Getting less then 10mbps on a 1gbps LAN with 100mbps internet speeds

Associate
Hi,

For some reason my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7577) has been lagging out when it comes to streaming videos online, so I ran a Google speed test and it is only getting under 10 megabits per second:
GqClifH

GqClifH.png

When I run the same Google speed test on my smartphone (Note 8) I get 87 megabits per second, so the issue must be with my laptop.

I have tried all the obvious things such as updating drivers, rebooting my router, etc - but it always stays the same.
I have tried the speed test using both ethernet cable (Cat6) and the WiFi adapter (Dual Band AC) but I still get the same result.
When I check the Network performance in the task manager it fluctuates between 4mbps and 10mbps.

I have obviously googled the issue and most people blame a faulty ethernet cable or faulty NIC, but I know the cable isn't the issue as the WiFi on the laptop has the same result.

Does anyone know what could be causing the issues, and can anyone advise any steps I could take to fix this?

Many thanks in advance!

Jon

Associate
Checking the link speed in the drivers tab? make sure its on auto detect.
Does your laptop have a link light, orange/green thing? These can signal the link speed (ie 10/100) between different colours.

That however does not relate to the wireless... so.... prob something else.

First thing, different browser... suppose you have done that already.
Have seen virus checkers doing wierd network related things in the past, i would disable all active virus checking SW while doing tests.

In fact booting windows in safe mode with network support is the best bet, if it doesnt come up with problems there then is some driver or application being loaded thats the prob.

Associate
OP
I didn't actually try a different browser! I will try that shortly.
I actually cancelled my Kaspersky subscription the other week and it's been slow since then... I will also try disabling that too.

Thanks for the quick reply, I knew I was overlooking something!

Associate
Thats what i thought first but that would not bring the wireless down with it.

Saw Nortons do something like this nearly 10 years back, other weird driver and startup related guff as well hence safe mode/w NW support is best for diagnosis.

Associate
OP
Ok so...

I used a different browser (IE, rather than Chrome) and that didnt make a difference.

I made sure my duplex was set to Auto (it was).

I disabled my AV - no change.

I rebooted into safe mode with networking and got 108mbps download! Eureka!

However I guess I don't really know what the issue could be as I have rebooted out of safe mode and now I'm back down to < 10mbps! Booo!

Any ideas what I should do?

Many thanks.

Associate
Ok then that actually helps a lot, rules out completely physical and off pc issues.

First off load up the startup manager. on win 10 its ctrl-alt-del then task manager then startup tab.
You will have a list of apps, pop them all off right now, reboot and see what happens, if you go back to full speed then its one of them so switch them back on until you find the 'tard.

There are other stuff we can look at but try this first.

Associate
OP
I disabled all my apps on startup then rebooted - no change.

I have also run the Network Reset, but that also made no change (in fact the first time I ran the test I was down to 5mbps, but it went back up to 10 the 2nd time).

I also followed a guide online to optimise my network adapter (before the network reset) to ensure there were no power saving features enabled - but this didn't help either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom