issues, I've done around 7000 faultless miles. It is such an epic car to drive, truly makes me smile.
Its being a busy but enjoyable year with a few holidays, first time in my career I've used all my holiday allowance and then some and very busy with work, as saying goes work hard, play hard, 2020 time for hard work though.

Me and the Mrs celebrated our first year anniversary back in November, though we met last September and were hoping this February is a day like today as that will be when I've had the Ferrari for a year so we can maybe re-visit Caffeine & Machine, the place myself the Mrs and @kindai all went for lunch. :)

The keen eyed will spot the location has changed, we got a place together and moved in this month, still a lot of work in progress but were very happy as were in a private and quiet area, great for us as it means I have a huge area for washing cars which makes life very easy and its a great spot for taking photos, I can foresee a mini OcUK meet at mine for washing cars and photo shoot in Summer. :D

Anyway some pictures:

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c4.jpg

c8.jpg

garage.jpg

I am glad to finally have a garage I can fit the car in (just about), means it stays clean and though I am sure nature would not harm the Ferrari too much I had noticed leaving it outside was allowing a lot of moisture to build in engine bay on wet days due to it being open to the elements so its nice for me to no longer have to worry, plus its hidden away too and secure.

Having the front entry to garage dug up by end of January so there is a nice ramp, as had to fit new garage doors as can be seen so the car could easily fit in even with mirrors out if need be, problem with super cars as mirrors stick out, the car is 87-88" wide and garage opening is only 92", so it is tight but mirrors folded in and its 83-84" wide which makes it easier and am glad the car has said option fitted as most 458's don't have folding mirrors or cruise control believe it or not, so I am glad the original owner fitted options that are useful. :)

Car us due an MOT and service soon so will be getting those done when weather looks promising, as its a 2014 car it falls under Ferrari 7yr service package so service and MOT are free of charge and as its under warranty any jobs are covered. The service in 2021 shall be the last free service, at that point I shall probably make the decision to keep it or sell it on, though servicing cost are not that bad, main dealer price is £1000-£1200 typically which is half of what Lamborghini and Mclaren were asking for comparison.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Lets do it!

Sounds like a plan, maybe we could meet at Ferrari Swindon (MOT), then drive to the Machine, grab lunch, then head home, lets talk closer to the time and monitor the weather situation in February. Also once were more settled in you will have to pop round, we hope to have all the rooms done by February, were off to a good start but still plenty more to do. :)

You will love my lamp made out of car bits. Also nearly grabbed a couple of stools and a coffee table made from an engine, but the Briony though it was dope but disliked an engine in the living room. :D

Sgarrista
Commissario
Sounds like a plan, maybe we could meet at Ferrari Swindon (MOT), then drive to the Machine, grab lunch, then head home, lets talk closer to the time and monitor the weather situation in February. Also once were more settled in you will have to pop round, we hope to have all the rooms done by February, were off to a good start but still plenty more to do. :)

Ive got to pop up soon as ive finished re-doing my office area and pick some more monitors up :D

You will love my lamp made out of car bits. Also nearly grabbed a couple of stools and a coffee table made from an engine, but the Briony though it was dope but disliked an engine in the living room. :D

RGB the insides of the engine so it shines out through the bores and then she'll go for it ;)

Back
Top Bottom