Dell Optiplex headache!

Soldato
Looking for some help please guys.

I've got an old sff optiplex 990 that I'm looking to turn into a little 1080p gaming rig for my lad.

I had a bad ram module and replaced it as system wouldn't post.

Now I've got a strange issue with lack of signal, having to use the on board dp port. When I boot up I just get no signal until it gives me the option to repair or select windows 10. Clicking on either of those loses the display signal.

No seeing the bios screen nothing, I've tried reseating cables and ram but getting nowhere. Not getting any led error codes on the front either.

What do you guys think?

Soldato
It sounds like you've added a video card, what is it?

Does it work properly if the video card isn't installed?

Any chance that the bad memory could have resulted in a corrupt Windows install?

Soldato
OP
No video card added yet, struggling to find a low profile 1050ti that isn't ridiculously priced...

No idea what could have happened, it was fine when it went in to storage, albeit very slow. Without being able to get a signal to see what's going on I'm flying blind.

Soldato
I think it'd need a passive DP to HDMI adapter cable. It should have a VGA output as well.

I'd try booting from USB (Windows 10 installer or Linux Live of some sort) and see how that goes.

Soldato
OP
No HDMI just DP & VGA I don't have any VGA stuff to hand either so will have to order one. I'm going to pick up a spare cmos battery to try as well as I've had some weird issues in the past thanks to them

Soldato
OP
Think the board is dead, changed cmos battery and cleared, started getting front panel error codes 1,2 and 1,3,4 which indicate a dead board. Doh! This project looks like it's going to cost me more than I bargained for. Still I can salvage some bits, the new ram, cpu, cooler etc might not get much for them but it's something I guess

Back
Top Bottom