Meanwhile in Hong Kong....

Associate
That said, it was an awesome place to visit and hope to go back at some point in the next year or two.

I've always told people that it's an interesting place to visit for a bit. I also maintain that I would never, ever live there again, such a different experience to passing through as a tourist. Mind, these days I don't even like transiting there going to/from Taiwan.

Hopefully the leadership listen to their people and soften their stance even just a little.

And good luck with this bit :p

Caporegime
The 99 year lease ended. We were evicted.

On the New territories, yes, Hong Kong island and Kowloon were still ours as they were ceded, China would still have gone to war over it, but at least we wouldn't have abandoned almost 4 million people to a despotic nation. It's worse than when we abandoned the Polish to the Soviets.

Major promised them that Britain would protect them afterwards if China were to be aggressive in it's method and we've done **** all to that effect, for 22 years. I wont be surprised come 2047 if China just rolls in the tanks, nobody will stop them.

Soldato
On the New territories, yes, Hong Kong island and Kowloon were still ours as they were ceded, China would still have gone to war over it, but at least we wouldn't have abandoned almost 4 million people to a despotic nation. It's worse than when we abandoned the Polish to the Soviets.

Major promised them that Britain would protect them afterwards if China were to be aggressive in it's method and we've done **** all to that effect, for 22 years. I wont be surprised come 2047 if China just rolls in the tanks, nobody will stop them.

Not surprising, it was the final end of the Empire, the UK giving back the last significant colony. As a country, we're simply not a big enough power to do anything about it apart from some kind of negotiated withdrawal. China would have taken it back by force, and we'd have done nothing about it.

With Brexit, we're not even in the position to use our position in the EU, or take the EU along with us down a road where we can apply diplomatic or economic pressure on China. In the end, the Chinese consider it their land and people to do with as they will, just as it was before the British got hold of it.

Caporegime
Hong-Kong-UK-China.png

Soldato
Really because we're headed there under the Tories as it is, they instigated the surveillance state.

You're only free if you have a lot of money in this country.

You said something I nearly agreed with!!!!! :)

However, probably best to state:

Really because we're headed there under the work by the long term civil service and multiple governments under labour/conservative/liberal democrats as it is, they instigated the surveillance state.

As for being 'free' and 'lots of money', very subjective....

Pretty sure someone homeless on the street is free from debt but has very little money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The BBC been covering China's forced "re-education" camps again, brainwashing the inhabitants that the Chinese government is their new deity. Freedom of religion is dead then. Also apparently the government thinks it can detect murderers in society before they commit a murder and so it detains people up without a trial. I'm too outraged blowing everything Trump does all out of proportion to care about a totalitarian government with 1.4B oppressed citizens though. It's still funny when they talk about how their citizens love the Social Credit System, like we don't know criticising it will probably see their score lowered or them thrown into detention camps for being "murderers in wait".

Yeah I can definitely see why the people of Hong Kong don't want to be extradited to China.

Associate
SMH. Think the protesters might be a little too short sighted on a few things.

From what I understand, they've caused the current people in charge (in HK) to take the whole deal off the table, and there's no sign of changes to be implemented later either, as per "the wishes" of the people (who just want it "gone"), it seems like it's completely off, possibly for good whilst the current lot of people are in. And that's probably the worst thing that could have happened.

Instead of clamouring to have changes that would protect HK people better into the Law on this Extradition deal (keep the deal, but definitely make it better to protect themselves ahead), all they've done is make it another lot of peoples problems later when they step into power. And when that happens, it'll be further into the 50 years of "One Country, Two Systems", so the people who have power have less incentive or even reason (approval by HK people) to give in and give greater powers to protecting HK citizens, especially favourable ones. And by that point, they'll be able to offer two deals, neither any good; One Bad, One REALLY bad. And the HK people won't have a choice at that point but to accept basically the deal they've rejected now (if not a worse off version), or get the heck out of there (which few want to, because of some strange ideals; differing ones depending on generation you're from).

At least with "something" akin to protections being baked into Law, International condemnation of breaking that Law may give a bit more pause for concern from China if they want to continue having the dough rolling in.

Caporegime

From what I understand, they've caused the current people in charge (in HK) to take the whole deal off the table, and there's no sign of changes to be implemented later either, as per "the wishes" of the people (who just want it "gone"), it seems like it's completely off, possibly for good whilst the current lot of people are in. And that's probably the worst thing that could have happened.

Instead of clamouring to have changes that would protect HK people better into the Law on this Extradition deal (keep the deal, but definitely make it better to protect themselves ahead), all they've done is make it another lot of peoples problems later when they step into power. And when that happens, it'll be further into the 50 years of "One Country, Two Systems", so the people who have power have less incentive or even reason (approval by HK people) to give in and give greater powers to protecting HK citizens, especially favourable ones. And by that point, they'll be able to offer two deals, neither any good; One Bad, One REALLY bad. And the HK people won't have a choice at that point but to accept basically the deal they've rejected now (if not a worse off version), or get the heck out of there (which few want to, because of some strange ideals; differing ones depending on generation you're from).

At least with "something" akin to protections being baked into Law, International condemnation of breaking that Law may give a bit more pause for concern from China if they want to continue having the dough rolling in.

Lol stop being mental.

In 2047 the PLA is waltzing in whether the HK'ers want it or not, so this whole argument is seriously worthless, the Hong Kong residents dont want a stop gap, they want independence which makes having a disgusting extradition law and despotic government irrelevant anyway.

China doesnt give a **** about international law, if it takes running over half the residents with tanks, they'll do it.

Caporegime

From what I understand, they've caused the current people in charge (in HK) to take the whole deal off the table, and there's no sign of changes to be implemented later either, as per "the wishes" of the people (who just want it "gone"), it seems like it's completely off, possibly for good whilst the current lot of people are in.

It is absolutely not off the table, it hasn't even been nudged towards a corner. Carrie Lam herself has said the extradition law has been postponed. She hasn't given any commitment to withdraw or abandon it.

Lam will be in power for the next three years, so you can be sure she'll look for some way to ram the legislation into law during that time.

Associate
Lol stop being mental.

In 2047 the PLA is waltzing in whether the HK'ers want it or not, so this whole argument is seriously worthless, the Hong Kong residents dont want a stop gap, they want independence which makes having a disgusting extradition law and despotic government irrelevant anyway.

China doesnt give a **** about international law, if it takes running over half the residents with tanks, they'll do it.

By the same logic, China could Waltz in right now. But they don't because it doesn't suit their purposes. And that purpose is power and money. Something they won't as easily continue to get by doing so (simply rolling in the tanks), otherwise, they didn't need to build up their economy and then threaten HK with their military after 97, they could easily do it previously and without their economic power. You are right about them not giving a care about Internation Law, but that's NOT the issue they are concerned about that I was referring to; China has more to lose on the International scene in terms of face and trade.

Associate
It is absolutely not off the table, it hasn't even been nudged towards a corner. Carrie Lam herself has said the extradition law has been postponed. She hasn't given any commitment to withdraw or abandon it.

*shrugs* Different sources of news outlets reporting different things, so it isn't my issue. I'm only commenting on what was reported.

Lam will be in power for the next three years, so you can be sure she'll look for some way to ram the legislation into law during that time.

Won't disagree with that normally. But with everyone reporting so widly different things, I won't put stock either way.

Caporegime
In Chinese she apparently said temporary slowdown. The Western media got the usual ******** phrase though and ran with it because it has more interesting Trump and Brexit news to run 24/7 than care about people the UK abandoned to despots.

Soldato
I wonder how much this story is being played in the US media. I'm getting the impression (I maybe wrong) that its not being given priority.

I'd have thought if the US thought China was a rival/threat they would have been all over this Hong Kong/China issue.

Caporegime
I wonder how much this story is being played in the US media. I'm getting the impression (I maybe wrong) that its not being given priority.

I'd have thought if the US thought China was a rival/threat they would have been all over this Hong Kong/China issue.

Because Trump hasnt said anything yet, as soon as he does, the floodgates will open.

Regardless, even with that once the Hong Kong government sort of maybe put it in the long grass, the US media took the bait and is back to the usual drivel.

Caporegime
OP
Protestors stormed some parliament building yesterday waving around British and colonial flags, they're clearly not lefties then.

Back
Top Bottom