• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
only problem is, like every console before it. developers get the best out of their games/coding/design at the END of a consoles life span. were tech and design has caught up so much, ideas and visuals want to push more then the console can achieve so developers really have to use their knowledge over 4 years of experience to drive it ! FF7 remake ... look at that now coming out on PS4 to what was first released for it - just flawless .

hopefully this is all ported over to PC's but having a feeling it'll be slower, and actually PC developers have the edge, Ashes of Singularity shows that a good PC developer can do with dx12/11 and vulkan :D

That’s less of a problem today as the consoles are now full blown PC’s. In the case of Xbox even down to the OS.

Soldato
I’ve had hours of fun playing games like FTL, Into the Breach, OpenRA, Age Of Empires 2, etc. And they’ll all run quite happily on an old dual core laptop. So it’s not that difficult to imagine. In fact I’m tempted to install Freelancer right now, just thinking about it. And there are still fairly hardcore communities around older games like Half Life, Battlefield 2 and the like. Given a locked-in dual core I could probably go the rest of my life exploring the thousands of low requirement titles that I know nothing about.

Yep and many brand new games are similar, puzzle games, point to click adventure games, jrpg games, strategy games and most indie titles. I played a really good platformer a couple of years back, it didnt feel dated or weak on graphics, the developer just optimised it really well it needed so little resources and looked glorious.

Soldato
Am i the only one that while playing a game has music,discord, and chrome etc open on other monitors , All of which is where the extra cores help

GAC

GAC

Soldato
That’s less of a problem today as the consoles are now full blown PC’s. In the case of Xbox even down to the OS.

if thats true then maybe, just maybe ports wont be a dogs dinner as much. when it comes to using more cores and not being single core messes.

Soldato

sums it up as you say lol

https://wccftech.com/ps5-xbox-scarlett-not-impressed-platinumgames/

even still, developers arent using what they are given on PC - due to 50% having 2 cores worth .

still think personally would be better for xbox and playstation to have 6 cores if it means dropping the price by $50-90 overall. smart would be to offer both i guess - pro and standard version . go streaming nuts with 8 cores etc

I have a feeling Twitch is more of a reason to have 8 cores then actual games pmsl . everyones a streamer now a days

Soldato
if thats true then maybe, just maybe ports wont be a dogs dinner as much. when it comes to using more cores and not being single core messes.

Single threaded is the way to go if one core can handle everything, most developers will tell you that, you dont make software multi core/threaded just for the sake of it, its kind of a last resort thing if you cant make it work on a single core.

There has even been game dev's tweeting this stuff out as well, saying how much of a pain it is to make games heavily threaded on the cpu.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Single threaded is the way to go if one core can handle everything, most developers will tell you that, you dont make software multi core/threaded just for the sake of it, its kind of a last resort thing if you cant make it work on a single core.

There has even been game dev's tweeting this stuff out as well, saying how much of a pain it is to make games heavily threaded on the cpu.

the problem is with that is why can a 1.something clocked ps4/xbox one run games better than the pc ports on machines that can be clocked up to 5ghz. maybe the devs should take more time over their games than posting stuff on twitter as a few of them seem unable or unwilling to do a good job no matter the amount of cores and performance.

Soldato
GAC Because the consoles are designed from the ground up to play games, they bare bones.

A PC (with windows on) is designed as a multi purpose device of which gaming is just one of the things it can do, so it basically has higher overheads.

A game that is single or dual threaded but then is cpu bottlenecked is just a badly coded game or a bad port, but if it runs absolutely fine whilst been single threaded then there is no problem.

When vesperia got released on the PC the multi threading actually caused serious issues for the game with stuttering, the mod dev who fixed it did so by forcing it to single threaded rendering mode.

Sadly performance optimisation is usually low priority in AAA game development, it tends to be what gets done right at end just prior to release. In my experience AAA titles suffer the worst from it and the majority of indie games I play run extremely well on very low end hardware.

Soldato

In 2005? This developer needs to learn development skills lol.

Soldato
No in 2019, as I said I consider it a bad developer who needs 8 5ghz cores for their game to run smooth, thats a serious lack of optimisation right there.

I have played some very enjoyable games developed within the past 12 months that load up one of my cores by under 30% and thats it. If software runs fine on a single core then the optimal way to code it is to run that way as multi threading adds overheads and complexity to code. Multi threading is a kind of kludge to get round hardware limitations since cpu's dont scale much now in per core performance.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
GAC Because the consoles are designed from the ground up to play games, they bare bones.

not exactly, since the ps3 generation they have been media players and the current gen have streaming and other stuff slapped on. so not really just built to play games. but yes they are more gaming focused than a pc.

the issue i take with that argument though is pc's have been used for gaming for over 20 years now, and multi core support isnt new, quake 3 had it in at the end of 99/2000 yes you had to manually activate it from the info i can find it gave roughly a 20% boost but just using it as an example that the idea of a game supporting smt isnt new.

Soldato
not exactly, since the ps3 generation they have been media players and the current gen have streaming and other stuff slapped on. so not really just built to play games. but yes they are more gaming focused than a pc.

the issue i take with that argument though is pc's have been used for gaming for over 20 years now, and multi core support isnt new, quake 3 had it in at the end of 99/2000 yes you had to manually activate it from the info i can find it gave roughly a 20% boost but just using it as an example that the idea of a game supporting smt isnt new.

Still built to play games. Those are all secondary features, and thats what the 1 core is reserved for with the other cores dedicated to the game itself.

So e.g. in windows you can do things like set cpu affinity for each process, and cpu priority levels, you may well achieve similar results if you were to manually tune affinity for every single non game process to not use same cores as game, and give a game exclusive use of specific cores, on top of that set the game to higher priority and results would likely be noticeable in cpu bottlenecked games, this kind of stuff is very likely done automatically on consoles.

This is of course where extra cores will typically help, if you one of those people who has things like chrome running whilst gaming, then extra cores would be useful for that, to prevent core contention.

Soldato
No in 2019, as I said I consider it a bad developer who needs 8 5ghz cores for their game to run smooth, thats a serious lack of optimisation right there.

I have played some very enjoyable games developed within the past 12 months that load up one of my cores by under 30% and thats it. If software runs fine on a single core then the optimal way to code it is to run that way as multi threading adds overheads and complexity to code. Multi threading is a kind of kludge to get round hardware limitations since cpu's dont scale much now in per core performance.

Consoles would murder PC’s for gaming if that was the case... The argument for serial processing within the industry hasn’t been valid since the inception of hyper threading.

Back
Top Bottom