• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Starting to wonder if a 12C part is way overkill for me. Starting to consider an 8C and change to 12 a few years down the line once prices ease right back or just go whole hog now and upgrade again in 5+ years.

Get the 3700x/3800x on release then sell up and swap to refresh 12 core in 2 years for a drop in upgrade + BIOS flash. Pretty set on doing this myself.

Soldato
Well, a Ryzen 2700X at 4.3Ghz just about matches my 4690K @ 4.6Ghz in Cemu and the Ryzen 3 cores are supposed to be at least 15% faster at the same clock speeds, so Cemu will be no problem for Ryzen 3 or any other emulator.

I'm 4k BOTW with my 8086k so ideally I'm kind of hoping for an upgrade on that or at least it matching that. Do you think it can happen?

Soldato
depends what you do. If you don't do anything that requires 12c then yes it is overkill.
Just mostly gaming I would say really.

Get the 3700x/3800x on release then sell up and swap to refresh 12 core in 2 years for a drop in upgrade + BIOS flash. Pretty set on doing this myself.
I actually think this could be a good way to go and save myself a good chunk of money too.

Soldato

The risk with this, is that in 2 years almost certain to be a new socket with DDR5 and the AM4 12c 16c parts are likely to be rare as only a low percentage of overall sales so fetch premium prices for a while with AM4 upgrades in demand. Any 'AM5' upgrade may need board and memory so may not be cheap.

For me, £100 is around 5% of a full build with RTX/Navi.

Mine will be used then handed down though the family or maybe become the unraid server. My whs2011 still runs on an athlon 640 in a board from around 2007, originally it was a X2 240u though does need to retire as it only does backup.

Also more cores will speed up tasks that stop me from gaming, and may even allow me game while they run if I can pick cores with a VM or similar. Will be I interesting.

I think the 3800x is over priced in the stack, should be £330 which would make more of a jump to 12c.

However for £100, seems like a good deal.

Soldato
The risk with this, is that in 2 years almost certain to be a new socket with DDR5 and the AM4 12c 16c parts are likely to be rare as only a low percentage of overall sales so fetch premium prices for a while with AM4 upgrades in demand. Any 'AM5' upgrade may need board and memory so may not be cheap.

Mine will be used then handed down though the family or maybe become the unraid server. My whs2011 still runs on an athlon 640 in a board from around 2007, originally it was a X2 240u though does need to retire as it only does backup.

Also more cores will speed up tasks that stop me from gaming, and may even allow me game while they run if I can pick cores with a VM or similar. Will be I interesting.

I think the 3800x is over priced in the stack, should be £330 which would make more of a jump to 12c.

I forgot it was approx £100 difference between the two. Probably best just to stick with the 3900X for that little extra.

Permabanned
QUOTE:

Looks like the the Infinity Fabric may not be necessarily locked to specific ratios depending on ram speed:

From the description as best as I can tell: "Infinity Fabric frequency (FCLK?) Auto: FCLK = MCLK. Manual: FCLK? must be ? MCLK for best performance in most cases. Latency? penalties are incurred if FCLK? and MCLK are mismatched. but sufficiently? high MCLK can negate &? overcome this penalty."

Image is from hwbattle: (http://www.hwbattle.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=hottopic&wr_id=10833&ckattempt)

EDIT: Translation is not clear but looks to be AMD AGESA BIOS COMBO AM4 1.0.0.2 . Board may have originally had an earlier BIOS.

76yp2srrjb531.png

Soldato
I imagine that's a very advanced clock to set and, as both the description and AMD seem to suggest, it'll be faster in most cases to leave it at a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio.

Soldato

I don't see DDR5 offering much for a year or two after it launches. PCIE 5 won't be required for 5+ years I would think. We don't even need PCIE 4 atm. The smart move would probably be to go 3700X now then max out the board when the fastest CPU for the socket goes EOL.

Depends on your personal upgrade strategy though.

Soldato
I don't see DDR5 offering much for a year or two after it launches. PCIE 5 won't be required for 5+ years I would think. We don't even need PCIE 4 atm. The smart move would probably be to go 3700X now then max out the board when the fastest CPU for the socket goes EOL.

Depends on your personal upgrade strategy though.

+1

Well said mate.

AM4 should be around for another 2 years or longer at least.

I'm on a 8700k with a z370 and my path is dead. I am still thinking about going ryzen 3000, but with a x470. Still don't know what to do? I don't need pci-e 4. I would like to move to a new platform that has some what of a future.

Soldato
If Ryzen Master gets good enough to take over the setup/tweaking (essentially becomes another API for UEFI bios or at least, like afterburner, totally takes over control)... that would be a pretty decent step.
As it is, I tend to tinker in Ryzen master, get something nice/stable then set it in bios once I know it'll (probably) work ok.

If Ryzen Master is as far as tinkering with the infinity fabric clock... dang. That'll be VERY sweet. (I doubt it but... one can dream).

Soldato
+1

Well said mate.

AM4 should be around for another 2 years or longer at least.

This line of thought HAS planted a seed. Dunno, will probably just go 3900X and be done with it. I'm pretty damn sure the 3800X will eventually be the tweakers chip and better if you have no need for more than 8 core.
3800X now... drop the 16c refresh in it next year... I still fancy the 3950x in Sept. I think if I got that though... unless life allows, I'd have to give the refresh a rest after that :D

Soldato
Consoles would murder PC’s for gaming if that was the case... The argument for serial processing within the industry hasn’t been valid since the inception of hyper threading.

There is nothing wrong with multi threading when its needed, I am just saying you dont multi thread everything just for the sake of it. Plus it is difficult do code for. Thats why most software even today is single threaded.

Hyper threading you guys already know my view, that in itself has become pretty overhyped, and a fair amount of people think its a lot better than it is. My discussion in the past few posts was based on threading to extra dedicated cores.

So basically lets say you have a software that peaks at 800mhz demand, even low end chips have 800mhz available on a single core, so you just single thread the software. There would be no benefit to multi threading it and would actually increase load and risk of bugs with the overhead. However if you need say 10ghz of cpu power then by all means multi thread to split the load across multiple cores. There is also considerations to take into play as well with things like cache management, multi threading takes a hit on that. Those of us who e.g. manage mysql innodb pools will know what I mean as on every threaded pool you add you have to duplicate the cache adding ram overheads, and even the hit you get from switching cores and generating internal cpu cache misses is a factor as well.

Soldato
Does that suggest the maximum boost clock of an R5 3600 will be 4.2 GHz? The 3600X is 4.4 GHz for reference.

Also I agree, PCIe 4.0 is barely useful as it is right now, I doubt PCIe 5.0 will be a big deal in the consumer space. It also won't arrive for around 3 years. DDR5 might be more useful.

Also SMT is crazy useful for any heavily threaded workload. Obviously it doesn't help when you only need 8 threads and have an 8 core CPU, but anything that can scale very well benefits from it enormously (video encoding, rendering, computational workloads, etc.). Not to mention it's free threads when you've otherwise run out (e.g. many games are less bottlenecked by 4c/8t than 4c/4t, or 6c/12t than 6c6t). Yeah it's not a magic bullet but it's basically free performance in nearly the same die space.

Back
Top Bottom