• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading Monitors (1440) and need help on a new Graphics card

Associate
Hi all

I am going to get 3 dell U2719D monitors which are 1440 res and I own a AMD 5700 (1GB Ram) and would like to upgrade it. lol just a bit

so the question is what card do I need to get to run games at 60fps at 1440p as these monitors only do 60hz and would like the coolest low temps and a quiet card not to much high level of sound as I don't like loud fans running mad.

I have not looked into gaming on a pc for a long time but I wanted to try it out. I also do photoshop and movies 4k would be great as I am looking into x265 and 4k stuff.

any help or info would be great on a card that works well

My PSU is a seasonic Gold 650w if I remember and also my motherboard is a P7P55D-E-PRO-ASUS

I am going to upgrade the rest of the system this year or next, doing the gfx card first because of the new monitors

thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all

I am going to get 3 dell U2719D monitors which are 1440 res and I own a AMD 5700 (1GB Ram) and would like to upgrade it. lol just a bit

so the question is what card do I need to get to run games at 60fps at 1440p as these monitors only do 60hz and would like the coolest low temps and a quiet card not to much high level of sound as I don't like loud fans running mad.

I have not looked into gaming on a pc for a long time but I wanted to try it out. I also do photoshop and movies 4k would be great as I am looking into x265 and 4k stuff.

any help or info would be great on a card that works well

My PSU is a seasonic Gold 650w if I remember and also my motherboard is a P7P55D-E-PRO-ASUS

I am going to upgrade the rest of the system this year or next, doing the gfx card first because of the new monitors

thanks

Whats your budget? Also you have 8 year old CPU/Motherboard and more likely a Lynnfield generation CPU? I doubt you would make anything useful out with that CPU even if you buy an RTX2080Ti

Associate
OP
I am looking around about £200 but I always wait for a deal and not in any rush to get a new one as the monitors are about 1 month away from getting sent out so always looking fro a reduced price gfx but I don't know what to keep a eye out for.

yes my motherboard is old but I am going to upgrade that as well later down the line so I might as well get a good gfx card now as this is just to get the 3 new monitors to work this time as I will have to do this in stages as I can not afford to do it in one go, I know my system will not give me a good gameplay experience but this new card will eventually go into a new system with a new cpu so needs to be ok for that new system.

your right its a i5 750 Lynnfield 2.6ghz lol its served me well

cheers

Soldato
For your needs you'd be best served with an Nvidia GPU. The 1660 is around £200 and I'd say look for the dual fan versions if you value quiet. Granted, like Panos said, the GPU will be held back until you upgrade your CPU as well. Sadly the 1650 is such poor performance per £ that I wouldn't recommend it, even though it would be cheaper and likely perform the same before you upgrade.

Soldato
I am looking around about £200 but I always wait for a deal and not in any rush to get a new one as the monitors are about 1 month away from getting sent out so always looking fro a reduced price gfx but I don't know what to keep a eye out for.

yes my motherboard is old but I am going to upgrade that as well later down the line so I might as well get a good gfx card now as this is just to get the 3 new monitors to work this time as I will have to do this in stages as I can not afford to do it in one go, I know my system will not give me a good gameplay experience but this new card will eventually go into a new system with a new cpu so needs to be ok for that new system.

your right its a i5 750 Lynnfield 2.6ghz lol its served me well

cheers

Because it served you well the last 9 years doesn't mean it will continue. Your FPS even on a single 2560x1440 would be atrocious with top of the range CPU let alone 3 monitors, on that tight budget.
Personally I would advice to consider the 40" 4K Phillips freesync monitor. 40" at desk distance is pretty huge covering your field of view. And can be powered with a £300 gpu, with high/med settings. Or better a 55" 4K curved TV with freesync, like the Samsung KS7500 (thats an old model also and dirty cheap this days at £500). Paired with a Vega 64 could serve you well. In addition you can use an Xbox X/S with it and benefit from Freesync also.

After that a Vega 56 at £270 (non reference model) is the best you can buy at sub £300, but can run well 1 2560x1440 only on high settings. You have to lower settings.
@Poneros advice for 1660 means you will be playing for sub 30fps on single monitor to boot already, for £70 less than the Vega 56.

What you ask for triple 2560x1440 you need an RTX2080Ti and a 2600X or better a 3600X (or 8600K/8700K). Anything less you need to tone down the graphics to low/medium on 3 1440p monitors and still it will be a mesh.

Update. Considering your current PC and GPU budget, I would strongly consider to buy an Xbox X and a 4K 55" curved Freesync supporting TV of couple of gens back. Except if you play PC exclusive games.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi all thanks for getting back and helping.

I already own a Xbox one x on my 50" pioneer tv . I mainly use my pc for productive work but wanted to try some gaming and I am not to interested in making games run on all monitors just the one will do.

All I want is a card that can run the games ok at 60fps since the monitors I am after do only 60hz as 3 4k monitors would be a lot of cash so this is why I could stretch to 3 1440 res monitors. , but I don't really want to spend silly money on a gfx card. Will the new amd cards be any good or will they be to expensive when released next month.

Soldato
Hi all thanks for getting back and helping.

I already own a Xbox one x on my 50" pioneer tv . I mainly use my pc for productive work but wanted to try some gaming and I am not to interested in making games run on all monitors just the one will do.

All I want is a card that can run the games ok at 60fps since the monitors I am after do only 60hz as 3 4k monitors would be a lot of cash so this is why I could stretch to 3 1440 res monitors. , but I don't really want to spend silly money on a gfx card. Will the new amd cards be any good or will they be to expensive when released next month.

At £200 you will struggle. Vega 56 is the closest to be able to pull high settings at 2560x1440.

Associate
OP
thanks, the RX Vega 56 seems to hit £210 to £250 depending on the deal. will this fit my motherboard ? and are these power hungry or noisy as remember this is for my future pc upgrade so this card will be with me for at least 5 year. I don't really want a nosy card and these seem to come with 3 fans this tells me these must get very hot ?

another question would a RX 590 nitro be any good or is that a 1080p card

cheers

Soldato
Are you gaming on all three 1440p screens at once? Bear in mind that is a lot of pixels to move and would need a very expensive GPU to drive with decent settings. For a £200 budget if I'd be looking at a single 1080p monitor and an RX580.

I think either you need to increase your budget massively or go for less pixels. You can't do what you're hoping for on your budget, if you try you'll get terrible performance/very low settings whereby you may as well have gone 1080p and turned the settings up.

At the moment GPUs are expensive. There are some good deals on other system parts. Cool and power efficient out of the box is Nvidia but more expensive. Some good deals on AMD but requires a little tinkering, use a little more power.

Associate
try and find a 2nd hand 980ti ?

If you're happy to game on just 1 of the 3 monitors then it should pump out 1440p - but, good fps will also all depend on the cpu you have... and an old i5 might be a massive stumbling block...

for a new gpu then the 2060 could be ok at 1440p, or a 1660ti if you lower the settings - but you're looking at probably £300 for a 2060.
a load of 1440p benchmarks for the lower end gpus here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-04-15-gtx-1660-ti-benchmarks-7001

Associate
in all honesty, if you want something for a new build, last 5 years, pump out a decent 3 x 1440p display for work and 1 1440p for gaming then I would be looking for a 2070 min. Wait for next month for the "super" news, as there is meant to be a price-drop, and see what's available... But, I would guess you're looking around £400...

pair that with a x470 mobo a new Zen 2 3600X might be a good mid-tier build...

Associate
I think you'll struggle to achieve what you[re hoping for with that budget and the ancient CPU and mobo will hold back any card enormously.
Certainly wait until Nvidia super launch then maybe go for a second hand card or maybe Vega 56.

Soldato
You'd be better off waiting until you can do a full upgrade rather than spending on a new GPU that is going to be hamstrung by old Mobo and CPU in the meantime anyway. You'll get more for your money waiting for a full upgrade and you'll be able to make a more informed choice by buying all three components at the same time.

Associate
OP
Thanks all.

I would have waited but I got a very very good deal on them 3 dell monitors if they don't cancel my order for miss price. If they don’t I need to sort a card out in the next next two weeks as my gfx card will not run all three as my card is dvi only

I was going to wait till The new zen for the motherboard and cpu. But I need something to run the three monitors until I get sorted.

I know my system will hold the gfx card back but it’s just until I get sorted so not to bothered about playing games yet . Also I have no interest in running games on all three monitors just the one will do.

If the monitors get cancelled then I will have to rethink what I am going to do as the price will shoot up just for them.

Did read up on it and it seems the min I need for 60fps 1440p one monitor is a vega 56 or Nvidia 1660ti I think it’s called being the vega 56 is slightly faster

Oh the dell monitor’s are £789 for all three. Good price I think. Or is it.

Last edited:
Soldato
For the price, the AOC Q3279VWFD8 can't be beaten tbh.

31.5" 1440p 75hz + Freesync support ( on Nvidia cards too ) for £200.

Only downside is no Vesa mount as standard, and 31.5" might be too big for some desk setups.

Associate
OP
I would like to know why the dells are so expensive compared to monitors like that ? I know there factory calibrated but that should not make them twice the price as the 31"as its a smaller screen without gaming sync, very strange that.

The dell monitors must be a higher quality ips panels used or something to make them cost more ?
also the 31.5" would have the same dpi as my 24" 1200 res monitors and they could be doing with a bit more crisper text meaning a smaller monitor would be better but prob would not go any higher than a 28" in that respect.

been reading that a vega 56 can be firmware flashed to a vega 64 if it has the right memory might be worth a look but just need for them to drop in price a bit more

Soldato
I would like to know why the dells are so expensive compared to monitors like that ? I know there factory calibrated but that should not make them twice the price as the 31"as its a smaller screen without gaming sync, very strange that.

The dell monitors must be a higher quality ips panels used or something to make them cost more ?

The brand, slimmer bezels, built-in vesa mount, height / tilt / swivel adjustable stand, probably a better ips panel as you said, and higher overall build quality.

Permabanned
I think the biggest issue you face here is budget. Graphics cards have gone crazy in the past X years. It used to be given that you could get a starter enthusiast card for £300. Now you are talking £500 for the same thing. I think your budget should be about £500 not £200. And that's assuming you are gaming on just one monitor. If you want all three running at the same time then you can up that budget even more.

Back
Top Bottom