• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
macOS doesn't have anything to do with Vulkan. That MoltenVK compatibility layer is an unofficial sideshow.

Apple's API called Metal is unique to macOS/iOS just as DirectX is unique to Windows/Xbox. It's more for GPU-accelerated applications than games on the Mac, because theres a mutual disinterest between Apple and "core gamers".

Associate
Looks like Nvidia decided to give AMD a break with the Navi pricing. They just upped prices for Super and left it at that. lol

Guess I'm definitely waiting for next year's cards, though I expect nothing but disappointment.

No surprise that the rabid Nvidia fans were sold dreams yet again with Nvidia hyping super. People saying that Nvidia would cut each SKU by $100 were delusional, their margins would have decreased and their stock price would have tanked yet again if that were to happen.

Caporegime
Looks like Nvidia decided to give AMD a break with the Navi pricing. They just upped prices for Super and left it at that. lol

Guess I'm definitely waiting for next year's cards, though I expect nothing but disappointment.

I would wait a week post release. Nvidia may not make official price reductions but the street might will come down through a few factors. Not least Nvidia can sell overstocked chips to the AIBs at reduced prices.

I never would expect the original Turing cards to survive long, they are EOL.

Soldato
Mid August for AIB custom cards

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/48893-custom-radeon-rx-5700-cards-come-in-mid-august

Dunno fella:confused:. Why are you getting rid of your R7, thought it was a good example?
It was a spectacular sample, just fancied trying out nvidia after 20 years, see what it's all about, have a cheeky look at rayracing to make my own mind up. Also I can then truly know both sides of the story instead of blind fanboism through reviews and tech data, i can see it with my own eyes

Associate
No surprise that the rabid Nvidia fans were sold dreams yet again with Nvidia hyping super. People saying that Nvidia would cut each SKU by $100 were delusional, their margins would have decreased and their stock price would have tanked yet again if that were to happen.

I suppose hope is always the last to die! :p

Associate
It was a spectacular sample, just fancied trying out nvidia after 20 years, see what it's all about, have a cheeky look at rayracing to make my own mind up. Also I can then truly know both sides of the story instead of blind fanboism through reviews and tech data, i can see it with my own eyes

I think the R7 is a stonking card, RTX features are not jaw dropping more like FPS dropping lol but understand why you wanted to see with your own eyes. So what’s the verdict for you?

R7 or 2080 with RTX features.

Soldato
I think the R7 is a stonking card, RTX features are not jaw dropping more like FPS dropping lol but understand why you wanted to see with your own eyes. So what’s the verdict for you?

The R7 is more fun to play with and overclock and the drivers are incredible ( nvidia drivers although looking like windows 98 recover better from crashes)
The speed is very similar but the 2080's edge can be felt, (also shhhhhhh but the gsync emulation on my free sync monitor is much better than just the freesync on the R7)

But I have to say having just played with the 2080 for 1 day, it's the better card :(
And I wish it wasn't the case, really and truly, but i could tell the difference in just 2 hours using it, AMD talk the big game but the cards just are on a different level
Maybe Navi will change this with the architecture adjustments and going forward, only time will tell.

Caporegime
@Panos Just leave him to it dude, I want to prove you right as well but i don't think people like this can really seperate their brainwashing from facts, others will join in and we will lose is how this ends, i've tried many times.

The R7 is more fun to play with and overclock and the drivers are incredible ( nvidia drivers although looking like windows 98 recover better from crashes)
The speed is very similar but the 2080's edge can be felt, (also shhhhhhh but the gsync emulation on my free sync monitor is much better than just the freesync on the R7)

But I have to say having just played with the 2080 for 1 day, it's the better card :(
And I wish it wasn't the case, really and truly, but i could tell the difference in just 2 hours using it, AMD talk the big game but the cards just are on a different level
So AMD don't have the superior architecture/products after all?

Soldato
So AMD don't have the superior architecture/products after all?
Architecture yes, gaming product no. The radeon 7 would eat the 2080 alive in any non gaming apps, the floating point is off the chain as is the memory size and bandwidth.

Actually the most glaring difference was that when games are loading the R7 was like an ssd to a hdd compared to the 2080, loading bars barely existed before and are a thing again now.

bru

bru

Soldato

Maybe Navi will change this with the architecture adjustments and going forward, only time will tell.

Architecture yes, gaming product no. The radeon 7 would eat the 2080 alive in any non gaming apps, the floating point is off the chain as is the memory size and bandwidth.
Actually the most glaring difference was that when games are loading the R7 was like an ssd to a hdd compared to the 2080, loading bars barely existed before and are a thing again now.

It is really good to hear of your experience, changing from Red to Green and not just slagging of the other side, but being constructive.

Associate
Well get the Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary edition day one if overclockers get stock off them and i am fast to order one before all go , as need a new card in my 2nd PC , and want too see how the new cards run ....

Associate

R7 and 2080 are not 4k "can do it all cards", great if you're on 1440p but in 4k land nope totally pointless sku given the money being asked.

2080Ti @2070 prices yeah that could work but doesn't exist

2080Ti Super @1080Ti price could also work but doesn't exist

not sure what more to say, discreet GPU gaming for PC 4k is officially screwed atm

Associate
Back
Top Bottom