Upgrading Sound for gaming

Associate
So I currently have a set of Logitech 430 which have served me just fine for years.
But having really gotten into games like R6 Siege lately I feel like im starting to feel (hear) them reach their limit.

To that end I'm looking to finally retire the old warhorse. Now I am on a relatively confined budget, my current thinking is to go in 2 halves which my eyes on:-

A 2nd hand/refurbed K701 (so far i've seen around 70ish) & cheap clip on mic (dx or spes) with the possible intention of upgrading to a modmic at a later date.

with

A good value 30/40 quid soundcard (currently the Logitechs have their own USB one which is still probably better than the onboard one right?)

And so as to why i'm bothering you fine, knowledgeable gentlemen....

Do you anticipate I would hear a difference in these types of games?
If I was to invest in the sound card first (as I suspect a good headset would be completely undercut by an onboard sound card correct) would that actually improve the logitechs in your opinion?

Do you perhaps have a better setup you would recommend?

Thanks in advanced,
Ausy

Soldato
How about a proper av amp and 5.1 system? Proper audio gear not pc speakers.

Like £400 avr and £1000 5.1 speaker system

Sorry man, but, seriously? The OP is talking about a confined budget and looking at £70 headphones and £30 sound cards and you are suggesting he looks at spending £1400 for gaming!!

Soldato
So I currently have a set of Logitech 430 which have served me just fine for years.
But having really gotten into games like R6 Siege lately I feel like im starting to feel (hear) them reach their limit.

To that end I'm looking to finally retire the old warhorse. Now I am on a relatively confined budget, my current thinking is to go in 2 halves which my eyes on:-

A 2nd hand/refurbed K701 (so far i've seen around 70ish) & cheap clip on mic (dx or spes) with the possible intention of upgrading to a modmic at a later date.

with

A good value 30/40 quid soundcard (currently the Logitechs have their own USB one which is still probably better than the onboard one right?)

That's not a bad suggestion. You would need a decent sound card to get the best out of the K701's though. Something like sound blaster X AE-5. That soundcard would be good enough for future headphone upgrades too. That might be pushing your budget though.

A cheaper option might be going with the same setup as you have now, The HyperX cloud II headsets are very good and will be an improvement over what you have for around £80.

Associate
OP
That's not a bad suggestion. You would need a decent sound card to get the best out of the K701's though. Something like sound blaster X AE-5. That soundcard would be good enough for future headphone upgrades too. That might be pushing your budget though.

A cheaper option might be going with the same setup as you have now, The HyperX cloud II headsets are very good and will be an improvement over what you have for around £80.

Thanks for the response!
So interesting, I'm considering pushing my budget a bit more for the future proofing on top of the immediate benefits.
Do you think there's maybe a middle ground on the sound card? If I got that first and it would make a difference now on top of the benefit when I upgrade headset in phase 2.
It's a little expensive when added to the rest for my current financial situation (babies aren't cheap haha)

Soldato
Thanks for the response!
So interesting, I'm considering pushing my budget a bit more for the future proofing on top of the immediate benefits.
Do you think there's maybe a middle ground on the sound card? If I got that first and it would make a difference now on top of the benefit when I upgrade headset in phase 2.
It's a little expensive when added to the rest for my current financial situation (babies aren't cheap haha)

There are three options in regards to the sound card, look for second hand one, buy a cheaper one like the Creative Z or buy either the headphones or the sound card now and save up and buy the other later. The Creative Z is still a pretty good sound card, I have one myself.

I have never used the Logitech G430 so I might be wrong, but, I don't think you can use them with a sound card.

Will you ever be listening to music with this setup? Or is it purely for gaming? If so, the Creative Z might be good enough.

Soldato
Sorry man, but, seriously? The OP is talking about a confined budget and looking at £70 headphones and £30 sound cards and you are suggesting he looks at spending £1400 for gaming!!

Doable over stages. Buy avr and stereo speakers for then rest later.
Or buy second hand speakers I could havr bought £3000 speakers for £300, mint condition. My pc audio rig is about £1000 for a 2.1 system

Or what about £150 avr and £100 stereo speakers?

Soldato
Doable over stages. Buy avr and stereo speakers for then rest later.
Or buy second hand speakers I could havr bought £3000 speakers for £300, mint condition. My pc audio rig is about £1000 for a 2.1 system

Or what about £150 avr and £100 stereo speakers?

No, it isn't doable for the OP.

£300 lol, Even the £150 for an AVR would be out of reach. He is on a really tight budget and is having to split purchases worth £120, buying one thing now and the other later. And he can only afford that because he is getting refurbished headphones.

And lastly, he doesn't want speakers, he is looking for headphones, I presume because he has a new baby and he doesn't want to wake the new arrival up.

Did you even read his posts?

Soldato
Last time I brought a sound card, it was a sound blaster 64 gold lmao, always thought onboard sound cards are good enough for gaming these days, I had to buy a DAC to run my headphones but that's all

Soldato
K701/702's are a solid choice. One of the best headphones for FPS gaming.

If you do go for used K701/702 headphones, make sure the extender elastics are in good condition. That is their weak point and if the elastics have lost their elasticity, you'll have a slack headband. You can ghetto fix loose elastics with rubber bands though. Quite a few people have done that after the elasticity is lost.

As already mentioned by melmac, the ideal choice of sound card would be the Creative AE-5. I realise that is way out of budget at this time, so a SoundBlaster Z would a decent cheaper second choice. Both use Creative's SBX Prostudio, which is arguably the best algorithm for creating surround sound with headphones. You might be able to find a used one for cheaper than what a new OEM card costs.

Failing that, a Audigy FX can be had new for about £30. Certainly better than onboard audio and it also has SBX Prostudio.

It is hornetstinger remember...

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help guys, including Hornetstinger who seems to think i'm secretly rich =p.
Took the plunge on a refurb K701 and a SB-Z. Looking forward to them getting here!

Back
Top Bottom