NAS/server recommendations

Soldato
I've found a cache drive to be completely unnecessary. It's something I'd look at again if I start running anything more intensive than Plex and hit a problem, but my Unraid box performs just fine without one.

Writing large amounts of data direct to the array is slow, this is why a cache drive is most commonly added, that will then impact dockers and VM’s, same when doing a parity check. Not using a cache drive is fine when you just read from the array and don’t run anything significant, but if you work it, then you want a cache drive - besides it lets the array spin down if you’re that way inclined.

Soldato
I can read/write at full Gigabit speeds for extended periods without a cache drive (and don't have to worry about writing more data than the cache can hold).

I did initially have an SSD as a cache drive installed and working but then needed it for something else. I was going to replace it but found that it worked just as well without so didn't bother.

Associate
OP
The only spare part I have at the moment is an i7 920 which isn't much use.

I am considering upgrading my main pc and that could free up an and athelon x4 950 and motherboard.

I am unlikely to ever run a VM and as for Plex, it would only be used on 2 TV's (fire stick) there are PC's everywhere else and they would just read the files.

How many drives does unraid need and what is the redundancy like, the server will be the only place for most of my data other than the local backup.

Soldato
You really need a minimum of two drives one for parity and the other for data.

The size of the parity drive will limit the size of the data drives you can add (although you can replace the parity drive later).

With a single parity drive you can lose a single drive without data loss.

Have looked at the information available on their website?

Soldato
You can't go wrong with Synology and QNAP....

Second this, especially as something like a DS218+/481Play/918+ is dead easy to setup and comes with a lot more features/apps like Plex (one-click install) and various backup apps (Google Drive etc) out of the box without having to resort to Docker/VM - Synology/QNap support Docker and VM if you really need it.
As mentioned, initial cost (around £770 for a DS418Play with 4x4TB drives for, not ideal, SHR/Raid 5) will be higher unless you forgo the redundant drive(s).

Back
Top Bottom