Anyone using ID Net?

Soldato
They look quite promising on face value although not the cheapest. Anyone using them and have an opinion? Don't mind paying a little more for best possible performance/service given how much in the house depends on the connection today.

https://www.idnet.net/

Soldato
They're local to me and have used them for business and personal use.

Their support is great, though you'll get standard OpenReach SLAs on major issues. They have options for decent pre-configured routers too, which helps those who are less likely to know how to set one up.

Associate
Zens pricing is very aggressive at the moment, just got a 1TB leased line for £400 / month.

**Edit typo 1GB.

Last edited:
Caporegime
£400 for a gigabit is incredibly aggressive, though the market has been trending that way for a while. Definitely something that people looking to pay £12k for an FTTPoD installation and then a year of service at ~£100/month need to be aware of. I think a lot people who write off a leased line as unaffordable haven’t kept up with the market.

Associate
Been using them a a while now and to be honest, not much better than my previous connection with one of the big boys, and certainly not for the price, apart from IPv6, but even that i can't really see the point of.

Just had a 100/100 leased line priced up at 180/month with no ECCs.

Associate
£400 for a gigabit is incredibly aggressive, though the market has been trending that way for a while. Definitely something that people looking to pay £12k for an FTTPoD installation and then a year of service at ~£100/month need to be aware of. I think a lot people who write off a leased line as unaffordable haven’t kept up with the market.

We have an FTTPoD service that just went live at one of our remote offices and it was £3500 install / £200 a month (Only BT at the exchange hence double monthly) but once the initial year is up we can go back out to tender and should be able to get a decent price. The install times for some locations are what makes it a pain - we were quoted 3 months and it took over a year.

1TB? Holy Moley! :p

Typo, 1GB :) vs the 900 for our previous 200mb.

Man of Honour
I was quoted £7,298.00 plus VAT for FTTPoD, even with the small business gigabit voucher scheme it was too much for me to justify.

What's frustrating is that there was nothing on the quote saying where the money was going, just a flat fee. The guy who did the survey said it should be very easy. Although I'm still none the wiser where the aggregation node is.

Associate
I was quoted £7,298.00 plus VAT for FTTPoD, even with the small business gigabit voucher scheme it was too much for me to justify.

What's frustrating is that there was nothing on the quote saying where the money was going, just a flat fee. The guy who did the survey said it should be very easy. Although I'm still none the wiser where the aggregation node is.

If you were to have two businesses registered at that address... both would be able to apply for the voucher.. :)

Man of Honour
If you were to have two businesses registered at that address... both would be able to apply for the voucher.. :)
I didn't know that, my lodger is a contractor through his own limited company. I can't remember the details but is the GVS is without VAT?

Edit, looked through my email, that would leave £2757.60 (if the prices have not changed). Still a bit much really.

Associate
I didn't know that, my lodger is a contractor through his own limited company. I can't remember the details but is the GVS is without VAT?

Pretty sure the businesses we used were ltd companies, it's listed as £2500 and the figure I recall is £3000 so must be £2500 + VAT don't quote me on that though!

Caporegime
FTTPoD is such a weird arrangement, I don't know why you can't just give the cash to Openreach directly and then have your address show up as having native FTTP available. The massive increase in monthly charge as well as the eye watering install costs make very little sense compared to a leased line - assuming your FTTPoD quote isn't like £5k which is a lot more reasonable.

Associate
The GBVS payment has no VAT.

If your install was £1000 plus vat, the voucher would cover the £1000, but you would have to pay the VAT element, which is fine if you are VAT registered.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all, so no real advantage over Zen or one of the others. Any last minute thoughts on the quality of Sky broadband if I can get a good deal combined with TV package as a new customer?

Soldato
Any last minute thoughts on the quality of Sky broadband if I can get a good deal combined with TV package as a new customer?
Limited router support because they don't use vanilla PPPoE connections.

Limited or no availability for static IPs.

The actual connection shouldn't be any different to any other ISP.

Caporegime
Sky is a great service as long as you're happy with the router they provide and the features (as mentioned above, no static IP). There's more than enough capacity in the network, good peering, on-net CDNs etc.

Back
Top Bottom