Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Don
I guess they're in another league price wise, but the performance is ballistic and you get all the advantages of Hybrid + AWD.

Absolutely; completely capable cars i their own right - though the Panamera imo looks awful; But they aren't estates; Panamera is a saloon with a sportback rear end, and the Cayenne is a 4x4.

For me, I would go electric or Hybrid just yet; If I were to ever consider going down that route (I doubt I would, because I'd miss the noise of a good petrol engine), the technology would need to be more mature and the infrastructure massively improved upon. Look at what's happened in the last couple of years with regards to improvements for electric - fast charging, vastly greater mileage, huge improvement in performance figures; Where will it be in 2 more years, or 5 more years? I see buying an electric car similar to buying an iPhone, in that you need to keep buying the latest version (or a version apart, e.g. iPhone 8 -> iPhone X), as the improvements on there warrant the need for the improvement. With petrol or diesel alternatives, the improvements between the various iterations are good, but take years to phase out - e.g. Golf Mk6 to Mk7. A normal car life cycle is 5 years or so between versions, as there's not huge amounts to improve on; Slight performance, generally a different look, updated interior. That's it.

Soldato
Absolutely; completely capable cars i their own right - though the Panamera imo looks awful; But they aren't estates; Panamera is a saloon with a sportback rear end, and the Cayenne is a 4x4.

For me, I would go electric or Hybrid just yet; If I were to ever consider going down that route (I doubt I would, because I'd miss the noise of a good petrol engine), the technology would need to be more mature and the infrastructure massively improved upon. Look at what's happened in the last couple of years with regards to improvements for electric - fast charging, vastly greater mileage, huge improvement in performance figures; Where will it be in 2 more years, or 5 more years? I see buying an electric car similar to buying an iPhone, in that you need to keep buying the latest version (or a version apart, e.g. iPhone 8 -> iPhone X), as the improvements on there warrant the need for the improvement. With petrol or diesel alternatives, the improvements between the various iterations are good, but take years to phase out - e.g. Golf Mk6 to Mk7. A normal car life cycle is 5 years or so between versions, as there's not huge amounts to improve on; Slight performance, generally a different look, updated interior. That's it.

To be fair i'm not sure phones are the best example anymore. Maybe a few years ago but i think a lot of people now are holding onto their phones longer as the leap in technology from model to model just isn't there anymore. It's more of a slight tweak.

I agree with you about Hybrid/Electric cars though. It needs to get to that stage where new versions are minor tweaks rather than revolutionary changes before i get on board.

Don
To be fair i'm not sure phones are the best example anymore. Maybe a few years ago but i think a lot of people now are holding onto their phones longer as the leap in technology from model to model just isn't there anymore. It's more of a slight tweak.

I agree with you about Hybrid/Electric cars though. It needs to get to that stage where new versions are minor tweaks rather than revolutionary changes before i get on board.

Those which want to keep up with technology will change no matter what;

I don't think we're massively far away from those minor tweaks rather than revolutionary changes; But I just can't get past the lack of noise.

Soldato
Interesting real world feedback on the C43 here :)

It's a model I noticed recently in estate form having never really looked at Mercedes in the past. How do you find the comfort of the car when just wafting around? Does it handle crappy UK roads well without feeling too harsh inside?
I have a MK5 Golf R32 at the min which I genuinely love but certainly interested in upgrade options to something with more space and more comfort while still retaining a nice large characterful engine and 4WD/AWD. The C43 seems to fit the bill as does an Audi S4 Avant

Soldato
Ha the noise is definitely important to me, it's not the be all and end all, but I think in this particular instance, because the C63 would be so similar given they are the same interiors and look the same on the exterior that it has to be properly special for me to want to upgrade, and I didn't find the C63 special enough. If I didn't already have a C43 then I'd have been blown away.

As for the second car, I'd love too but it would be storing it somewhere as we only have a double drive and parking on the street is frowned upon down our road :p Plus at the moment in my current contract, I'm getting the train on the few days I'm not working from home, so if I had a second "fun" car, I'd never drive the C43 or vice versa.

I think my plan of attack now is to wait a couple of years for a C class refresh and get a C63 then as a natural upgrade to the C43 as I only tend to keep cars 2-3 years max anyway, as it will make more sense then instead of doing it after 7 months. I was originally looking at my next car being a Huracan, but having baby number two on the way in October put a pretty big halt to that :p
Haha kids are good at putting a stop to things like that :p

I could be in a very nice 911 for the same price I pay each year for both of my kids school fees haha.

Associate
Picked up this CLS63 almost a fortnight ago and still in the honeymoon period.

48044944263_cdcc465e5b_c.jpg

Signed up to take it to Deutsche Fest at Brands Hatch on 7th July - anyone else going along?

Associate

It's a model I noticed recently in estate form having never really looked at Mercedes in the past. How do you find the comfort of the car when just wafting around? Does it handle crappy UK roads well without feeling too harsh inside?
I have a MK5 Golf R32 at the min which I genuinely love but certainly interested in upgrade options to something with more space and more comfort while still retaining a nice large characterful engine and 4WD/AWD. The C43 seems to fit the bill as does an Audi S4 Avant

I'm probably qualified to help on this one since I now own a C43 estate. I never had the R32 but did have a MK5 GTi in the past.

The C43 is a very good car and definitely ticks the luxury box far more than a MK5 Golf does. The traction from 4WD is great and I am yet to trouble it on wet or wintry roads. You will be used to great traction though, coming from an R32.

As for "wafting around" on UK roads, I'd say there will be less of this. The suspension is very hard and every hole in the road is noticeable (I think they have fixed this to some extent on the facelift version). I also suffer from the well documented 'crabbing' in cold weather (front wheels skip when moving slowly under full lock below 15 degrees C) which I'm under the impression will be resolved if I switch to all-season tyres.

I like the fact that it is relatively rare and doesn't shout 'look at me' (which the C63 does!). I also like the fact that it is a nice, family vehicle, which I can have fun with when the situation dictates. It is much rarer than something like an S4 avant, which is another plus point for me.

It's a very quick car and in reality there is too much power for UK roads (did I really just say that :rolleyes: ). You get to 60 so quickly that you have to back off the fun pedal before you know it. I don't have the performance exhaust on mine, which makes a big sound difference however I was coming from a rattly 4-cyl engine so it still sounds decent to me.

All in all, it's a great car which I expect to keep for a very long time. It also comes with Mercedes sized running costs which is a point worth noting :p

Man of Honour

It's leagues ahead of the F10 530d I had before it, both in refinement and comfort. Everyone who has been in my car agrees too so it's not just me trying to justify it :p

In comfort mode, the car is a completely different beast until you floor it. Nice and subtle exhaust note with the performance exhaust, and suspension is set up just right. It's still going to make you feel those pot holes, but that's just a UK roads problem as opposed to a C43 problem. However, if you drive round in Sport+, it's really quite harsh :D

C43 really is the perfect mix of performance and being practical. Fuel economy, you can expect around mid 30's on a long run, around town and short trips, mid 20's.

If you do get one, make sure you get the performance exhaust. I originally drove one without it, and don't get me wrong, it still sounds lovely. But I was blown away by the noise when I got mine and and heard the performance exhaust and stick it in Sport+, it really is glorious. As I said previously, I actually prefer the noise to the C63, it's a lot more shouty and potentially seen as "chavvy" by some with the pops and bangs, but it makes me grin ear to ear every time

Man of Honour
It's leagues ahead of the F10 530d I had before it, both in refinement and comfort. Everyone who has been in my car agrees too so it's not just me trying to justify it :p

Maybe they're just being polite? :p I'm surprised to hear this.

I've done thousands of miles in F10's, new C Classes and new E Classes. The E Class is certainly very refined, though not lots more than an F10. I didn't think the S Class was that much better than the E, that's how good it is!

The C Class is a clear level below both - still an excellent, refined car - but it feels more like an upsized A Class, where the other two are a smaller version of the 7 Series and S Class.

I've absolutely no doubt the C43 is more fun though, especially with the sports exhaust.

Man of Honour
Maybe they're just being polite? :p I'm surprised to hear this.

I've done thousands of miles in F10's, new C Classes and new E Classes. The E Class is certainly very refined, though not lots more than an F10. I didn't think the S Class was that much better than the E, that's how good it is!

The C Class is a clear level below both - still an excellent, refined car - but it feels more like an upsized A Class, where the other two are a smaller version of the 7 Series and S Class.

I've absolutely no doubt the C43 is more fun though, especially with the sports exhaust.

Wafting down the motorway, the C43 just feels so smooth both in terms of the engine and the way it covers miles, compared to the F10, maybe it's just being a petrol over a diesel that makes it seem so much more refined and less noisy inside. Maybe Eco Pro, which is what I used on the F10 when on a dual carriageway or motorway, stiffens up the suspension ever so slightly compared to the C Class, which I just use on Comfort.

Man of Honour
Wafting down the motorway, the C43 just feels so smooth both in terms of the engine and the way it covers miles, compared to the F10, maybe it's just being a petrol over a diesel that makes it seem so much more refined and less noisy inside. Maybe Eco Pro, which is what I used on the F10 when on a dual carriageway or motorway, stiffens up the suspension ever so slightly compared to the C Class, which I just use on Comfort.

I need to try one sometime!

Associate

I can't say I've ever seen my C43 as the sort of car that wafts. It's a brilliant car all around but it doesn't fall into the wafting category IMHO. I don't do many motorway miles though so spend most of my time navigating potholed roads.

I also struggle to better 21mpg most of the time :eek: (although I do manage to hit 35mpg on a motorway run).

Soldato
I can't say I've ever seen my C43 as the sort of car that wafts. It's a brilliant car all around but it doesn't fall into the wafting category IMHO. I don't do many motorway miles though so spend most of my time navigating potholed roads.

I also struggle to better 21mpg most of the time :eek: (although I do manage to hit 35mpg on a motorway run).

Does the C43 have air suspension? I have an E43 and that wafts along very nicely.

Man of Honour

Interesting. I do a couple of trips down to Portsmouth a month and I love doing it in this car as it's so nice to be in on the motorway. As said, I much prefer it to the F10 and the Jaguar XF I had previously.

Man of Honour
It's leagues ahead of the F10 530d I had before it, both in refinement and comfort. Everyone who has been in my car agrees too so it's not just me trying to justify it

I think there is probably some of that going on if I am honest.

The C class is an excellent car of which I am a fan, but it is a 3 series rival released in 2014. It makes no sense that it would be a more comfortable and refined car that what was, at the time, the main E Class rival from the class above. There is no need for it to be and it would endanger E class sales anyway.

But I have personal experience too - I put around 2000 miles on a very well specified (including distronic plus) C class as a rental in Australia last year. It was an excellent car and j very much prefer it to the 3 series but it was neither more refined nor more comfortable than my 5 Series.

The infotainment interface was terrible too :p

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I also suffer from the well documented 'crabbing' in cold weather (front wheels skip when moving slowly under full lock below 15 degrees C) which I'm under the impression will be resolved if I switch to all-season tyres.
All-season tyres are awful and possibly the worst match for a performance car.
I have Goodyear Vector All-Seasons on my 150bhp Golf and the wheels spin up in the wet, spin up when it's hot, slide around in the wet and this is a 1.4 not a bloody modified GTI without a diff!

Honestly, get UHP summer tyres and a second set of wheels with UHP Winters and do it properly.

Back
Top Bottom