Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
I think I'd perhaps pay that for an official upgraded headband but not for one which still requires some modification to fit!

It's very disappointing that a £500 device has to be modded to make it comfortable. Still, I've got it comfortable enough to use now with extra padding and a battery counterweight.

I'm surprised Oculus didn't put the battery on the back and have them hot-swappable. It'd offset the weight, and also make it easier to install a new battery when it's worn out. (Goodness knows what'll happen to the Quest when the batteries start failing - will Oculus offer a replacement service like Apple do?)

Soldato
I'm feeling pretty annoyed about returning it as the device was exactly what I wanted to see in a VR headset. The graphics were great, the tracking perfect, the controllers comfortable and the whole software/ecosystem/guardian well designed.

Like you say they should really have used a halo band and positioned the battery/chipset at the back to distribute the weight. That's the issue with the device. It's not that the headset is heavy. Far from it. The problem is that whenever wearing it all the weight is pushed to the front of your head!

Good idea about having a replaceable battery as well. Though pretty much nothing comes with a removable battery these days. People want sleeker devices and the manufacturers want your to buy another one when the battery fails!

Hopefully we see an upgraded headband available soon as I'd definitely buy another if the comfort could be reliably improved with something official or at least specifically designed for the Quest.

Associate
Someone asked John Carmack on twitter if Oculus would be releasing a Rift S style Halo Strap for the Quest and he said they wouldn't.

I will hopefully be doing the DAS mod this weekend. Managed to pick a brand new one up off ebay for £85. I know you shouldn't 'need' to do this to fix the comfort, but for me if it does fix it then it's money well spent, especially with the improved built-in audio too. I'd rather do this than return the headset. The VR Cover already made a big difference in comfort for me, so hopefully, this will be the icing on the cake

Soldato
Someone asked John Carmack on twitter if Oculus would be releasing a Rift S style Halo Strap for the Quest and he said they wouldn't.

I will hopefully be doing the DAS mod this weekend. Managed to pick a brand new one up off ebay for £85. I know you shouldn't 'need' to do this to fix the comfort, but for me if it does fix it then it's money well spent, especially with the improved built-in audio too. I'd rather do this than return the headset. The VR Cover already made a big difference in comfort for me, so hopefully, this will be the icing on the cake

It's a shame there's nothing official planned.

I agree that with a few tweaks the headset could be made more comfortable. I'm sure the DAS mod would fix the issues it has. It's just that personally I'd rather wait for something specifically designed for the Quest before buying another.

Soldato
OP
Just been reading that the first batches of VR Covers are defective, glad I held out now.

Sucks for those who already have them :(

We worked closely with Oculus in the last months to develop our VR Cover product. Unfortunately Oculus has made last minute design changes without informing us. Also, the Quest developer kit headset from Oculus missed the nubs.

After shipping our product we started receiving feedback on June 7th about the problem. This came as a tough and bad surprise to us as well. We immediately stopped all shipments and production. We reached out to customers and Oculus to understand and resolve the problem. Oculus has helped to clarify and move forward. Overall the functionality of our product is OK, but it is not as perfect as we want it. It does not meet our own high standard.

What are we doing to fix it?

We adjusted the hard plastic part of our product, including the “nub”. We re-designed as fast as possible. Now the production process is undergoing the necessary changes. It takes several weeks to make new tools, checking samples etc. Production will start again in July. It is hard at this point to give a definite ship date for the new product. Together with our suppliers we target end of July / early August.

Associate
Just been reading that the first batches of VR Covers are defective, glad I held out now.

Only very slightly, so slight that I'm sure some people won't have even noticed. I'm happy with mine until I get the updated version. I couldn't go back to the original face foam after using this.

Soldato
MRTV does the DAS mod.

Seriously considering doing this as can print the parts off myself.

That does actually look pretty straightforward to do and the guy's handily linked all the Amazon parts to do it!

Maybe I just need to buy another and get over the fear of pulling apart a brand new £500 device I've just bought!

Also, if you want to see it can you guys vote on here to encourage Oculus to release an official upgraded Rift S style strap for the Quest!

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums...ide-a-better-head-strap-preferable-a-halo-thi

Last edited:
Soldato
I've only been without my Oculus Quest for around 3 days and I'm actually missing having the device :eek: I did mull over whether to buy a Rift S but I don't really want the hassle of PC VR nor do I want to go back to being tethered to the computer in my small study whilst in VR.

When the 64Gb Quest is back in stock I'm buying another and doing the FrankenQuest Vive DAS mod :p The only issue is that the Oculus website seems to indicate that might not be until mid July unfortunately!

Another video here showing how easy it is....

Last edited:
Associate

They're still shipping out the VR Covers as far as I'm aware (at least that's what their support is saying), the delay is on the Foam and Interface Set until end of July/more than likely August.
Dunno whether that means the actual covers have an issue, but not considered a flaw. Just a cover so cant see what the issue would be.

Granted, it's the interface set that people want in the main.

Associate
Did anyone see the Quest featured on the Gadget Show a couple of days ago on Channel 5? Otis tried it out and tested nDreams new Phantom: Covert Ops kayaking stealth game. It's great the Quest is getting more exposure! Most retailers are out of stock so it's either selling like hotcakes or there's minimal stock being send to retailers, hopefully it's the first one.

Update on my 3rd party case if anyone's interested: The one I picked originally, the Tectake 402412 was too big, so I settled on the Tectake 402871 for £38 which is the perfect size for being able to fit with the DAS mod and all the accessories I need. I think it's a similar size to the Apache 3800 that everyone in the US seems to be buying. Time to pick and pluck as neatly as I can in the most efficient configuration I can find...this may take a while :p

Associate
CrisisVRigarde is free to sideload http://crisisvrigade.com/ as Oculus said no.
Can be installed directly through SideQuest now too :D
9cb85f82b2ddf4feb63f1633b09f08bc.png

Associate
Richie's Plank Experience, Penn & Teller VR: F U, U, U, & U, Sairento VR : Untethered and Anne Frank House VR all released today if anyone's needing more content.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried the latest version of Virtual Desktop with my Quest last night, and side-loaded the VR support. It seems significantly improved with the new higher bandwidth options and reduced latency - though of course not perfect. Project Cars now looks sharp enough to be playable, and Elite looks great. The Quest display is so much clearer than the Rift's that I may well be using this properly to play those games. I doubt I'll be playing touch controller based games, though I will give Skyrim a try because that looked very blurry last time.

Back
Top Bottom