The constant fear of the door basher

Soldato
OP
That was what I meant! Combination of typo and autocorrect fail I think!

As for people parking next to you when in the middle of nowhere... Sometimes I think the logic must go - this guy obviously cares about his car so they aren't going to damage my one so at least one side is safe if I park next to them!

Soldato
If driving a *nice* car makes you so anxious, then happiness might well be found elsewhere. A gap between what you think makes you happy (nice car) and what actually makes you happy (low car anxiety). **** being neurotic about cars and parking.

You didn't say nice car, you said older car. Ergo, anyone with an old car shouldn't take pride in its appearance.

Soldato
Unfortunately poo happens. The best you can do is minimise the risk. I will always walk a little further across a car park and when doing the school run I make sure to park a lot further away and walk more. It doesn't help that parking spaces are using car dimensions from the 1960's.

You should be allowed to shoot folk who let there kids kick open doors onto your car.

Can I add to this people who park something tiny like a Fiat 500 or an already battered 20 year old rust heap in the few extra-width spaces that our local Sainsburys has. If we could get everything we need from Costco I'd shop exclusively there - all the spaces are white van man sized.

Soldato
inflammatory ... but you probably need to reflect on the width of the car you purchase up front ? you can't negotiate gaps on parked streets as easily either

... as commented steel/body panels/paint (2-pack) aren't what they used to be.

Man of Honour
I've given up worrying. The number of times I see someone actively rest their door against another car is crazy. That or people parking so close to my car I have to climb in from the other side. In that case you deserve a good whack tbh.

Soldato
I worry about this too but when I'm driving my Volvo (850) I worry about it in reverse! The doors are uncontrollable and I worry I'm going to bang them into someone so I park away from people where possible. At my house the drive is next to my wall and I've accidentally clattered them into it that many times I've given up caring.

Soldato
In a supermarket I never park next to someone who has reversed parked in but even this didn't stop my car getting s beautiful trolley scrape on my drivers door :(

For me the first is the worst after which I now no longer sort of care but do but to a lesser extent so am not that worried but will probably think about, damn, who am I kidding, the overall supermarket/DIY store parking still bugs me.

I saw a previous thread, here I'm sure which mentioned that spaces are the same size? but cars have got wider. Somebody even commented about the massive parking spaces in the US.

Soldato
Seriously, why the **** do people park next to you when you are in the middle of nowhere? Are they doing this on purpose? Or are they subconsciously thinking being near other people = better/safer? Blows my mind every time. I could park in the middle of a farmers field and I would come back to some pleb next to me. :mad:

/rant

Easier to park when someone is already there :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
That feeling when it's the only spot in a busy car park, you get into the tight space and squeeze out of your car. You look at the car next to yours and then you notice, a child seat, your heart sinks knowing what is to come.

Soldato
That feeling when it's the only spot in a busy car park, you get into the tight space and squeeze out of your car. You look at the car next to yours and then you notice, a child seat, your heart sinks knowing what is to come.

Yep! Also there's certain cars that I won't park next to on principle as I've pre-judged. Namely any kind of people carrier without a sliding door!

Soldato
I'll try parking at the end of a row, luckily driving a smaller car the gaps either side are usually enough for most people who don't care to get out without banging into my car

Soldato
just drive an old motor you don't care about the paintwork on.

it's the one thing annoyed me with the bm- the constant feeling you needed to keep the paintwork intact for future buyers, it's so refreshing not giving a damn any more.

Soldato
Soldato
I used to hunt for 3/4 empty spaces. Now I've realised someone will just use your car as a guide and whack their car next to you, so I search for petrolhead-y or nice cars now and park next to them.

Soldato
In a supermarket I never park next to someone who has reversed parked in but even this didn't stop my car getting s beautiful trolley scrape on my drivers door :(

For me the first is the worst after which I now no longer sort of care but do but to a lesser extent so am not that worried but will probably think about, damn, who am I kidding, the overall supermarket/DIY store parking still bugs me.

I saw a previous thread, here I'm sure which mentioned that spaces are the same size? but cars have got wider. Somebody even commented about the massive parking spaces in the US.

The site I work on was built by the Americans years ago, still has the old parking layout and yea the spaces are huge. Also the angled spaces they use are best as you can park in a way where you can fully open the drivers door.

Soldato
Generally always look to park away from people and where I can park in a space next to some kind of hash markings at the end of a row. Then, i'll put the car a good 2/3 foot onto the hash markings to give me a nice huge gap between the next space. :)

Caporegime
Get a cheap baby car seat, put in the back and use parent/kids spaces. :D

Disclaimer: I do actually have a two year old so i'm allowed.
You cant actually be fined for using parent spaces anyway, but surely you're just asking for trouble if parents with kids genuinely use the ones next to you.

Back
Top Bottom