Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Yeah it's a different brand. I've been trying a few out recently to try and find what works best. My previous pair were some Asics GT2000 but i decided to try some ON Cloudflyers.

Trying them on in the shop and around the house, they felt great. Just after a few miles they seem to adjust and cause pains. Maybe that is more a case of my feet adjusting. Was just curious to see how long to persevere and assume it's "feet adjusting" before accepting they're not right.

Underboss
i was a long time in the shop, ended up with some more Addidas ones, tried Brooks and Nike and a few others
I had the Addidas Supernova last time, sadly they got superseded to , i think, the ones ive just bought

EDIT//

also came away with a high vis rain jacket by Ron Hill AND 2 pairs of socks

Last edited:
Soldato
Finding it amusing. I seem to be struggling more and still not able to just "run" for 5 miles and feel like i need to slow down and walk a bit. This morning i felt really hot and it was only 14C when i got in the car.

I was hoping to run in Corfu and this is the weather forecast. You can't even run early/late and hope for lower temperatures!

JmJCJwR.png

Associate
I did a few on hols last year. Was out at 5:30am and back before it got too hot. Was so hard though, because everyone else was fast asleep and I was on holiday etc. etc.

Now I have Chester coming up, I have done something to my MCL ligament when trying to dodge round a car which inexplicably stopped dead in the road at 6:30am with no traffic, just at the point where I would run into him!

Soldato
Out for a 15 mile run today just trying new strategy my go to at the moment is replacing water with coconut water.

Apart from dodging mums with kids and a douchebag who stood still on the pavement despite seeing me coming it was a fairly nice run.

Soldato
Ah interesting. I've been shoving some SIS Electrolyte in my water recently as picked a huge tub up cheaply.

I tried a new running app yesterday called "RunGo"

I've been looking at new routes and using Strava Route planner had mapped a few out. Problem is there are lots of country lanes around me with small forks/turns and it'd be easy to get lost without constantly checking the map. Since Strava on IOS doesn't offer turn by turn navigation i found "RunGo"

It seems decent so far. You can create routes using the app along with finding other peoples routes. It also syncs your run between the phone app and Apple watch app. Something which annoys me about Strava.

I had created a few routes but thought i'd create a route i know first as a test before putting my faith in its hands.

It started off great, giving me some regular updates about the route. However went silent for quite a while as i ran around 1.5miles along a road. I knew i was always meant to go straight but would've been nice for it to tell me to go straight over roundabouts etc. I then got to the turn point and it worked out my pace and said "in 30 seconds turn left", i quite liked that rather than assuming people can judge distances. It also told me to turn at the actual junction.

The problem came due to my run taking me through a park, over a footbridge and then on some bridleways and out of the way footpaths. It told me i was off route quite a bit but not too annoyingly. Not helped by the fact i changed my route to add a bit of extra distance.

On the way home it picked me up again and guided me home. However a few times it told me to turn right into a hedge when there was no right turn within 200m either in front or behind. That's a worry!

I got home and it synced with Strava quite nicely.

Pros
Can create routes in app
Turn by Turn Navigation
App gives lots of readings (elevation charts, pace graphs)
Syncs with Strava

Cons
Turn by Turn can be a bit dodgy
Doesn't seem to pick up HR data (big issue for me)
Have to pay to sync to Strava

Overall, i think without HR data it's a wasted app which is a shame as otherwise it works well. Anyone else know of any apps which offer routes and turn by turn navigation? Might be worth using to try out new routes and then reverting back to Strava once you know where you're going.

Last edited:
Soldato
June has been a busy month for running! Not for training but have had lots of races.

I took part in my first track races on Wednesday night, chose to do the 1500m and 3000m, quite happy with the results 5:20 in 1500m and 11:18 in 3000m.

Associate
A lovely morning doing Severn Bridge parkrun, my 42nd different parkrun venue.

Total parkruns now completed 262

Recorded my fastest ever parkrun/5K with a time of 21:44, if anyone enjoys doing parkrun and wants to run a fast course when the conditions are good then Severn Bridge is one to do

Back
Top Bottom