Gel number plates

Caporegime
I saw one the other day, didn't really have a strong opinion either way. Why do number plates create such strong reactions in people?

I think it's because they, by law, are something that's supposed to be quite standard and regimented. When people step away from that it's generally an indication that they think the same rules don't apply to them, that they're more important than someone else or they become an ostentatious display of wealth. Look at me, I can afford to spend money on something totally frivolous.
Now don't get me wrong, a good personalised plate is a good personalised plate, quite a few make me chuckle or it's obvious they belong to Steve or Mary. It's when you get something totally crap that requires random spacing insertions, screw caps and whatnot to work that you just think 'what a penis'.

Prime example...When I'm on my pc to follow

Soldato
Thought raised lettering on number plates like that is illegal ?
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates
Rules for number plates
The number plates on your vehicle must:

• be made from a reflective material
  • display black characters on a white background (front plate)
  • display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
  • not have a background pattern
Characters on a number plate can be 3D.

3D is fine according to the Gov.

I personally think the control and strictness of number plates makes it all a bit crap. I get ANPR needs to work but who the heck is fussed about spaces if the camera isn't?
Hate living in such a nit picky society sometimes!

"Oh you've got a space in your number plate - here's a fine!" jackiechanwhat.jpg

Soldato
Say you had been ran over, or seen a crime etc. You would hope any witnesses, would have the best chance of reading the number plate. Having one in a daft font, with spaces arl ower, and anti reflective covers etc, would be tougher to read.

Caporegime
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates

3D is fine according to the Gov.

I personally think the control and strictness of number plates makes it all a bit crap. I get ANPR needs to work but who the heck is fussed about spaces if the camera isn't?
Hate living in such a nit picky society sometimes!

"Oh you've got a space in your number plate - here's a fine!" jackiechanwhat.jpg

But that is 3D in relation to a 3D "effect" font such as this one

front-and-back-3d-number-plates-preston.jpg

So that the plate is in effect still flat with no raised surfaces.

Having lettering and numbers that are raised from the back plate, I believe is illegal, same as pressed metal plates are illegal as they have raised lettering and numbers.

Soldato
But that is 3D in relation to a 3D "effect" font such as this one

front-and-back-3d-number-plates-preston.jpg

So that the plate is in effect still flat with no raised surfaces.

Having lettering and numbers that are raised from the back plate, I believe is illegal, same as pressed metal plates are illegal as they have raised lettering and numbers.
You believe wrong.

3D is fully legal so as long as it follows the standard font. Pressed plates are also legal, so as long as they remain being made from a reflective material which a lot of the older ones weren't.

I like gel plates but maybe I'm just a chav.

Soldato
You believe wrong.

3D is fully legal so as long as it follows the standard font. Pressed plates are also legal, so as long as they remain being made from a reflective material which a lot of the older ones weren't.

I like gel plates but maybe I'm just a chav.

I dont think they are, read the full document. It can be a 3d print but the plate has to be flat. Not that anyone really seems to care. My front plate is 3/4 size and I've never been pulled up on it.

Back
Top Bottom