The Nextdoor App & Website - Social network for your neighbourhood

Soldato
Anyone use this?

https://nextdoor.co.uk/

It's been big in America for quite a few years, and seems to be taking off over here now and I'm getting postal invites.

I have no real desire to join another social network like this, especially something that is potentially going to be full of snarkyness and cliques with certain groups of neighbours, and because it entails handing over such personal information such as my home address.

On the other hand I do kind of want to be able to log on and see if there's any issues with the local community I should be aware of, such as crime activity or break ins.

Anyone got any interesting Nextdoor experiences and feedback to relate?

Soldato
We have a facebook page for our village and a neighbourhood watch page so most of the stuff gets posted in there. Seems pretty active too so I doubt we'd use this.

Caporegime
I'm a member of our local facebook neighbourhood group.

Yesterday, a 20-30 post thread about some sales people from Gousto knocking on doors.

"Are they dodgy criminals?"
"They have notepads and are walking up and down writng on them!"
"I had a visit from gusto lad pretending to have a French accent" (Maybe he was french?)

Yawn

Last edited:
Associate
Joined the facebook group for our village. Sometimes there's useful information that borders on "bored housewife" territory and sometimes there full on witch hunts. I have vowed to never actually post on it and be dragged into anything, I just sit back with the popcorn instead.

Soldato
I joined our local one a few months ago and deleted my account a week later.

Full of paranoid mothers (a car drove by and I definitely think that one of the people in it could have looked at my daughter. I didn't see him clearly but I think he was Asian because they do this), people selling stuff, pensioners with too much time on their hands and recently introduced to the internet (let me tell you about my career and experience, and why I should really be a natural leader for this neighbourhood), political adverts etc.

The only useful piece of information was a corroborated sighting of a heron. I warned my brother but he reacted too slowly and the next day the heron and his family were dining on some nice koi.

Caporegime
It's generally people too afraid of direct confrontation

"To the person who parked on my drive for 10 minutes this afternoon waiting to collect your kids from school, blah blah blah"

Just go outside and tell them to move!

Soldato
OP
I only like to view whatever activity is available through a crack in my curtains and then talk about it with strangers online :D

giphy.gif

Caporegime
"I had a visit from gusto lad pretending to have a French accent" (Maybe he was french?
So I can enjoy this person's outrage more fully, are they annoyed that they were pretending to have an accent or that it was a French accent? It's pretty confusing and I'm having to keep my anger on simmer so if you could just go ahead and clear that one up for me that'd be great.

Caporegime
So I can enjoy this person's outrage more fully, are they annoyed that they were pretending to have an accent or that it was a French accent? It's pretty confusing and I'm having to keep my anger on simmer so if you could just go ahead and clear that one up for me that'd be great.

Wish I could, but that was all she posted.

I added the it in brackets.

Last edited:
Permabanned
We have one, it has its uses, but as others have said, it can be a billboard for minor grievances "Mr. X has been walking on the new public flower beds with his dog again, can we get a petition, I think he's doing it on purpose because his wife wasn't invited on to the committee". Three farmers muck spreading a small invasion by "travellers" got a good response, thirty or so in gleeful support, one (there's always one, isn't there?), who was appalled these people ended up with brown Transit vans and caravans, and an even stronger body odour. And then there was the local blue rinser with : "Are the new people in the big house on Sloptown Street running a brothel, we saw various strange men going in and out for half an hour last night". Turned out to be undertakers removing a deceased... Unfortunately then someone wanted people to join an anti brexit meeting and it became untenable for weeks.... 75% useful, 25% toe curling. Bit like `ere...

Permabanned
I bet there's also a lot of discussion about who pooped through who's letter boxes too.

The next door neighbour (the one with the Confederate flag for those who recall the saga...) rang the other day saying something for me had been deposited in their letter box. When it turned out to be a package from RS Components I was mightily thankful.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom