Energy Suppliers

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Ok guys, leave it with me. I like the idea.

Also, for the post above which was removed, just referencing post one for those entering the thread and maybe missing the most recent references:

you should not promote or offer your referral unless requested and if requested should only be sent directly via trust, referral links (or references to) will be removed.

Caporegime
I had a bill for heating and hot water that said I owed -43
I paid £50

Just got a new bill saying I owe an even larger negative amount and realised what I had done.

Is it normal for bills to say
Payments due -83 or whatever ?
Don't they usually say payments due 0.0? and list your current account balance somewhere.

I'm sure I never saw something like this before on a bill

I feel so stupid wtf lol....

Associate
Joined bulb a few weeks ago and I've just been sent an email saying there installing 2nd gen smart meters in our area.

I've read a lot of bad things about the 1st gen meters,is it worth getting one installed? Or is it best to avoid and do manual readings once a month?

Soldato
Joined bulb a few weeks ago and I've just been sent an email saying there installing 2nd gen smart meters in our area.

I've read a lot of bad things about the 1st gen meters,is it worth getting one installed? Or is it best to avoid and do manual readings once a month?
I'm deferring the opportunity for as long as possible. The whole thing is a proxy to get a mechanism in place which would allow for peak charging models.

Soldato
I'm deferring the opportunity for as long as possible. The whole thing is a proxy to get a mechanism in place which would allow for peak charging models.
Agreed, anyone that thinks smart meters are for our benefit are kidding themselves.
It all ties in with power demand increasing as electric cars become more common, they need a way of smoothing out power demand and if they can make some money doing it you get yourself they will, ergo tarrifs variable by the minute.

Soldato

No reason you can't do both as a check. That's what I was doing after my SMETS1 meter was installed and now it's gone dumb again I'm still doing the same manual readings on a regular basis. Do you trust your supplier as I can guess most people would say no so you always need to be doing your own monitoring.

Even though the "smart" meter display doesn't tally with the unit cost now I've switched to another supplier. I can still monitor the kwh usage on a daily basis just to spot any unusual trends.

Once Bulb start roll out SMETS2 in my area I will have one installed. Then I'll be after a split tariff to benefit my EV charging in the morning. If Bulb don't offer it I'll switch supplier hopefully maintaining the smart functionality!

Caporegime
Agreed, anyone that thinks smart meters are for our benefit are kidding themselves.
It all ties in with power demand increasing as electric cars become more common, they need a way of smoothing out power demand and if they can make some money doing it you get yourself they will, ergo tarrifs variable by the minute.

So set up as a supplier that doesn't do this.
????
Profit!

All it takes it one company to go against the grain (when a grain annoys the customer base) and mop up all the goodies.

Man of Honour
With my fixed deal ending with Utility Point next month I have started a switch back to Bulb through MSE's Cheap Energy Club so I will get £25 from MSE and £30 from Bulb. Because my fixed rate with Utility Point had very low standing charges (10.499p per day on both gas and electricity) it was always going to be painful when the deal ended but even the unit price of gas and especially electricity have risen a lot over the past year. Sadly we have the most expensive energy in mainland UK up here even though Bulb is 100% renewable and Morayshire is covered with bloody windfarms.

Soldato
With my fixed deal ending with Utility Point next month I have started a switch back to Bulb through MSE's Cheap Energy Club so I will get £25 from MSE and £30 from Bulb. Because my fixed rate with Utility Point had very low standing charges (10.499p per day on both gas and electricity) it was always going to be painful when the deal ended but even the unit price of gas and especially electricity have risen a lot over the past year. Sadly we have the most expensive energy in mainland UK up here even though Bulb is 100% renewable and Morayshire is covered with bloody windfarms.

That's a shame, they were doing £75 to both parties of a referral until midnight last night.

Soldato
You'll get a SMETS2 from Bulb, it wont work, but it will be a shiney new pointless SMETS2 meter and estimated bills

My advice is dont go anywhere near Bulb unless you want awful customer service and incompetent IT staff

So no different from my current SMETS1 meter then or my 2 previous energy suppliers! At least in the future when we get compensated for the incompetent useless hardware installations I might get paid twice :)

I'll stay with Bulb for now to use up the hundreds of pounds of credit earned from switching people and then do another search.

Soldato
So no different from my current SMETS1 meter then or my 2 previous energy suppliers! At least in the future when we get compensated for the incompetent useless hardware installations I might get paid twice :)

I'll stay with Bulb for now to use up the hundreds of pounds of credit earned from switching people and then do another search.
There will be no compensation from your providers and the government won't do it either, although it's the government's problem stuff don't work!

Soldato
Ability to implement the Smet2 installation and software may become a weakness in the small guys;
for the big guys, if they start offering variable rates I could quit bulb. (the octopus vari-rate stuff is largely cosmetic, if you download some of their historic unit pricing csv's)

Is the market wrt to pricing/deals, stagnating at the moment, with uncertainty over brexit ? the referendum put the prices up, and may still be biassing them.

Soldato
My current tariff is coming to an end in August and I started looking to see if I can save much by moving, and I can't really so I'll re-fix with Shell Energy till 2021, but does anyone know why standing charges have increased so much?

Current standing charges of 3.81p for Gas and 4.77p for Electricity and the cheapest I can see now are around 15p for gas and 19p for Electricity. Is that to pay for infrastructure/smart meters?

Annual summaries show total consumption of 1616kWh electricity and 4445kWh gas which is pretty on the low side so the increase isn't massive for us.

Back
Top Bottom