Is my house going to burn down? (Coax cable and F connector)

Associate
I just moved in to my new home, got everything set up, but found the antenna wasnt picking anything up on the TV. The living room had an aerial wall socket, and it had an antenna on the roof, and I could see the box the antenna connects to and the cables that go to the wall sockets in the loft, so I thought maybe the wall socket was dodgy (cable was very loose, both of the ones I tried, when I plugged it in, and didnt seem to go in all the way.

Got another wall socket, installed it, exact same issue, so I went up into the loft and checked the exact model of, what I thought was, just a splitter in the loft. Turned out to be a signal amplifier, but I could not see any power getting to it, just plain coax cables inserted.

Got the model number (Vision V20-42060HE), and had a google, found it at amazon, which shown it comes with a mains power supply, which I found out plugs in near a wall socket, plugs into the wall socket, then another cable goes out to the TV, therefore giving it the boost to the entire setup. Awesome, order that and away we go. Model for the power supply ordered is Vision V23-2102GM.

Arrived today, and of course..... the coax cables I have dont fit it. It came with something called F connectors, which i'd never used before, so I watched a YouTube video which shown how to properly terminate them. So I cut 1 head off 2 of the coax cables I had, fitted the F connectors, plugged it all in, green light on the little box and the TV is picking up a signal perfectly now. So, im happy ! But ....

I have never dealt with any F connectors before, only ever dealing with putting regular connectors on the end of coax cables, and never with an actual plugged in booster. My house isnt going to burn down if i've cocked something up is it ? Am I just being a tit ? Would I be better off buying some already terminated cables ?

Sorry for the long one !

Soldato
Think you'll be fine. F-connectors are great, do the same job, and are much nicer than the normal coax bnc connectors.

I'm currently having a similar issue right now with my aerial and weak signal. Wall socket where the TV used to plug in was great a year or two ago. Only recently ditched Virgin Media TV and tried the Freeview but getting lots of break up and very few channels showing up.

Associate
Not sure of the voltage put out by one of the boosters, but it's signal only, so will be next to no current, so even with a short will do little more than just stop your TV getting any signal (worst I can see happening, is it blowing the booster, but it probably has protection build in)

Back
Top Bottom