Human Rights: Single mums might not be sent to prison

Soldato
If my wife went to prison then she might lose her job. I would continue to look after the kids by frequently working from home and pay all the bills as I am the greater wage earner. The kids would be looked after and have a roof over their heads.

If I went to prison then I would 100% lose my job, we would probably lose the house as my wife couldn't get anywhere near paying the bills. She can't work from home and so couldn't look after the kids as well as I could. Thr kids lives would be irreparably affected.

But she would get a lenient sentence... because mother?

Or you could actually read what's being discussed and see it relates to single parent families, so it 'should' be applied equally (as much as anything is) whether the single parent is male or female. It's just framed this way as 90% of single parents are female.

Soldato
Or yes I could do that. Oops :D

No worries :p

I edited my post to add that I expect it just gets framed this way as "mother" because 90% of single parents are female. Now if the proposal wasn't applied equally to single fathers then yes, that would be time to start complaining about it!

Soldato
The term "Single Parent" is not commonly used to describe someone who fathered/gave birth to a child but is not their primary carer, so YOU think about what you've written :p

By all means continue to perpetuate the common falsehood that mothers are the default carers, and thus get back to the nub of the topic of this discussion.

Soldato
The term "single parent" is well-understood, and implies custody of the child. It's a bit silly to argue that that isn't the case.

I raised my child as the non-custodial parent with custody two days are week. By your definition I was not a single parent. By your definition there cannot be two single parents raising a child. You're just perpetuating the bias that you're attempting to argue against by positing this thread.

Soldato
I'm not sure that quote is highlighting existing differences in sentencing... but rather different types of crimes being committed between the sexes.

I think you're right about my misinterpreting the meaning when I first read it.

However I disagree about the interpretation of the whole subject being necessarily about women being treated better than men as a result simply as a result of their sex.

Caporegime
Women get more leniant sentences for sex with minors even if they have no children. Whatever the cause equality between the sexes which is what feminism was originally about has definitely gone out of the window. The justice system should be blind to factors such as the defendants sex and who's going to take care of their kids that's for other people to deal with, you do the crime you do the time. Otherwise, the message you're sending is that if you have dependents you can get away with crime, which only encourages crime and which begs the question would that be a good upbringing for children.

Soldato
He lives at home with his mum, therefore he stands to benefit from this.

Does he though? It seems unlikely, unless he's demonstrably dependent upon his mother which he would not be unless under 18, or older with a physical or mental illness requiring a threshold of case. He works, so it doesn't seem likely unless I've missed something here? How is he going to benefit from a sentencing bias to be more lenient to mothers?

Soldato
Given this already affects the social security system, as well as the very generous maternity leave laws, this is not surprising t all in my view.

We headed in a direction where the well been off children is considered more important that the correct treatment of adults.

However with that said judges have very likely always taken children into consideration anyway when dealing with sentences. This kind of just makes it official.

Associate
Does he though? It seems unlikely, unless he's demonstrably dependent upon his mother which he would not be unless under 18, or older with a physical or mental illness requiring a threshold of case. He works, so it doesn't seem likely unless I've missed something here? How is he going to benefit from a sentencing bias to be more lenient to mothers?
It was semi in-jest. He's like 40 or something, but he does live in his parent's basement.

Associate
Right, but I don't think that's relevant.
Funny is always relevant. Also, the way he asked for help developing his career before he decided to ignore all of the advice provided and instead just keep posting outrage threads like this one, rather than make his life better.

Caporegime
Are we looking to make the woman's life more miserable or the child's? I can't provide my spicy hot take on this topic until I know who we're blaming and desperately trying to punish.

e: I'm not saying El Pew is right (I am, he is) but I'm also not saying Cornwall furry (but it seems I also did do this, so not very good at this game, am I?). I liked his spectacles opinion thread, that was actually a good one.

Soldato
Why are you deliberating spelling Human incorrectly?

It's the Richard Littlejohn style of spelling the subject matter phonetically, and in the process completely belittle the intended target before the reader has had a chance to consider a word of the detail.

As for the actual subject; I can understand why they are considering the effects the incarceration of a parent would have on a child. The criminal justice system isn't an absolute, it should evolve with society and those professional people who run the system are probably best placed to make these decisions.

Back
Top Bottom