Gin recommendations?

Soldato
That’s the same proportions I use. How do you measure the gin to 50ml though? I had a little measure from Amazon but although it was supposed to be 50ml, it was only 43.

Now I measure by weight. 45g is near as damnit to 50ml as makes no difference. 150ml of tonic is easy as that’s the can size.

Yeah I got one of them measures from amazon as well, called a jigger, will have to check mine see if it is actually 50ml.

Commissario
OP
Picked this up in Morrisons today for £16. I first drank this at the work Christmas party last year and I enjoyed it. I see it regularly at supermarkets so it's clearly well marketed but for £16, I couldn't turn it down. I guess it's a pretty bog-standard gin but let's see if it's as decent as I remember.

PdocYRx.jpeg

Commissario
OP
I've got a glass of it now, you're right. For a relatively cheap gin, it's not bad at all. At the party they had Brecon, Tanquerry and Silent Pool. I think I preferred Brecon out of all three - I do think Silent Pool is overrated (I've said that before in this thread).

Soldato
Yup, I bought this one and it really isn't 50ml. I wonder if the things you can put in the bottle to dispense 25ml per pour are any more accurate.

Still need to check mine, I believe I got the BarCraft jigger on Amazon. Anyway if not sure just add extra:D

Schweppes 1783 tonic is on offer in Sainsbury's for £2 for 6 cans, not bad when Fevertree is around £4 for 8 cans.

Soldato
Made my own one this weekend. Will check it out in 2 week's time...

YIXn6HW

Commissario
OP
Two new ones.

Boodles - Bog standard slurping gin. This was on special at Morrison's for £18 so I couldn't resist.
xKWoecQ.jpeg

Wild Island Botanic gin. This was a Father's Day present (I may have dropped hints).
JD6Jjrx.jpeg

Soldato
I've been enjoying Ableforth's bathtub gin recently, very distinctive flavour which I grew quickly to like, not cheap though. I really need to try some Cambridge Dry gin as it's locally produced, but it's often £45 a bottle which has put me off so far.

Commissario
OP
but it's often £45 a bottle which has put me off so far.
I'm not comfortable paying that price. I don't think I've paid more than £40 for a bottle and that was a difficult choice.

Anyone else here a member of the Craft Gin Club ?
Nope although I keep getting adverts for it on Facebook.

Great gins, I used to love finding out what other bits and bobs they sent you as well.
Out of interest, what sort of things do they send? I guess I've been a bit concerned that I'll get gin that I don't like (a bit like the old Britannia Record Club where they sent out rubbish most months on 'approval').

Soldato
You mean apart from the bottle of gin? (which is normally a very nice bottle, and comes from countries all over the world)

You will almost definitely get a tonic water of some kind, usually from a lesser known company but are still very nice. The theme is normally little bits from the country the gin is from. So when there was one from Norway, you had Norwegian sweets, and/or chocolate.....that sort of thing.

If it's £45 still, it's not bad value at all. You pay £40 for a premium bottle of gin anyway, so an extra fiver for delivery, and extras is good to me.

The problem can be working your way through it before the next month! That's why I've got about 50 bottles of gin at home! (not all from the club)

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom