Scotland has today introduced a minimum unit price for alcohol

Caporegime
It discriminates the very poorest alcoholics in society. Forcing them to spend more on their addiction. Which they will do. I know a few locals that still buy what would have been cheap cider, at an inflated price.

Discriminating against alcoholics is entirely the point, and they're continued poverty is in part because they're alcoholics, getting help is up to them ultimately.

As the NHS or government can't exactly find every alcoholic person out there to offer them advice beyond the usual channels (adverts or GP checkups if they ever go), that's unrealistic.

Permabanned
Do you have data to back that up?
Discriminating against alcoholics is entirely the point, and they're continued poverty is in part because they're alcoholics, getting help is up to them ultimately.

As the NHS or government can't exactly find every alcoholic person out there to offer them advice beyond the usual channels (adverts or GP checkups if they ever go), that's unrealistic.

You have data to back that up?

What is Minimum Unit Pricing?
Research into differing price policy options concluded that a minimum unit price is the most effective of a range of policy options. It has been recommended as a way of increasing the price of drinks such as own-brand spirits and white cider, which have high alcohol content but are usually very cheap.

Scottish government on minimum unit pricing.

Caporegime
You have data to back that up?

I didn't need data for my statement, its rather obvious that alcoholics are spending a gross amount of money that could be better spent on things other than liquid depression, i could waste my time finding it if you'd like, just to not reply to me afterwards because it's so obvious?

You've explicitly said this tactic isn't working, without proving so, maybe the drop in litreage is just that changing social factors or the 2005 act finally boring everyone, i'm sure the government will call victory regardless.

Caporegime
the second part of that report was that the number of alcohol deaths in Scotland are still on the rise.

I doubt that's going to change as the people dying from it have all sorts of other issues. It's majorly in the 45-75 age range, it's just compounding other poor health.

It wont go down by much until the chain of unhealthy older living is broken and frankly i dont see a lot of those people changing their tune regardless of how expensive the alcohol is.

Regardless this will take another decade to say its working and the full 20 to see if it achieved it's goal.

Last edited:
Soldato
An additional bonus is that the one man corner shop is able to compete with the supermarket on the retail park. No more massive loss leaders in alcohol pricing to tempt shoppers away from local stores.

The death rate will only fall when the people who currently suffer chronic liver disease have passed.

Permabanned
I doubt that's going to change as the people dying from it have all sorts of other issues. It's majorly in the 45-75 age range, it's just compounding other poor health.

It wont go down by much until the chain of unhealthy older living is broken and frankly i dont see a lot of those people changing their tune regardless of how expensive the alcohol is.

Regardless this will take another decade to say its working and the full 20 to see if it achieved it's goal.
Got data to back that statement up?

Permabanned
Yes, it is that simple. If they are medically dependent then they receive alcohol through the nhs. It doesn't cost them anything.
Alcoholics don't receive alcohol through the NHS. They get a few extra quid on their benefits if they're claiming benefits and functional alcoholics pay for their own, because they work and don't claim benefit. What planet are you on.
Addiction to alcohol is treated on the NHS by conservative reduction management.

Back
Top Bottom