I did it again... Bought a baby blade to rebuild...

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Little more time spent tonight, and really struggling with getting spark.
I can get 12v to the coils, but nothing to spark plugs.

I tried cleaning pickups, testing them for resistance, bypassing the fuel cutoff relay

This leaves me with three options - ECU, Pickups, or fuel cutoff relay (the live feed for the coils goes through this relay).

I will clean every connector before I purchase anything else at this stage, but got fed up this evening, so will come back another time refreshed. :D

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Looking at the wiring diagram, the clutch switch is linked via a diode to the neutral switch, so it should not be needed when in neutral, which the bike is.
I dont think it will turn over if the neutral switch is not engaged?
I will have to try and see what it does when in gear!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Ok, in short...

I have spark.....

Do I dare try to start it with easy start at 1am with no exhaust? No chance. Wife would murder me..

In the end it was the flipping kill switch. It was testing ok, but was failing under any current. Not sure how that is even possible. Bypassed it, and now I have spark from both coils!

Took about 2 hours of fiddling and another person to bounce ideas off till we figured it out.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I persuaded the Mrs to hold my phone for me whilst I cranked it over this AM before I headed out for work. I offered up the manifold and half bolted it on, just to take the sting out of the noise :D
Did not have time to sort out the fuel supply, so I was using easy start to get an idea if it might actually start at all.

Quite happy with that, and the fuel pump is priming, and doing it's stuff as it should (at least it seems like it) Need to clean it out, and run some fuel through it. Then rig up a small fuel tank to let me see if I can actually run it. Debating doing a quick oil change before I do much else with starting it. The stuff in there looks clean, but who knows how old it is. The oil filter itself is pretty mashed up, so will likely just replace that in case its got any bits in it.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I got it to start!! Albeit briefly!

I figured the carbs may have been gunked up and a bit gooey, so I took off the fuel pump, and used a large syringe to push fuel into the carbs, managed to run the bike for about 10 seconds like this, and it seems to run fine, and even idled for a bit. Just a bit loud with the manifold only half offered up, and held in lightly on 1 and 4.

So, now i think I need to start looking at the rest of the wiring brakes and general cleaning/tarting up/maintenance.

Also, after the kill switch nonsense, I have ordered a set of new controls, and will add them to the new bars that arrived yesterday along with an original fuse box.

New bars:
CBR400rr071.jpg

They look pretty nice! Just got to remove the top yoke of the forks to get them on. Might have to hand the front of the bike from the rafters to do so!!

Close up
CBR400rr070.jpg

Fuse box:
CBR400rr073.jpg

Checked all the connectors, seems to be working fine :)
CBR400rr072.jpg

Fuse box is in, and all the other bits on the loom are starting to come to life.

I will try and get a short video of it running asap.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I think they should be fairly similar to standard :) Its a CBR, so will be a sporty riding position, they are now fitted :)

My new controls arrived (minus the pull/push throttle):
CBR400rr081.jpg

Here they are fitted:

CBR400rr080.jpg

CBR400rr079.jpg

Pulled all the connectors out, of the plugs, and worked out what was what using a multi-meter, and made new connectors to connect to the main loom:

CBR400rr076.jpg

Took a bit of figuring it out, but got them all sorted, and everything (other than the horn randomly) is working correctly :)
So I now have a fully working loom/indicators/lights/dials/switches.

Next I needed to do some work on the inside of the fuel tank. I looked into a load of possible treatments, but in the end I decided to buy some powder for making citric acid, so I can make up my own for future use. Much cheaper, and should mean I can make up many batches if needed.

Here was the tank with the first 100g of citric acid:
CBR400rr083.jpg

Water in:
CBR400rr082.jpg

You can see the line where it was cleaning up to:

CBR400rr078.jpg

Yup, its deffo getting better faster with the 300g concentration, I could even see it bubbling away gently and the water was getting filthy:

CBR400rr077.jpg

That was after a few hours, then with the next batch of 300grams and left overnight again:

CBR400rr075.jpg

Looking a bit better, just to dry it next:

CBR400rr074.jpg

Tank is now dry! The internal filter on the tap was knackered, so ordered a new one to replace asap.

As of now, we have a fully working loom, most of the controls, and other bits fitted. I even pumped up the tyres, and they hold air. As for the forks. I have a new lock set on order to replace the ignition/fuel tank lock and rear hatch lock.

Current to do list:

Clean, refit, and bleed the front and rear brakes
Purchase clock/fairing and light front frame
Purchase lights units, fit them!
Buy fairings
I may also need to replace the rear subframe.. its been altered quite a bit, and may not fit the original fairing mounts.
Fit throttle
Fit new lock set
Strip, prep and paint the tank
Fit new fuel tap/internal filter
Fit new in line fuel filter
Drill out 2 broken exhaust studs, and replace/re-tap if needed
Paint exhaust and refit
Check it all starts again
Fit new stator housing gasket (broke the old one when I cleaned the contacts for the ignition timing)
Oil and general service

Test ride it :D

Soldato
As it's been sitting a while and gone crusty...have you checked the condition / working of the front and rear shocks? Wouldn't want to get it all back together and find out they are blown or seized. Great work so far though, and that tank looks to have cleaned up very well internally which is cool.

Man of Honour
Change the fuel pipe, and have you wired up the kill/start switch yet?
If so, your switchgear looks similar to mine - the kill switch is configured to operate in the reverse manner to what you will likely have on the CBR - ie Kill is run and run is kill. Just before you start going mental trying to solve it!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
As it's been sitting a while and gone crusty...have you checked the condition / working of the front and rear shocks? Wouldn't want to get it all back together and find out they are blown or seized. Great work so far though, and that tank looks to have cleaned up very well internally which is cool.
Yup, I will do. Have rebuilt MTB forks before, so will make sure they work correctly before I get too carried away!

The fronts hold air and seem to work as expected. Not check the rear, but it appears to have been upgraded at some point.

I will likely take the bike down to parts again mostly before final assembly, just to clean everything up and make sure it looks great before I finish it.

Still waiting on DVLA to send me a V5.. so lets hope there is no hiccup there, or I may have a track bike :D

Change the fuel pipe, and have you wired up the kill/start switch yet?
If so, your switchgear looks similar to mine - the kill switch is configured to operate in the reverse manner to what you will likely have on the CBR - ie Kill is run and run is kill. Just before you start going mental trying to solve it!

No issues with the kill switch, works as designed on mine!
On my loom the kill is set to break a live to to the coils and ECU, so this switch works as desired?

How is yours wired on your bike?

Man of Honour
Yes, mine works the same - but the switch breaks it in the "Run" position not the "Kill" position. You can invert the switch itself but it's a bit delicate and fiddly as you need to pop it all apart and move the brass contacts around and resolder.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Odd, guess they screwed yours up in the factory in china :D

So, rather oddly I received a letter from the DVLA telling me that they would be processing my application on the 8th of next month? Not sure why they feel the need to send me a letter, and not just do it.. Has it gone through some form of pre-checking, is there some sort of extended check needed? When I registered my Monkey bike, (brand new NOVA backed import registration) it came back in a matter of days! Fingers crossed that is does have any issues!!

I also have now fitted the new throttle and new fuel tap, and just waiting on the new fuel tank cap/ignition and rear lock. So I can look to build it up to properly to test the engine with a fuel tank in place.

I also found a clock/fairing holder bracket for the front, and that is on the way hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom