I Want to be an Arms Dealer

Soldato
OP
some of your sig pics are cool, but some are too "busy" for my tastes, taking the attention away from the weapons.

I understand. I quite like how busy they are as I want to show some historical context and tell little stories for the viewer to interpret but I'm now moving to less cluttered vignettes, partly because I'm running out of period props! I am no photographer at all and have no education in anything to do with this field so I'm still finding my feet and I thank you for the feedback.

Well you can still buy inert/deacs easily enough, just tick a box to confirm you are over 18 and away you go.Check out Henry Kranks in Leeds to see how it's done.
I just bought a rather nice inert Scottish steel pistol. Mechanism all works but no touch hole and the barrel is blocked and slotted underneath (new post 1017 rules, before then just having no touch hole drilled was enough)
Of course, for real antiques you don't even need a license.

I'd love to see a photo or two.

Soldato
nowt wrong w/ your photography skills, I just *personally* think those pics would be good as an "intro" or "atmosphere" piece for each item, but for the sales page you'd need to have the focus just one the weapons; you're possibly going to be dealing w/ some very knowledgeable people who might prefer less distracting images.

Man of Honour
Hello all!

After a health scare I'm now following my passion for bringing historical weaponry to the masses (in an interior design context) and I'd like to set up as a dealer. I already have a website and a bit of a following on Instagram, I can source products quite easily and I have a clear set of goals but, like many people trying to follow their dreams, I have no idea about the nuts and bolts side of things so I'd love a bit of advice from anyone who has set up as a shop.

Do I need to get an accountant or is it easy to get your head around the books and taxes yourself?

Lastly, you chaps are probably slap-bang in the middle of my target audience (dear God) so I'll probably be doing some market research on you in the future.

Do it matey, follow your dreams. The title got me as my wife works for a Saudi bank and is forever visiting arms factories in Europe where she brokers deals. Loads of money to be made in weapons.

Soldato
OP
Do it matey, follow your dreams. The title got me as my wife works for a Saudi bank and is forever visiting arms factories in Europe where she brokers deals. Loads of money to be made in weapons.

Thank you for the words of encouragement!

It's an Indian made replica of a Doune steel pistol, nothing too fancy. Sparks well though ;) The real ones go for several thousand pounds!

I know them - very expensive! That looks like a nice replica.

Can't help too much on the new business stuff, but I for one like the idea and would be interested in seeing products and prices!

Thanks very much! I will keep the thread updated when I get going with things. :)

Man of Honour
Thank you for the words of encouragement!

I know them - very expensive! That looks like a nice replica.

Thanks very much! I will keep the thread updated when I get going with things. :)

Sensible posts always require sensible answers so in answer to your other questions. The accounting side of things for smaller business like yourself generally go along the lines of an accountant for a few hours at year end and either a book keeper or yourself maintaining the day to day bits. Personally I was self employed for a few years and then operated alongside paye for 7 years and filed all my own accounts during that time without ever coming unstuck. When I did make some mistakes the tax office called me up with corrections and guided me through it. Which i thought was very nice of them.

The recommendation is generally to set up a Ltd company, it's in the name it limits liability and protects personal assets. Otherwise as a sole trader some kind of public liability insurance (don't know if that's correct in this context) or other small business insurance is probably sensible.

Back
Top Bottom