So, the Championship season has started **Spoilers**

Don
He had one decent season but flopped after that. Didn't look confident and hit it terribly. Thankfully Tammy's got nerves of steel.

Bring on Leeds. I hope.I'm wrong with my prediction that Bamford's gonna haunt us after the shenanigans a few weeks ago.

Anything can happen tonight but if you play like you did last night then I'm more confident should we get there.
You can't play out from the back so not sure why you kept trying it, the amount of passes you gave straight to WBA was criminal, they couldn't capitalise though.

Associate
As an eternally hopeful Derby fan I somehow still feel like we've got a chance tonight despite three pretty comfortable wins for Leeds against us already this season. We weren't really at it in the first leg, so hopeful we can at least make a decent tie of it tonight.

That said, if Leeds get the first goal I think it's curtains.

Soldato
Farewell @el_dazza, you will come crawling back to this thread no doubt :p

Haha - Smith sacked by Christmas with Villa in 17th, only to finish bottom after Ranieri hired to save them from relegation ;)

Reckon Bielsa will be given funds? Shop that Bamford out, he cost about 75% of our starting eleven for our last game!

We've made our first first term signing of the season - the type of player the fans have been pleading for for years, a tall combative defensive midfielder who can get stuck in but is also a bit of a baller. We'll see if this turns out to be true, but he's cost just under £3m from Fiorentina, and our head coach has managed him before.

if we sell Maupay this window for the £20m-£25m that we're holding out for, that will have meant that him, Hogan and Gray cost us £3.2m in total, yet netted ~£45m in fees :eek:

Don
Strange move if PJ joins us from Leeds eh @Andybtsn? If he does, it'll take our spending to £13m this summer!

Strange transfer really. I knew he was going but expected PL side, I hope we have something good up our sleeve otherwise it’s a disappointing sale. Take Cooper instead!

Also, comments from YEP:

Just a few thoughts on Jansson - he’s come to be seen as a disruptive presence at Leeds and it’s reached the stage where the club and Bielsa felt it was in their best interests to cut ties with him.

Brentford was hardly the obvious move (everyone assumed there would be PL interest) but the fact that both Leeds and Jansson have gone for it tells you a quick resolution suited them both and a reprieve was out of the question.

If Bielsa wanted Jansson, this deal wouldn’t have happened. The club needed money in this window for FFP compliance but Clarke’s move to Spurs eased that pressure significantly. This seems to be more about personality/attitude than cash.

Last edited:
Soldato
Strange transfer really. I knew he was going but expected PL side, I hope we have something good up our sleeve otherwise it’s a disappointing sale. Take Cooper instead!

Also, comments from YEP:

Just a few thoughts on Jansson - he’s come to be seen as a disruptive presence at Leeds and it’s reached the stage where the club and Bielsa felt it was in their best interests to cut ties with him.

Brentford was hardly the obvious move (everyone assumed there would be PL interest) but the fact that both Leeds and Jansson have gone for it tells you a quick resolution suited them both and a reprieve was out of the question.

If Bielsa wanted Jansson, this deal wouldn’t have happened. The club needed money in this window for FFP compliance but Clarke’s move to Spurs eased that pressure significantly. This seems to be more about personality/attitude than cash.

It's a firm 'pass' on Cooper, thanks :D

Yeah I saw that in the YEP this morning. This is probably the most un-Brentford transfer we've made, very surprising indeed.

Our defence has been our weakness for years, so with a new GK and 2 CBs we could be in the mix this season.

But probably not... :p

Soldato
Pontus Jansson over the line - and we managed to pay less for him than we received for Yennaris in January!

Looking at Jensen from Celta Vigo now - former Danish U21 captain, and was in the initial Danish World Cup squad last year.

Soldato
Apparently we have bid for Romain Sawyers, he ran the show at Elland Road last season but don’t really know much more about him.

Best midfielder in the division. Beautiful to watch, incredible passer and brilliant technique. Doesn't get stuck in or tear around the pitch, but he's my favourite Brentford player by some margin. In his last year of contract, and we sell players going into there final year if they're not going to re-sign. We've signed him placement already for ~£2m, so I don't see Sawyers sticking around... although I sincerely hope he does.

This will be his last chance at a big contract, so I'd be surprised if he went to Leeds - or many other Championship sides. Can't see many paying upward of £15k per week, which is probably what we could afford, and I'd have thought a Derby, Fulham or Boro would be better placed to snap him up.

Soldato
Bamford will no doubt be on 20k odd so I’m sure we would stretch to that. Philips looks to be sold so seems obvious he would be the replacement. No money at Boro so them days are long gone :)

That might be enough to take him north then. It is cheaper up there, or so I've heard... ;)

I don't get the feeling he's driven by £££, but a big contract at 27/28 years old would be a big sell for most footballers. He's a great player and would improve any side.

Back
Top Bottom